Broadheads??

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Daniel kahut, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Daniel kahut

Daniel kahut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just looking for what people prefer to use for a broadhead for turkey hunting...thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Buckeye Bowhunter

Buckeye Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m currently using the Afflictor K2 Hybrid. Took a nice bird with that setup that only went 30’. You get more leeway with a huge mechanical, which would be a good choice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of folks take them successfully with a big cutting diameter mechanical, the extra cutting diameter helps to hit their small vitals. Mechanicals aren't legal in Idaho so we are stuck with trying to use some type of fixed blade. Just shooting them with a fixed blade sucks IMO, if you miss their small vitals, which happens on occasion, they run a long ways or even fly off. I've had better recovery from putting an adder point or even just a washer behind the BH so that more energy is transferred into the bird rather than just a plain BH zipping through them like warm butter, it just seems to help to shock them and keep them from running off right away.
    I think the "Gobbler Guillotine" types are really good, either a clean kill or a miss, but you have to use a really stiff spined full length arrow with them and in many cases alter the tune on your bow to get them to fly good. Not great if you have one bow and like to shoot 3D which is right in the middle of turkey season.
    There is a head I really want to try called the VPA Turkey Spur. Look it up, it looks like it will hit like a ton of bricks.

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Head chop them with Magnus Bullheads. The easiest shot in all of bow hunting.

5. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is the affective range on a bullhead? I’m assuming it’s like a Fluflu, after 20 yards or so it’s not accurate.

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can accurately shoot them out to 50 yards. I have videos of 40 & 50 yards shots. BUT ... I would never shoot a turkey at those ranges. The furthest that I have ever shot at and killed a bird was about 25 yards. I have killed over 30 now with Bullheads and all but 2 have been at 10 yards or less. I generally do not take long shots at birds. Not really because I cannot make the shot, but generally because I just really like working birds close. In fact I would argue that a Bullhead is a better choice at long range over a body shot head because the Bullhead is a clean kill or clean miss. An errant body shot head at a distance often ends up in a wounded bird that is hard to recover at best.

oldnotdead and jonderrs7 like this.