Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To be fair, 20-30,000 people have died with the most of the country practicing some sort of isolation or sanitary measures. I wonder how many more might have died if we had just acted as if nothing was going on. As we normally do with the flu.
    Who can say? certainly not our scientists!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Swamp Stalker and dprsdhunter like this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You don’t need to be a scientist to figure out that more people would be dead. Even with a 1% mortality or less more infected would mean more dead. Simple math. Not sure what your point is or what you think my point was? We don’t do nothing for the flu we get the “flu shot”.

3. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My point is, 40-60,000 people died in the 2014–15 flu season without any isolation or any other beyond normal actions to prevent the spread. Not counting we have flu vaccines that are somewhat helpful.

We have 33,000 dead(official number) of coronavirus so far. And that’s with a large part of the country partially isolating, washing their hands etc.
    If we had reacted to coronavirus in the exact same way we react to the flu every year, (which is just carry on as normal) I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch to say we could have seen 100,000+ people die.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Swamp Stalker and virginiashadow like this.
  4. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
  5. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This thing basically screwed Trump because it is only possible to count the number sick or dead. The number of people who survive because of the response will never be known. So basically the shutdown could’ve saved millions of lives but the media will go with the narrative that the effort was a failure because xxxxxxx people caught it and xxxxx people died and there is no good way to counter that since there is no way to know how many more, or fewer, would’ve been infected/killed if they had done things differently. Heck, even if they had managed to successfully contain the outbreak so that say only 1,000 Americans got sick and maybe 10 died (which I think everyone can agree would’ve been truly impossible) the democrats and their employees in the media would still be saying that trump screwed up and that those 10 deaths are his fault and that if he wasn’t president we would’ve only had 50 people get sick and nobody would’ve died.

ash d likes this.
  6. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    The media was/is going to tell us how much of a failure trump is regardless of facts, details, etc etc. Its been that way since he won the nomination. I’m guessing they might influence some people but there are many more who turned off the TV and walked away a long time ago.

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is where I don't know whether to be disgusted with your democrat talking points or just really feel bad that your brain operates with a set of blinders held on with no engagement of common sense.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now lets not go to far the otherway. This really isn't like the flu. It is by far more virulent and contagious than the flu. Just look at the entire world to see that. Not one country nor any of their leaders were prepared for this . Then add China buying up all PPE weeks before news really got out. Also lets not play the fools in saying it was all played down in the first weeks. WHY OF COURSE IT WAS! Immediately you had the typical American A hole response. Brawls in stores over TP. Not to mention all other hoarding of essentials.
    Sure Trump should have gone out there and said Americans everywhere we are under attack by an unseen virus that is and going to kill hundreds of thousands of people. We have no cure ,vaccine, nor treatment. It is highly contagious. So stay in place and kiss your ass good bye. I think Democrats would finally be happy but tens of thousands would be dead from the out of controlled Fear and attitude of hey nothing matters so.....it's called societal break down Germ. Thats what would have happened. Then the virus would have gone to town racking the numbers up more. HUMAN nature you should try studying it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Defeating coronavirus today. Mission accomplished. Put up a trampoline and have the ball hoop up. Think everyone is happy to spend more time outside.

20200418_164109.jpg

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Flu? if this like a flu season then its unlike any flu season i seen in the 14 years i had my card. There isnt an ICU bed to be had for love or money with 150 miles of my stations
    Yesterday a emergency room physician tried to schedule a vent transport from the hudson valley to Springfield ma, it got canceled because the bed got filled before they could get the patient there.
    Almost every hospital in the capital region has repurposed their cardiac intensive care units to respiratory icu units providing they can get vents.

I am sorry, but the flu comparisons just make you sound foolish

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kindergartens and older.

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I would rather brave a deadly pandemic then home school my children. In fact i do... I feel for you

13. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think this was directed towards me but I did mention the flu in one of my posts. Heres another thought, heart disease will kill 650,000 people this year.

14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    You went from a poor comparison to a horrible comparison. At least influenza is a communicable disease. In fact, its not even worth the time to spell out the differences between them.

15. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why is everyone insistent on comparing the virus to other things that kill people?

You cannot spread heart disease... what’s the point of comparing the 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  16. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Apparently few buisness owners decided to have little protest today in local town. Haven't saw much about it yet except on FB. People getting restless everywhere it seems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wait until the nice weather gets here to stay.

Pretty soon AC units will be turned on, electric bills will raise and people will just get fed up with it.

I'll continue to do my part, I'll continue to ***** and I'll continue to question things. It's human nature.

Supposedly a Lowes employee has tested positive here at the Dirksen location. Lowes and Menards have been as packed as grocdry stores the past couple weeks.

Doesn't change a whole lot for numbers so we'll see what happens.

Picked up some flour, an 11.5lb pork butt and some hand sanitizer to keep in the truck today.

Store has everything arranged like a slaughter house as far as navigating goes.

18. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea they say that's what alot of the stores here are like. I honestly haven't been to store for week or more. Not because all this just really don't have reason too. Got a freezer full of beef and besides milk and bread don't go through much else. There's a small grocery store in little town fairly close so hit that up. Honestly all this hasn't effected me much as far as goin places. I'm around home or out at farm majority of time anyway.

But think you're right. Ppl are getting tired of it all. Especially outside of more populated areas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

19. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I understand your confusion with my comment about the flu. My point is that during this unprecedented event people still die from heart attacks, strokes, suicide, trauma etc. The difference is CV is being weaponized by politicians and the media to push their narrative. I find it disgusting and incredibility distasteful. Naturally if their narrative resonates with your personal biases you would lap it right up as has been demonstrated on this thread.
    Our knowledge about CV is changing all the time. The notion that we had all the correct information and the proper course of action was obvious and easily obtainable is laughable. There are things in my practice we no longer do because we wrong about them. Perhaps you can relate to this example of the many changes to practice I have seen over the years. When I use to work a rig we had MAST available and the notion of permissive hypotension wasn't widely accepted. Things change as more information becomes available.

My response above should help illuminate why I mentioned it. Again I'm not sure I was trying to compare the two in the way that has been suggested but I don't care enough about what the prevailing perception of my post is to provide anymore of an explanation.

However, at some point comparisons will have to be made as there are limited resources, budgetary constraints, and only so much NIH funding for research, as well as private sector interest. I think those discussions are above the pay grade of all the newly minted infectious disease experts, virologists, and epidemiologists born from this unprecedented event and certainly not that interesting to me.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    dnoodles likes this.
  20. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey if "handlebars" gets it wildlife numbers will remain unchanged hahaha

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk