Question about setting up stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Apr 19, 2020.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey folks, happy Sunday. I have always carried my hang on in one hand and climbed with the other. I’m trying to be safer now and thinking about carrying it up on my back rather than a rope. Does anyone do it this way? Pulling it up by rope is what I’ve seen but for mobile setups what do you find to be the best way? Thanks and God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. I pack my stand/sticks in on a full frame backpack. Detach both from pack, attach bow to pack.

My haul rope stays tied to my stand and my stand has cheap Muddy straps. I tie my pack with the haul rope and put on the stand.

Set sticks. Then stand. Haul up pack with bow. Screw Hanger into tree. Detach bow and hang it. Secure pack (on stand, around tree, off branch) depending on the tree.

3. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice

4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My LW Alpha II gets pulled up with a rope after I set all 4 of my LW sticks (rope modified), my bow is on a separate rope tied to the stand.. I use a fanny pack instead of a backpack as I want all my straps handy in the pouches as I need/use them, and I use the strap and hook for the stand, I want my hands free as I attach the stand straps, a linemans belt is a must .... been using this set up since 2013...

5. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

6. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I use the stick caddy and hang my sticks and would climb down and back up with the stand and pull my bow up when set in. I was thinking about ways to do it on a single trip and which way would be easier meaning rope or on my back. I think the rope method looks effective and I also use the hook. I appreciate the ideas and responses. This is all part of the process for me in the off season. Just thinking and adjusting.

7. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually make 1 1/2 trips up so to speak ,,,, I'll set the bottom two sticks, I'll start using the linemans belt on the second stick for safety sake..... I'll come back down, put on the fanny pack and loop the remaining two sticks over the side pockets(left/right sides)... I'll position the stand flat on the ground and attach the bow to the bow rope and the stand rope to my fanny belt, making sure nothing will get tangled... go back up and attach the remaining two sticks, wrap the strap/hook around the tree, hang the stand and attach the other two stand straps ......

here's a pick of my gear at the base of a huge oak I was ready to go up ..... 4 sticks gets me to 18-20 ft .... higher if I use an aider on the bottom stick .. btw, my Fanny pack is strapped to the stand and my heavy coat strapped to it, my bibs, etc. are bungee'd to it all for the walk in .. I put my bib's on at the base of the tree, my vest/coat when I get up top and harnessed in ..

20171208_124655.jpg

8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I climb with my sticks in my hand and stand on my back. Bow stays on the ground with pull up rope attached. I do it in 1 trip up. I set 1st stick to tree from the ground, then hang the rest of the sticks from it. Climb up stick and reach down grab the next stick. Repeat the process until I get to the hight I need. Then take stand off my back and set it. Once on stand, pull up bow and I'm set to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  11. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    everyone has their own methods ... how can you climb with sticks in hand ... your not using a linemans belt ?? ... if thats the case, that is a huge safety mistake ..

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I climb with a linesman belt. Just figured it was redundant and didn't need to state it. Everyone climbs with there own risk and there are no set rules to climb. Read my entire post. I hang the sticks from the first stick and move them up with my hands as I climb. After 28 seasons of climbing trees while deer hunting, I have full confidence in my setup. Never been safer as I am with my current setup, but it's not for everyone

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    never is safety redundant ... ;0) .... there are those that still dont use 'em ... glad you do ...

14. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My advice: Never climb with a stand on your back.

A friend of mine went hunting out of state by himself when his buddy canceled on him. After a couple of days he stopped calling his girlfriend. She became concerned and called the authorities. They found him dead at the base of the tree he was trying to climb, stand still on his back. A screw-in tree step came loose and he fell a good distance with the stand on his back. When he hit the ground his head snapped back over the V in the stand breaking his neck. I miss that guy.

If using a rope is not for you, put the stand over one shoulder and climb. If you fall you may only break an arm.

Be safe.

15. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate that. I have always thought of that even when hiking in. I’ll be using a rope. I’m sorry to hear about your loss.

16. jacinda

jacinda Newb

Dislikes Received:
    following