The Good Dog Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cml5895, Mar 7, 2019.

1. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My dog Jones did that with a squirrel when he was a pup. Now he kills first and asks questions later. He is hell on the feral cat population at the bar.

ash d likes this.
  2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My poor old girl had to go into the vet tonight. We thought we were gonna have to put her down. Turns out she needs surgery that more than likely will extend her life a few more quality years. So we are working to get that set up. Best dog I've ever had in my life. My sweet old CC.

112702.jpeg

oldnotdead, axtell343, JeffC and 2 others like this.
  3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m cleaning all the slop from the dog on the sun porch wall and 3/4 bottle of Tito’s. I’m gassed gotta love the good good dog thread.

4. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    67A9F7A8-132C-4B22-B162-EAEC32C38AEF.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m getting ther E280CD1C-E9A4-4C9E-86B7-EC659DE521A4.jpeg E280CD1C-E9A4-4C9E-86B7-EC659DE521A4.jpeg

6. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. I have a boxer so I know all about cleaning head shake schmuu off walls and ceilings. There is currently a half-circle of dogfood particles in my laundry room next to his bowl - it goes all the way up one wall, across the ceiling, then back down the other wall on the other side of the room. Damn critter can easily store half a meal worth of food crumbles inside his lip flaps.

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stella girl is growing like a weed... in pure puppy form her days are filled with sleep, food, and play. Been taking her fishing the past couple weekends, she is content to lay on the dock and snooze in the sunshine most days. I swear she gets bigger every day

Stella 4-13.jpg Stella 4-13 2.jpg

8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A friend of mine, an employee at the bar, asked me if I could help remove a fish hook from the foot of one of their dogs. Of course I said I would. Her mother and daughter brought the dog over to the shop that I have there. I went to look at the dog who was in the back of an suv. Being a collie/great pyrenees mix, he is big boy about 130 lbs. He seemed calm and friendly like nothing was wrong. Grandmom held the dog while I removed the hook with a needle nose pliers. No reaction from the dog.

The whole family was so grateful that I received a hug from each of them. The real hero was the dog for being so calm and not ripping my face off!

oldnotdead, ash d, JeffC and 2 others like this.
  9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nicki turned 10 earlier this week.

[​IMG]

She celebrated accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty nervous for my "dog of a lifetime" right now. Jade is a Lab/Border Collie mix. She's 14.5 years old but was doing good besides getting pretty deaf and showing some hind end problems.
    The last few days she's been panting a lot and started pacing at night here and there. I really thought she was just in pain from her hind end and made a vet appt for the end of the week to see if they could do or prescribe anything that would help.
    Last night it got much worse, and now this morning she is very wobbly, threw up, wouldn't eat (she will walk uphill for a mile to eat one kernel of dog food), panting and drooling, and worst of all has a head tilt and is spinning in a circle in the same direction.
    Internet search on those symptoms doesn't show very good possibilities. Likely a "brain problem", such as a tumor.
    She is currently at the Vet while I wait for a diagnosis. Already have a permanent lump in my throat and don't even know what the problem is yet, but dreading the worst.

11. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Man..... I hope it isn't as bad as feared!!

12. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Mod-it. I hope it turns out good.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't post here because I do not have a good dog I have 3 little barking crap heads.

oldnotdead likes this.
  14. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Waiting game right now. There is something...I can't regurgitate what they called it...in a dogs inner ear that greatly affects balance. It has fluid flow through it and it is fairly common in older dogs to see it get blocked and cause all of the symptoms she has. It normally comes on very quickly and will then correct itself in 3-5 days. The issue with Jade is I've been seeing some of the symptoms of it for several days, but it did suddenly get much worse yesterday. The vet says it is either an inner ear issue like above OR a brain tumor. So we wait and see if she starts showing any improvement. If she improves it's the ear and all should be fine. If she doesn't improve there isn't much that can be done for a brain tumor.

15. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry to hear. I read you guys post with dog problems and my heart goes out to you. I've lost all 3 of my shepherds in as many years. All old age. Has a worm been concidered? I think I d go there over a tumor
    I hit send before I finished...please look up brain parasites in dogs. They cause encephalitis and lists the symptoms.
    You described I believe most of them.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    At 6:30 AM yesterday morning I opened the door to let my dogs out for their morning business. As soon as they were out I saw a coyote trotting along the edge of my bean field heading for the neighbors woods. My dogs were running toward it but stopped when the coyote started running toward them. They all stopped about 50 yards apart and were having a face off. That is when I shot the coyote. No need for any vet bills.

That coyotes behavior surprised me because usually they run away when I let the dogs out. Never seen one try to confront my dogs. :eek2:

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Greg props to you for having a loaded weapon on hand ready to deal with vermin.

GregH and axtell343 like this.
  18. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    I will do that OND, thanks for the info.

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was out mowing yesterday when my dog Zeva came walking up the driveway looking like this...

Zeva 2.JPG

Zeva 1.JPG

I quickly checked her over and determined that it was not her blood. Both dogs had been trying to catch some woodchucks that had been spotted on the property for a couple of weeks. I got my gun and went to investigate. This is what I found...

chuck 2.JPG

chuck 1.JPG

I believe that my big dog, MF Jones probably killed it and Zeve then gave it a tussle trying to do her part. She's not much of a killer. She got her first mouse about a month ago. Jones however, is a killing machine and didn't have a spec of blood on him.

Anyway, after cleaning her up, I resumed cutting grass and found the body of another chuck nearby. I buried them both out in the woods. I hope that was it for the woodchuck family.

20. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You rent them out???

GregH likes this.