Absolutely stumped

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Fuzz_27, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, I’m not one to usually ask for the online worlds opinion on much. But this has me stumped.

I found this buck bed while shed hunting a few weeks back.
    98022D65-EB4B-4075-9960-BE68B18E3759.jpeg

Now I know they usually have a couple different beds in a given area and use them differently depending on wind and other conditions. The part I can’t figure out is how to go about is getting around this area without blowing him out before I get there.

So I wanted to pick some others brains as to how they would go about this.

The Half GREEN Circle on the left side is my access point.

The PURPLE Circle in the center is a very thick area around a gas well that’s doe bedding. (Tons of and multiple beds)

The RED Square to the right in a private property so I can’t access there.

The Bed is marked by a waypoint.

(There is also no access from the top of the map)

3F8F1D91-7043-43C2-A196-F59C9E536689.png

How would you do this, being the buck if he’s in that bed can see the entire field in front of him.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is why bucks bed where they do, out of 10 tries you might get to the spot one time without him busting you.

Fuzz_27 likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know if that is winter / spring bedding or fall bedding? I get lots of wintering/ spring buck bedding but little summer/fall . I also get few early to mid season rubs, but they blow up late season winter.
    Get some spring sumner cam info. It could be young buck that move bedding areas more than an old mature buck that has a tighter bedding home area all year.

Fuzz_27 likes this.
  4. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is info I need to gather then, I never thought about it like that. Guess it’s time to get a camera up in there! Thanks!

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If possible cam it 360 and document wind. Make sure your cams are accurate for date and time. It is possible to sneak up on a buck using the wind if you know where he is. Good luck

Fuzz_27 likes this.
  6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Indians used to play a game called either deer-slapping or bear-slapping. Object was to sneak up on a bedded deer or sleeping bear, slap it on the rump and run! Especially important with the bear. Fuss_27, you have raised a question I never considered. Thanks.

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to shoot that buck coming from his bed, I wouldn't put a camera anywhere near it. He will know it's there. If you want to use a camera, I would place it on the closest food source. All you need is a pic of him to confirm that he is in the area, doesn't matter time of day of pic. Your best bet is observation. Set a stand at a distance and watch for him. Talking a couple hundred yards if possible. You find out his movement and travel patterns, he's a dead buck. When you find him, move in quick and hunt the next day. A bucks movement can change week to week. This is the way I hunt and have alot of fun doing it. I don't worry about if I bust him out, it's all for fun and a learning experience. It's good to try and find multiple areas that could hold a buck, that way you have many options to hunt thru the season.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shocker99 and GregH like this.
  8. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    who cares about getting up to him while bedding ? Find out where he is going ! If you do wish to hunt his bedding area get there an hour and a half before daylight.

9. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The thing is he seems to be going off just a bed. No info on whether he's trying to outsmart a young buck he doesn't plan on actually hunting or whether he has a smart old home buddy he wants a shot at. Getting cams out between where that bed and food and his entrance and bed, bed and heavy brush or more open woods. In summer he won't be finding buck groups in heavy cover. They protect those growing racks from damage. So info now allows better plans in fall.

Shocker99 likes this.