Screw in style tree steps (how far apart do they need to be)?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Feb 25, 2020.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He guy just trying to get some advise from fellow hunters who use screw in tree steps. I know there are alot of factors that change from one persons to another persons setup. The height of the person , how far up they are going, how many steps they are using, etc... but I am trying to see what a good average distance between steps I should be spacing them. I have never used screw in style tree steps. I usually use either 20 foot ladders or individual sections and I usually go around 20 to 25 feet up in the trees with my lockons. I just don't want to have to screw in 30 tree steps when I could get by with 10 to 15 spaced out properly. Also what brands are you guys using? I know there are a ton of companies that sale these things and I know you get what you pay for. I just want something safe and that I will be able to stand on and not feel like my foot is going to slide off the side of it everytime I take a step even though I am using a lifeline and harness.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a love hate relationship with them. I strayed from them a few years back. I now use a 20 ft stick and then 6 or so steps to get me the rest of the way.
    My technique was always knee height. I can always reach higher but it's uniform and with full gear I know there will not be a issue.

JHasty likes this.
  3. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    15 should get you high enough. At 20” apart which is a comfortable step with heavy gear on that will get you 25 feet with 15 steps. I’ve been using them for 20 years or so. Ameristep makes cheap steps that I have never had any issues with. They have a slight bend up at the end which helps keep foot from sliding off. Make sure you run steps up beyond platform height so you can climb past and then step on. I’ve had some of these steps in stands that long that they are now part of the tree. It has grown around them. Tip for installing them is drill a small pilot hole with cordless drill in past bark to get them started of course if you don’t do this preseason noise may be an issue. Otherwise slam it into the bark and crank away.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

dnoodles and JHasty like this.
  4. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advise Fix and Happy. I have a few extra lock-ons but not enough sticks and ladders so I figured screw in steps would be a good economical way to be able to put several stands in different locations and not have to spend a ton on ladders and sticks plus I could always unscrew a few from the bottom and keep any sticky finger people from being able to climb up and steal my stand. I appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction!

Fix likes this.
  5. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully you see hunting private land. Don’t think your allowed to use screw ins in public. I also use to take steps out when I used lock ons to keep people out but since I switched to a saddle the only thing they could get is an ez hanger and the steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

JHasty likes this.
  6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Public land or private land? Curious. Tennessee WMAs prohibit "wire, nails or other metal material for building or attaching tree stands." Lot easier to carry a bagful of screw-in steps than a treestand. Good hunting!

JHasty likes this.
  7. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here John T. You cant use anything that is considered permanent on WMA/State owned land. If I were you use screw in style they would all be for private areas.

dstouffer likes this.
  8. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will NEVER use a screw in step again. About 10 years ago I had one snap off one cold morning. No it hadn't been in the tree for years, only weeks. Lucky I wasn't far off the ground. The next year my Brother's foot slipped off a step on a snowy morning. He was smart enough to be using a climbing safety line, but he did catch a step with his thigh before it got taunt. He was very lucky I was close enough to here him call for help. Lots of blood, ER visit & stitches.

Now I use a screw in step ONLY for a hand grab to enter/exit stand or as a hanger in the tree.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    JHasty likes this.