Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What should the national strategy have looked like?

I think you're bringing a lot of post crisis book reading into this.
    Fauci and Birx have both admitted failure on their parts on the seriousness in the beginning.

Too many relied on the truthfulness of China, with the Chinese virus/flu, and China was nowhere near truthful.

I think that was part of Trumps early failings. He took China at their word. He defended President Xi claiming he was working very hard and doing a good job, all the while being lied to.

Sad to say it, but China Effed the world with a capital F and no lube.

2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Would you ever take china at their word?

As for the strategy if I was that smart I would not be here getting called ignorant and stupid by fix. I have read a lot the past 3 weeks to educate my self for the next election. From federal, state to local I am at least going to be able the ask the correct questions. I have live too long with my head up my own ass on this subject.

1st thing I would do after this is bring South Korea people in and see what they did and how they exactly did it. Then if I could I would hire those people as our pandemic team, like the one we got rid of in 2017-2018 that their sole task is to prepare for events like this one. If we never used them and pay them I am perfectly fine with that. Fact that we botch it so bad it's going to cost us a ton.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just stating that the two leading experts being touted at the moment have both admitted they downplayed the situation early on.

You're not going to find anyone that says Trumps strong suit is a world Pandemic or even a smaller scale epidimic. He's a business man, always was and always will be.

For the United States leaders, both national and at the state level, to say the one time they trusted him at his word he failed them is hogwash.

None of them understood the level of threat either, your OH governor included. Some grasped the reality early, but by the point that it was matter of factly found within the borders it was too late.

Every major hub had already been infected, every lay over spread it more, every connecting flight spread it even further.

The damage was done well before the pandemic was declared by the WHO, and they said travel bans were not needed early on as well.

dnoodles, TJF and oldnotdead like this.
  4. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is some logic to that. Where I work, we are considered an essential business, however, not all our customers are essential. In order to comply with our state's and MI stay at home order, we had to ask our customers to provide us with proof they were an essential business. If they did not or could not, we shut those lines down.

I don't see the items listed as being truly essential-especially if you were told to stay home.

Waiting to hear from people when Wal-Mart begins to limit the number of people in the stores and how their one way traffic flow in the store works out

5. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_0921.JPG

Our forefathers had an answer for this kind of stupidity. This moron should be locked up in stocks for a few days and let people spit on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

GregH and ash d like this.
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Firstly and for the third time. If you can't admit your are on the left of moderate then you are ignorant and not self aware. If you can admit that (BTW we all can see it) then you're not. Secondly if it bothers you so much that you can't let it go or stop begging me to "talk it out on the phone" then that also points to the same answer. If you don't like being called left then stop acting as such. I don't often agree with you but I have in the past respected the time and energy you put into your opinions as it shows maturity But whining, calling everyone lemming and beating the dead horse makes me think I was wrong. Move on man and save face and don't be afraid to be you. You are quite old for someone to have to tell you this but I don't mind.... You are you and you are wonderful. Be proud of you.

GregH, Okiebob and dprsdhunter like this.
  7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wonder what his preaching will sound like when he gets the virus?

oldnotdead and MnHunterr like this.
  9. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Okiebob likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People do some strange things in the name of religion.

oldnotdead likes this.
  11. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It seems you yourself went from not taking it seriously to handing out criticism about everyone else short comings handling it. This thing is hardly over and already it is a failure? You keep bringing up South Korea as the model by which these things need to be addressed. While they have done a nice job so far and I'm sure there are lessons that can be learned we are not South Korea.
    South Korea benefitted from their experience with MERS in 2015. If Trump said everyone needs to undergo mandatory testing you would have been the first in line right?
    As part of South Koreas aggressive contact tracing health officials retrace patients movements using security cameras footage, credit card records, even GPS data from their cars and cellphones. Is that scary too? I'm sure you would have been OK if Trump wanted all that from you?
    In South Korea they revised laws to prioritize social security over individual privacy during a crisis. Your ok with that right?
    South Koreans ordered into self quarantine must download an app, which alerts government officials if a patient ventures out of isolation. fines for violation can reach $2,500
    South Korea is a country of 50 million people in an area the size of Indiana. The US has 330 million spread out across this great country.

I believe there will plenty of room for improvement after the fact when we can look back and see were we went wrong and what we did right on local, state, and federal levels.
    I don't judge anyone to harshly regarding the handling of this situation. It is something we thankfully don't have much experience dealing with and it is still evolving. By the same token I find it in poor taste that political parties try to weaponize this situation instead of using it unify us. The social trust in South Korea is much higher than in the United States where political parties are constantly trying to divide us by sex, race, rich, poor and pit us against one another. Put away the politics and hope and pray that our country gets through this in the best shape possible so we can continue to be the greatest place to live on earth.

12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They announced last night there's been 3 or 4, can't remember for sure, new cases here in county live in. The bad part is the one individual was at a party on March 21st where 50-100 ppl were and either the same or different was at another on the 27th where 25 ppl where. So they're trying to track those individuals down to get tested. This was after the stay at home order went through.

Point being, who really thinks this could have been contained anymore than it has. I don't care about politics in these situations, there's no way you can hold one person or party responsible. Up until mid to late March nobody took this serious and many still aren't. Does no good to compare othwr countries response when they're a 6th of the size of many large cities in this country. Along with many don't already have the freedoms we do here so save declaring martial las Feb 1 and shutting down the entire country this is where we're at. Imagine that dumpster fire, so I'd say settle in and use some common sense because guessing we'll be in this for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is interesting to read support for Trump, being if we were in this exact situation with Hillary you all would be going crazy.

West would you have the same view if Hillary was in charge? Mine would be the same, I think about as much as Gov of Michigan as I do as Trump right now, she failed.

We were the least prepared country not counting china IMO.

Getting a test is not a big deal if I am called to do so. Yes, I would have before because my wife would have made me.

As for the intrusion, it's a two way street in how one looks at it. If you have the virus and have been tested should you be allowed to leave your house? Should you be allowed to live your life as normal? If you knowing have the virus and get some sick are you liable? If someone knows they have it, but put's their personal freedom over your health and you get sick or a family member does what is your thought?

The party jrk mention is an interesting discussion, is the person liable for getting others sick if he did so? Where is that line these days?

We absolutely can compare other countries on KPI's. It's easy to see why folks do not want too. The only one we can't is China, being I believe their data is garbage at this point.

End of the day the buck stops at the Whitehouse.

Okiebob likes this.
  14. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Say it louder for the people in back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okiebob likes this.
  15. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I ask to talk you declined, interesting definition of begged.

Perhaps we can get a left/right test so folks can understand where we all stand. You know what my problem is I am not really sure what left and right really are anymore.

Another reason is people's views changed based on the situation they are in. There is going to be a lot of right leaners collecting government checks these next 6 months, the same folks who whined about government assistance for years. How many right leaners want that stimulus passed this past week? If I support the stimulus am I right or left side? How many were against a stimulus in 2008, perhaps because it did not affect them or the dems were in charge. I supported the bill in 2008 because I had a lot of family in the big 3 here that I did not want to see lose their jobs. I support this bill for the same reason, am I to the left now because I liked the extra 600.00 weeks that was added? Am I back to the right because forcing Trump companies not being able to use the loans is not fair to his employees who are losing their jobs.

Here's personnel one, a few years back dnoddles and I had a discussion about capacity for semi-automatics, I felt 15 was enough, dnoddles stance was basically to buy what you want. Today my view is the same as dnoddles as I have 3 high capacity magazines(40 rd) I bought 2 weeks ago for my AR-15. This situation now differs from two years ago, I only live 40 mins from Detroit. So does that shift me to the right then now? I still want a better background check system does that shift me back to the left?

I am left-leaning because I think Trump botched this is the beginning? Now, do I shift back because I think Gov Whitemore not only botched it but continues to make excuses and blames others? Now, do I lean back to the right because Dewine has handled this better than anyone? Am I back to the right full now because I do think Trump has recovered and behind the scenes, I believe he's doing a good job?

Right/Left is just tiring to me, feel free to classify me any way you want, but when I do my checklist for when I vote it's going who supports my views the best if they are Republican, Democrat or independent really won't matter to me. I won't find anyone who matches my views, I'll just pick the one who matches the best.

Trump Vs Biden it's Trump for me, I guess I am back to the right:poke:

jonderrs7 and MnHunterr like this.
  16. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Germ likes this.
  17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We used to have a name for this, it was called American

18. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I've never felt the need to play the blame game. Blame creates biases. Blame is used to defend a position. Biases affect your perception of what really occurred. Life is neither fair nor unfair, it just is. Some people can't accept that things go wrong. Some things are simply out of our control. What you see as support for Trump is more likely indifference. I'm pretty sure a meteor could slam into the earth and some people would blame Trump (or someone).
    My disposition is empathetic and not judgmental. So no I don't care who is in the Whitehouse.

With regard to your question about the party that jrk mentioned. How about personal responsibility? If you are attending a party you assume the risks.
    With regard to your question, If you have the virus should you be allowed to leave your house and live your life as normal? If you are on a tax payer funded health care plan and are a smoker poorly controlled non compliant hypertensive diabetic on the verge of needing dialysis should you be allowed to live your life as you see fit? You should do the right thing by your own free will.
    With regard to if you know you have the virus but get someone sick are you liable? I'm an MD not a JD but I believe there is some legal precedence for this in the case of HIV. As always the devil is in the details.
    If someone knows they have it and puts their interests over everyone else and I or a family member gets sick. I think it depends on the details.
    Is it an 80 yo widow going to the store to get some food for her cats and I happen to be there because I forgot to buy 9 volt batteries and my smoke alarms keep chirping.

I can see that you don't like Trump. I think that its unfortunate that your biases diminish the credibility of your contributions because I feel like you could bring some value to the discussion.

Good luck and good health to you and yours.

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  19. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The first case recorded in our county was a 28 yr old that was never diagnosed. He died at home, the autopsy found it.

20. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received: