The what gear did you buy today thread!

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Jacob1, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews 6" Flatline Stablizer

HQ Issue Bow Case

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got the Plythal today. I ordered the 1.0 hoodie, the prima heat vest, prima heat bibs, and a couple of the 3.0 beanies. Wanted to get more but didn’t have my sizes available.

The 1.0 hoodie is comparable to the Under Armour Storm hoodies in weight and finish. I think they seem a notch above the UA on quality though.

The vest is nice. Seems like a great layering piece but the outer fabric is too noisy for my liking to wear as outer layer . I was hoping to be able to wear this over the hoodie with a base layer in 40 ish degree weather but again the noise bothers me as an outer layer.

Prima Heat bibs. The advice of ordering a size over was spot on. I wear a L in other pants/bibs. I am 6’ and 230 lbs. 36” waist. These are an XL and I wouldn’t want them any tighter. Will fit perfect if I lose a little winter weight. The finish is awesome. Very silent. Almost same feel as a Stealth strip. Pockets galore with nice zippers. There is no zipper on the front so you have to kinda put it on like a potato sack but not a big deal. Might be a little bit of a struggle with layers though.

The beanies are very nice. Guessing 3.0 is their heavy weight. Won’t be wearing it on the walk in unless it’s sub zero.

Overall I think I will be happy with this camo especially for the price. It honestly doesn’t seem quite as nice as Sitka or Firstlite but pretty darn close and take that with a grain of salt cause I’ve only fingered those two at the box stores. I guess time will tell as far as durability. I got all the above pieces for $280 so as far as I’m concerned I did ok

dnoodles likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I can’t wait for the chase!

4. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    See my reply to noodles. Also the cut and feel is athletic kind of similar to UA

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    thanks, brother.
    I got kinda burned by Nomad on a Camofire sale a couple years back. Their sizing was 2 sizes too small. You and I are about the same size (6-1 220 with winter weight) so as much as I thought the Nomad stuff was decent quality XL pants/bibs only fit me when I am at my fittest.

As far as the UA Storm hoodies quality though; I've had mine for....5-6 seasons? I wear it almost every hunt under 65* and I hunt a lot. I wash it frequently during the season. It still looks brand new. UA stuff is hit/miss; but that hoodie and their ColdGear fleece pants are bullet proof

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  6. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I have been very reluctant to buy before trying on. I would say for the bibs. If you planned on wearing more than a base layer and thin pair of pants Underneath then I’d go with a XXL at our size. I was on the fence about it but I like less bulk so I’ll deal with the XL. I haven’t ordered the Full rut extreme jacket yet but I’m almost positive when I do it will be a XXL.
    Same here on the UA hoodie. About 5 yrs ago I bought 2 and wear one exclusively for deer hunting and the other for waterfowl. GREAT piece of clothing.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ordered the Black Eagle FOCOS insert weight tool and some insert adhesive last night. Time to bump up the older arrows as I am liking the new ones.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  8. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny, I ordered more insert weights and the insert tool from Black Eagle last night myself.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

cantexian likes this.
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Black Eagle insert adhesive because the outsert on one the arrows I built last year pulled out in a target while I was shooting on Sunday. I have had that happen a couple of times when I have been using gorilla glue. Hopefully, this stuff prevents that.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  10. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Black Eagl adhesive is what I'm using and no issues so far. Don't screw around tho; it sets up fast. I reached for a field point to help seat the insert and in that time it set up. I had about a 1/8th gap. Smh. Easy enough to heat it up and get it out to clean up and reset. Lesson learned, but so far no issues with pulling out when shooting and I shot about 15 minutes after gluing in using a Block target. Not sure I'd recommend that, but I wanted to know if that would be an issue.

cantexian likes this.
  11. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 125 gr. Magnus Stinger Killer Bees came in! excited to let em fly!

Ridgerunner3 and justinwmoe88 like this.
  12. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How’s that phantom have you tried it out yet I have it all in the cart but is a pretty big investment. I’m just itching to buy it

13. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here with the price, I hunt out of a perfectly effective Summit Climber, no "need" to buy something else. But I bit the bullet and bought a Tethrd set up at the end of last season. I thought about how many more trees I could hunt out of with a low profile, lightweight set up. Without packing in a big platform. Plus being behind the tree, I can see a large benefit there. Long term investment. Hoping it equates to better hunting.

jonderrs7 and justinwmoe88 like this.
  14. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    I have 4 lock-ons all hung and set up but it would be nice to be able to get down and hunt pretty much anywhere on the days you feel your not quite in the right area or if the wind changes. I’d also be able to put it on and hunt all the public stuff around here easier and be way more lightweight and mobile for long walks

jonderrs7 likes this.
  15. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Just kinda stinks having to run all over the place to check cameras. Got five on private property and probably now gonna have at least three on a public spot I’ve been checking. Figured I could do some public scouting with that saddle a lot easier as well in the evenings. I’d be getting a nice view from above instead of just sitting on ground

16. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a good point. I hunt mostly thick timber on public, and keep several trees prepped for the climber, but with the saddle being able to hunt different trees much easier for wind and conditions will be huge.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  17. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing worse then getting to a prepped tree getting all set up around noon and at 3 or 4 the wind switches and the hunts over. With the saddle you can just move easier. You could move with a lock on just not nearly as easy

Cannon06 likes this.
  18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    just got this bad boy on my porch...try it out tomorrow

IMG_0056.jpg

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  19. doublea17

doublea17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pro V rest for the wife, Some targets, and a 2x lens from Optics 300

20. doublea17