Mathews Wins Lawsuit Against Bowtech

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Mar 4, 2020.

1. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Internet tough guys??
    Please explain?

I don't like ass- kissers ( of any sort), Sota is the best. He's earned that title:whip:, and done it well.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was trying to figure out Our bear whisperer, I did a google search on the difference between ignorance and stupidity and really it is a mix of both. If one person tells you that you look like a horse you tell them to f off but if 3, 4, or 5 tell you so, start shopping for saddles. Again all this is metaphoric and requires a reading comprehension level above a certain level and there will be a lash out, sad but predictable. bnb start shopping for saddles you are the backside of a horse. How many P & Y bucks have you posted pics of on this site?

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I suggest you guys look into using the "ignore" feature before you're both forced to take a break for a while.

Sota likes this.
  4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    images6R2BWKNG.jpg

Sota likes this.
  5. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn’t think there was a way to do this until you posted this and I tried a little harder to find it. Thanks lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last time I got suspended Innovative Outdoorsman got booted. (took one for the team) The record will show I only respond when provoked.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This whole lawsuit thing has been going on for years. A little dose of honesty here. Since Bowtech made it big, Mathews has had a "hard on" for them. Simple fact was, Bowtech was doing it better for many years. This started back when Mathews was riding the solocam marketing campaign into the ground and was struggling with the fact that they'd have to abandon single cams in favor of hybrids/binaries in order to keep up with the rest of the industry. At that time, Bowtech was selling a ton of bows. Mathews seemed to be simply regurgitating the previous years models and putting a new name on it (they still do to a large degree).

If you dig into what patent infringements were involved, it appears many of them are ridiculous. If I ready correctly, one involved the routing of the cable on the cam and the degrees of bend back around a post. I believe limb angle is another they went after. Bottom line, Mathews is nitpicking and wants to try to bury Bowtech. They have been the biggest threat to their empire the last 15 or so years.

All of these companies, including mathews, are taking ideas from one another. This is not new. The problem arises when a company as powerful as the almighty Mathews puts patents on the most minute design ideas. Every other company out there is bound to run into these patent issues. In my opinion, Mathews and their business practices are really bad for the industry. They are quickly painting their competitors into a corner and many of them don't have the bank roll to put up much of a fight in court with them. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowtech files an appeal and at least wins back part of the settlement.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Any time there's a lawsuit like this I think it's easy to say "oh, well you were just upset because they were making better products than you!"

The fact is, Mathews, and specifically, Matt McPherson invented very intricate pieces of technology and had the forethought to patent them to protect his inventions. Regardless of how "ridiculous" people may think they are, the US Patent Office saw them as viable patents that were allowed to be protected. At that point, infringement is infringement, regardless of anyone's feelings about it.

And what company doesn't have a hard-on for a startup competitor that comes in and starts stealing their lunch? That's just business. I still don't like AT. :lol:

Now, I don't think it's bad for the industry at all. Mathews has a long-standing history of licensing its technology to other companies - as they did with the single-cam design for well over a decade. Other companies, including Darton, have been licensing patented technologies to their competitors for a long time. This is certainly nothing new. And if you believe the information that was put out, Mathews attempted to reach a licensing agreement for years before finally resorting to legal action. It could have been case-closed years ago, and nobody would have ever known.

As for Bowtech - I think they will be fine. They abandoned the cam designs that were infringing on the patents 2 years ago and have since come out with a new design that, quite frankly, is pretty badass and looks to be doing very well. They now own the patents on that new technology and I'm sure will seek to protect them if the need arises.

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    21 patent infringements seems to be a bit more than ridiculous, regardless of the minute details. It would appear that it would fall much closer to intent. And, apparently it did.

I hope both companies become stronger for it. Competition is always good for the consumer.

10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: