LOTS of pictures of nothing: Stealth Cam STC-QS12 V2

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Eric Young, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Eric Young

Eric Young Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New guy so please don't BBQ me, first post, not even sure if I'm in the right place.....looking for troubleshooting advice. I did search for this but didn't find anything.

Two of the above cameras were gifted brand new to my kids and I. Put them out and had very poor results.

They take dozens and dozens of pix of nothing and eventually the camera is dead. Random bursts. Like 15-50 pix/videos back to back. Nothing there. Video and still mode. All day. All night. No rhyme or reason to timing. No, there's no grass in the way, limbs moving, etc. Two different cameras, probably a dozen different locations.

I believe I've gone through all of the settings.

Side note: The night videos are basically un-usable. They're truly terrible. The day videos are ok at best. Daylight pix are ok, night pix are definitely not amazing.

This is not a bash, I just basically can't trust these cameras to take a photo/video, much less have it be of acceptable quality.

Did I get two duds? Do I have both set up exactly wrong? Searched the FAQs on the site, there didn't seem to be anything troubleshooting related.

Thanks,
    -Eric

2. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    did you try walking in front of camera? how high off ground are you hanging camera? Have a old Stealth cam in garage..would take a pic sometimes, but lots of empty frame shots..was junk. Do the walk test at different distances from camera, pull card and see if it captures you or it takes too long to trigger and get nothing. Welcome to the site. Jeff

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff is dead on with this. Use your house as a control and make sure you are not too close to the ground. But most importantly, remember all cameras can be created equally... And by that I mean ****ty. Every brand had bad and good even in the models.
    Test it and let us know what you find. Welcome!!

4. Eric Young

Eric Young Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

I might try the "house control" thing.

I have other trail cameras that I've been using for several years, so I don't think it's inexperience or being too close to the ground or anything like that. All my other cameras are fine, and those, and these StealthCams, have been on the very same trees at different times.

Anyway, I am 99% certain it's not how I am hanging my cameras.

Did some poking around in the meantime here and found that there is a firmware update so I'll download that and see if that helps.

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Primos stealth cam that does the same thing, tons of blanks. I think the movement of the sun triggers the damn thing.

6. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought 1 of these a few years ago because it was a stealth cam and it was cheap. I run other more expensive Stealth cams (G-30) that are great.
    This particular model is junk and never worked correctly from day 1.
    I finally gave up on it and threw the damn thing in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I find that it depends on cam position because if the sensitivity is set high those "blanks" aren't actually blank. The camera is taking picture of the shadows the sun causes as it moves across the sky. So its actually taking pics of tree shadows or cloud shadows moving past the camera.