The Good Dog Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cml5895, Mar 7, 2019.

1. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cute little bugger!

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your puppy will make lots of deposits until housebroken or living outside. We are on our fifth/sixth puppies. They liked us and decided we needed a home with dog hair in it. So they adopted us.
    Sign in gift shop- Dog hair is both a condiment and fashion accessory.

JeffC likes this.
  3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The fine ladies at the bank I go to always give me treats for my dogs. I'm pretty sure my dogs think that's the only reason we go there. When I come out and get in the truck this is what awaits me.

bank treats.JPG

4. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First time I left my dog home alone he left a giant "deposit" on the island bar in the kitchen. As soon as I walked in the door I could smell it and went on the hunt. I spent 45 minutes searching all the floors around the house even pulling out furniture before I found it. Never even crossed my mind to check on top of the kitchen counters.

JeffC, dnoodles and TJF like this.
  5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Able to leap on tall countertops! It's Superdog! What kind of dog? Curious. Our two are mixed, mostly Chihuahua. One can jump on the bed, the other looks sad so we pick him up and put him on the bed. Both can jump on the couch and recliner. So far, in seven years, nothing like your experience.

6. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Boxer. He was 3 but was a rescue and never been house trained or even been inside before. When I got him he was 20 lb underweight, had been shot at least twice (birdshot from behind and buckshot from the side) and was scared to death of people. Took about 6months but now he is practically fearless; loves people, even strangers, and isn’t even gun shy. The only thing that bothers him now is he is absolutely terrified of garbage bags, doesn’t matter if they’re empty or full, as soon as you pull the full bag out of the trash can or start to get a fresh bag from the roll he will book it into another room and hide. I have no idea what caused him to fear garbage bags, he isn’t afraid while they’re in the trash can either, but as soon as you pull it out of the can he freaks. Best I can guess is the previous owner would stop and beat on him a bit while they were taking the garbage out.

ash d likes this.
  7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some people are total losers.
    My Lab/Border Collie mix was very timid and shy when I got her. Found her at the pound when she was around 8 months old. If you raised your arm, like to grab something off a shelf for example, she would shy away real quick. Classic sign of getting beat. Took about 6 months for her to stop doing that. Gun shy as all hell to this day, I tried starting her off a decent distance away from a .22 and she wanted nothing to do with it, just wants to find something to crawl under and hide. 4th of July is NOT her favorite day, although at 14 now she is mostly deaf so it doesn't effect her much these days. Probably one of the smartest dogs I'll ever have. Housetraining was as simple as catching her going in the house 1 time, scolded her, put her outside, never happened again...well, other than a couple of the runs incidents. She couldn't help it and you could see how ashamed she was.
    I think she hadn't ever seen stairs before in her life either, she was terrified of the steps going up to our bedroom before she finally got brave enough to try them. Was really funny to watch her. Then after a couple of days it was a very slow and cautious endeavor for her to try them out. After a week it took her about .8 seconds to go up or down them.
    She readily approaches anyone these days, and then nudges your hand with her nose until she gets the pets that she wants.

JeffC and GregH like this.
  8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of people are total losers.

The two dogs I have now are both rescues. If I ever get another dog it too will be a rescue. It is just hard to imagine how many dogs and cats are just throw aways to some people. None of them deserve to be treated the way they have been. There are so many dogs and cats available for adoption that a person could most likely find the exact kind/breed they were looking for. It just takes a bit of research.

There are pro's and con's to rescues. In my case, my dogs were both 9 mo. or older when adopted. They were both house trained and through with chewing and destroying things they shouldn't have.Also, after a couple weeks of consistent love and attention they bonded well with my wife and I. That part was excellent. On the other hand, we had to figure out what their other issues were and what may have caused them. Meaning what abuses they were subjected to.

My smaller dog, female pit mix, wants to love everybody and greet them but is very shy. Any sudden move has her running for cover, usually behind my legs. She is improving but it takes a lot of time to heal from abuse.

My larger male dog was way different. I believe that he may have been abandoned and left to fend for himself. Once he bonded with us (about a week), a different problem surfaced. He was way over protective of us. He would lunge at people that came near us on walks. I'm not kidding when I say it took over 2 years of working with him to get him to accept people in our presence. He has been great for the last 3 years. Protection is his thing. He take it very serious. He's the perfect homestead dog.

Sometimes the wife and I wish we could have got them as puppies but it is still rewarding to us to see them enjoying the hell out of the life we've given them.

Sota likes this.
  9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have no idea how I will take my never leashed micro crap heads to a small lot with neighbors and they will have to be leashed walked. Not ashamed to say that we have taken this into consideration before committing to moving. They get to run all over, I can open the back door and let them outside and whistle them back after 15 minutes not sure how they will adapt.

10. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ May have to put up a fence for them.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And the dogs will hate it, they are so used to walks where they can run full throttle and chase critters.

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    he looks like a little A-hole. In a good way.

13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to think it; but they may have put him in trash bags and suffocated him and/or beat him inside them for fun.

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nuff said....

20200306_233629.jpg

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  15. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Cleaning lady came today and after a few minutes I noticed Hank was MIA. Called him and he didn’t come so I thought maybe I left him outside. Went outside and called him and still didn’t come. Searched all over the house and finally found him in one of the upstairs guest rooms. He had taken every squeeker toy up he owned up there and was guarding them. Apparently he thinks the maid is a rubber chicken thief.
    upload_2020-3-18_10-8-18.jpeg

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't recall if I ever posted these when I got them last August, If I did sorry for the double post. These are my two sheep guard dogs, both girls: Saltie and Pepper. They're 1/2 Maremma, 1/4 Anatolian and 1/4 Pyrenees. They live out with the sheep flock 24/7/365. For size scale, that wire thing behind Pepper is made out of cattle panels and 4x4 posts and that's a 50# gravity feeder inside of it. I have not weighed them but I'd guess they're in the 130#+ range
    20191026_181108.jpg 20191026_181103.jpg

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They look forward to kicking some ass I bet.

GregH, CoveyMaster and cml5895 like this.
  18. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, they don't take any guff even from each other...but they're big teddy bears. I jokingly said the other day I should have named them Huggs and Kisses, when I sit down in the pasture one wants to cuddle and the other tries to lick my sunglasses off.

ash d likes this.
  19. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Betcha that they wouldn’t be all Higgs and kisses if you were a coyote or a sheep rustler.

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    No, they don't even like me petting or working with the sheep. They don't growl at me or anything aggressive but when I get close to any of the sheep both dogs try to position themselves between me and the sheep and look at me like, Uh uh bud, this isn't the way we do things here if you want a petting zoo go find a darn cat", lol. I had to work with the sheep yesterday so I closed them in my trailer and let them through one at a time giving them dewormer as I worked. I locked the dogs outside and they about went nuts.

GregH likes this.