Changing over to crossbow

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by pastorjim08, Nov 23, 2017.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys I've made the decision that this will be my last season with the compound. I'm almost 63 and I'm just not as strong as I used to be. I've also decided I'm pretty sure I want to go with a reverse draw. I've been researching reverse draw crossbows, and without shooting any of them, I've got it pretty much narrowed down to two, the Horton Storm RDX and the Barnett Revengeance reverse draw models. As far as I know there are only about four companies making reverse draw crossbows, Bear, Sorpyd, Barnett, and Tenpoint. Well the Tenpoint and Sorpyd are just too expensive and the Bears are just too heavy. So what say you all, anyone have experience with any of the bows mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Blessings..........Pastorjim

2. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know I’m getting myself a ✝️Bow this off season for Ground blind hunting... we bought our 11yr old 1 last Christmas and sitting in a blind this season with him hoping to get him his 1st I’ve come to realize how much easier it is using a ✝️Bow while in the Blind especially with someone else in there with you.

Having said that... I too was looking at the reverse draws but I’ve read up a bit on them and for me personally I’ve narrowed my search down to the recurve of Excalibur... I’m digging the new 308short but have my eye on a few others as well.. I’m going to drive up to Lancaster Archery (only bout a hour away from me) this off season and shoot them and then decide.

Also, I don’t want to post another site on here but there is a really nice site that is solely for ✝️Bows and their forum is very active, with lots of info and just over all discussions like here... what I’ve read and seen most ppl favor the Horton Storm Reverse bow over many of the others... just google ✝️Bow Forums and you will see which site I’m talking about...

Hope you find the 1 you will be using... keep us updated too.

Happy Thanksgiving as well

rknierim and pastorjim08 like this.
  3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Avoid the PSE Fang if decide to go with a regular draw crossbow. I bought one for my boys and it has been nothing but trouble. Had a recall a month before season started. Then two weeks ago, it derailed the cables and string when I shot it into a target after a hunt. PSE has replaced it both times but it has been a hassle. Also, the cheap scope is off about two inches to the right at 20 and about 4 inches at 30. I cannot get it to move to adjust anymore as it is maxed out on the left to right adjustment.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While I have never shot a reverse draw (them look funny) I have owned three Barnett's xbows. Never had a issue and have had good service and information from the company. Also they have been doing xbows for over 50 years and have made a bunch of them.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, my quest for the right crossbow is on. This w/e I shot the Horton Storm RDX, Horton Vortec RDX, a Tenpoint, Ravin, and a Scorpyd Deathstalker. The Scorpyd and the Vortec were very close but I had a bit of a problem drawing the Scorpyd. The tech said I wouldn't have a problem with the short cocker but they only had the long one. At this point, if I can try the short cocker on the Scorpyd and not have a problem, I will probably go with it. The Horton Vortec was a very close second though.

Blessings........Pastorjim

Westfinger and Ldsturg like this.
  6. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1 on the Horton Storm

7. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as reverse draw design goes, scorpyd was the first and is still the best. I own a few crossbows and the 150 vent I have is about as quiet as it gets. (pretty good for pushing a 440 grain arrow at 400fps) The little death stalker is a nice bow as well, its quiet, light and has plenty of speed. Scorpyd has great customer service as well.

8. Frank Siefer

Frank Siefer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Horton Storm RXD with the crank cocking system in 2017. It is 2nd to none after using it and taking a 10 pt buck.
    I hunt out of towers and when using a regular bow or crossbow if I got too close to the outside wall the limbs would hit the siding and throw the shot off.
    I'll be 74 this month with having MS since 1981 about 10 yrs ago I couldn't pull my compound bow anymore. So I bought a Hickory Creek 24" bow and installed their Bow Loc attachment turning the compound bow into a vertical crossbow. That worked well for about 8-9 yrs until I was unable to hold the bow at arm's length to shoot it.
    So it was a regular cross bow or quit bow hunting.

The Horton Storm RXD is accurate and easy to shoot. Only problem is you are unable to uncock it due to being unable to reach the string area by the trigger release. So you must shoot the bow to unload it after each hunt.
    So I bought the Tenpoint 2 piece uncocking bolt. When received there is a WARNING USE it ONE TIME ONLY. No where in the advertising discription was this one time use only stated. What a piece of crap for $10.
    Now when coming into from a hunt I just use a field point bolt and shoot it into a practice target. The bow is so fast I have to use 2 practice targets to stop the bolt at 20-50 yds. I place the practice targets about 6" apart so I can get to the bolt to pull it out.

I would buy another Tenpoint - Horton reverse limb crossbow again.

Forgot to mention the Hickory Creed vertical crossbow with HHA adjustable sight is for sale.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  9. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first X Bow was a cheap foreign job. It shot but that was about all. Didn't know if that was the route I wanted so went cheap. Little over a year ago I picked up a refurbish Barnett Jackal with warranty. Used it for the last two seasons and a lot of shooting in between. The wide footprint was getting hung up or catching going in and out the basement steps, through the timber, etc. Been thinking about something a little narrower. Ran across a Barnett Vengeance, fresh out of a shop with anything done that it needed, serving, string, etc. Also a dozen new 22" arrows plus 4 used arrows. The guy just ordered a new X bow and wanted his Vengeance gone. When I get it in my hands the Vengeance the Jackal will be for sale along with the arrows, etc. Barnett may not be the most expensive X Bow but they will kill just as good as the rest.

10. TorontoBowHunter

TorontoBowHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Excalibur Exocet. 200lbs. Works great. LOOK I notice it the BOW industry they appeal to individuals that like GAGETS. Fancy / elaborite things. I believe in KEEPING IT SIMPLE / STUPID. Less to go wrong/ less to fix. This bow does the job & does it well!!

11. tracker1

tracker1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using compound crossbows for 30 year, mostly Hortons, and I have had over 20 and never had an issue.

12. EvoldedWhitetailSolutions

EvoldedWhitetailSolutions Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Horton crossbows are nice, my buddy has one this is my first season using a crossbow due to a torn rotator cuff. I'm using an excalibur, very nice crossbow but do not like the wide limbs. I have been shooting compound for 23 years absolutely love it, but due to my rotator cuff, surgery, and now may have broken my elbow I dont know if I'll ever be fit for compound again.. which sucks because I have a new Elite and Matthew's in my man cave.. if I am to purchase a crossbow it will be a Raven

13. zakker

zakker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look into the Killer Instinct SWAT 408. Good price, fast, dead accurate, rock solid with a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'm not changing over, but I have a 2002 Horton Yukon SL (150lb) that I will be starting this season out with because of a torn rotator. Talk about ironic! I'm only able to draw my compound (60lbs) back twice, the third time is too labored, so I'll use my CB for now. After a month and a half in the sling after surgery, it's only been 4.5 months. I'm good to go, just need to build some more strength.

Here's my Horton. She's certainly not the prettiest thing in the woods, but I've killed 16 deer with it, and it hasn't given me a single problem over the years. All I've had to do was replace the string once. I have it padded and taped to make it quiet against bumping.

Attached Files:

Swamp Stalker and pastorjim08 like this.
  15. greg ballard

greg ballard Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Exocet that started out with carved limbs. Sent to Excalibur for 200 pound molded limbs so I guess it's an Exocet 200 now. About 20 yrs old and bombproof!! KISS

16. greg ballard

greg ballard Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Exocet that started out with carved limbs. sent to Excalibut for 200 pound molded limbs so I guess it's an Exocet 200 now. About 20 yrs old and bombproof!! KISS

17. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, pastorjim. Last year, my wife shot a X-bow for the first time. Will try to find the photo of her three shots- #1 and #3 were a Robin Hood and #2 was within an inch of the others. I mounted it on a plaque in her Lady Cave. Did I do that.JPG

rknierim, Oldcarp and pastorjim08 like this.
  18. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know you said you really want a reversed limb but do your self a favor check out Mission sub1 it has a lot of great things going for it. It’s accurate it has 80% let off which makes it a dream to cock you can decock it after a hunt so no need to shoot it and you can change your own string no shop needed..

rknierim and oldnotdead like this.
  19. JJ6901

JJ6901 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a Scorpyd for 2 seasons now. Nothing but good to say about the bow. Accurate light, easy to cock with correct tool. Most importantly, the customer service is excellent. Easy to contact, answer your questions, return calls in a timely fashion. Correct problems you might have. All in all a great company to buy a bow from.

20. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bumping up an old post I guess. Shoulder reconstruction seems to have changed a few things in life for me. Ironman training just went on hold as well as me continuing to shoot my 70 pound Hoyt. So I see you settled on the Scorpyd? I am not familiar with it, can you provide more advice?