Backyard wildlife

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by John T., Apr 10, 2020.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The wife and I were walking our puppies this morning about 7 AM. Out from the hedgerow waddles a possum. A few seconds late possum #2 follows. Have seen one before but never two. Now to the front yard. Our friend stopped and said a hawk was on the ground under the bird feeder. Seems to be dove feathers. Carried off the dove as nothing else was left besides the feathers.
    A few years ago, I saw a fox running along the same path of the possums.
    A friend lived east of town. They put a bird bath in the back yard. Well. doves would get water and fall asleep on the edge of the bird bath. A hawk learned if he roosted on a nearby tree, he could get an easy meal. They watched one day. A brown streak, a puff of feathers and the dove flew off in the talons of the hawk.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I get deer in the yard all the time I watched a doe with her two fawns just outside the bedroom window this morning. The hawks and crows discovered my squirrel traps and help themselves to the trapped ones. Possum, they get shot on site, horses and possums do not mix. I go with a 410 at close range top of the head. I have Sandhills and canada geese that argue every morning. The wood ducks have returned they love my oak savanna pasture lots of oaks for them to nest in. Place will be for sale week from next Monday.

3. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How old would you say the fawns were?

5. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    BTW, I'm in a subdivision so this is novel. My daughter and family built a house. The boys would sit by the upstairs window and watch the deer and turkeys. They were the second house. Now that there are several more houses, wildlife is getting scarce.
    Our church is two miles away. We have seen turkey and deer on the property. We stopped to photograph a hen and poults. The poults disappeared in the woods. Mommy didn't like us hanging around. She flapped her wings and moved toward the car. We decided to leave. Another time there was a hen on the back of the property. I called my son to show it to his youngest daughter. She looked and asked if she could hold it. Saw a big buck come out of the woods, cross the property and go into a patch of woods. My wife was coming in and the buck ran across the road.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Similar story, we live on the edge of a neighborhood. Wildlife viewing a nice bene, since we have undeveloped land adjacent.

Turkeys, Deer, Fox, Coyote, Hawks, possum, etc caught on trail cams from time to time, or a glimpse out the window.

One morning, I shot this, from the sofa...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last years fawns, they are still fawns till the new fawns hit the ground, suppose some might call them yearlings but they are not.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did not mention the turkeys those ugly things show up too.

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    10-4

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have everything Sota has. We have a few ponds so we get a ton of ducks and geese around, but not right in the front yard.

We also have a commercial chicken barn 2 hundred yards from the house. We have bald eagles in one of our dead trees every week. The dead chickens on the barn compost make for an easy meal for eagles, hawks, owls, skunks, and possum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sota likes this.
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Jake $289,000 all could be yours BHOD discount.:cool:

12. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Things I've seen in my yard include deer, bear, bobcats, coyotes, turkey, wolf, porcupine, woodchuck, couple of different hawks, bald eagle, golden eagle, cranes, geese, grouse, pheasant, snakes, squirrels, rabbits, raccoon, fisher and badger. There may be more. We have a pretty good size elk herd around here but I've not seen one in my yard.

13. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    We have two bird feeders- front yard and back yard. I'll try to get a photo of the squirrels hanging upside down to shake out the feed and then drop to the ground. Wife put out two hummingbird feeders. Had one come by the house last week. Wife said a magazine article said they send out a scout to see if food is available. BTW, we got interested in hummingbirds from a special issue of a magazine, Birds and Blooms. Interesting publication.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love having the bird feeders, and seeing the birds. When I go outside and do stuff it is rare when I do not constantly hear a bird singing. One of the things I appreciate about my place.

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Turkey season is wide open... I see two gobblers coming in the back field every morning like clock-work at 9:50... Can't bring myself to hunt them with a shotgun and shoulder surgery is keeping me from using me bow.

16. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

So, what you are really saying is that if picman gets an elk tag, you can show him where to hunt?

17. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ Oh, I can show you where to "hunt".

18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a snipe hunt in the making, to me

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

19. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea. those quotation makes make that response scary.

Elk tags are once a lifetime here. Not like I would be taking any opportunity away from him. I will probably die before I get one.

20. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was referring to the Elk herd in Jackson county around the Warrens and Millston area. I have no idea if tags are even available for this area but I could certainly show you where the Elk are hanging out.

A couple years ago a large 7 x 7 was hit by a small car. I don't know how but the car survived and the elk did not.

elk.JPG