DIY tower stand

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Daniel kahut, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Daniel kahut

Daniel kahut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is it necessary to use the corner brackets for tower stand? Are u able to build a tower stand without them? Also is it necessary to cement the legs into the ground? I would think that these two processes would add stability but would add about 200 dollars to the cost and just seeing if they are a must.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    20190218_131022.jpg 20190218_130808.jpg 20190218_130458.jpg I never say do as I do, That said none of mine are ground set. I use bracing. I have 6- 16 ft, 4x8 to 6x10. My built blinds are all made with 2x2 framing. One is 1/2in plywood covered two are cardboard sided and roofed. I'm on a high wind hill. Winds strong enough to turn a 12x20 canvas barn in to a pretzel of twisted steel framing...no issues with the blinds.. To save money every thing is construction scapped. Bracing is done buy that and one of the best woods out there...blk. Locust trees. Young straight oak , dried ash.
    Ok two different devises. Will get some picks up soon..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    dnoodles likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    20180907_131707_resized.jpg

Kindled won't load all pics but this short hub platform made it. This one has
    rehab metal floor grating,that was a beast to handle, covered by rehab indoor/ outdoor carpet. Front braising is 2 pieces of doubled piping from that wind destroyed canvas barn I mention. Smaller pipe inside larger. Short "ladder" is industrial cable tray section.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  4. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You don't "need" to do either. I have built 3 tower blinds. None of them are buried in cement. Only one has the corner brackets but it is also the tallest tower at 14 feet. The other 2 were 8 and 10 feet.

The corner brackets will set an angle for your legs to be wider than the base of your stand (that is the critical part) along with joining your floor frame together. The end wood of a board is not very strong so you will need to lag screw into your 4x4 (or larger) legs from 2 directions.

When I built that shorter 2, I created a pocket for my 4x4 to sit in. After I put on the floor sheeting, I flipped it over so the pocket was up and then put door/window shims in the pocket to create an angle to the 4x4 and lagged them in. When done, I flipped it over and stood it up.

Here is a pic of the 14 footer.

blind.jpg

Tony, jonderrs7 and oldnotdead like this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I wish I had real steps. Maybe some day...

6. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to cut the ends of the legs that attach to platform to simulate the use of the brackets. If I remember right the brackets are slanted 8 degrees two directions. I'd haveta look and see if I still got pics of how I did it. Was fairly easy tho. Afterwards I just used bunch of fairly long deck screws but plan on drilling some holes for few bolts once finish blind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was too lazy or perhaps just not smart enough to layout the cuts in the legs. It was really simple to put the shims in and just look at the angle.

8. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My 10 footer has a ladder style that comes up into the bottom of the floor system. The ladder is 2 of so I can take the lower half off. No worries about having to take anything out so it won't get stolen. It is a royal pain in the area now that I am older. It will be reworked to have a stairway.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  10. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    oldnotdead likes this.
  11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Been pricing wood for the tower Short, and the hoop house today. Strange I can buy treated wood at a lower price that regular common.
    I found a perfect place for the first tower going in. It's the area I've been cutting diseased beech, really tall but poor basswood. Only taking the messed up ones smooth straight stay. There are a few bad maple. Not good as roost trees and definitely not log trees. Dead ash . Some of this will go to raised bed framing some will go to sons wood stores and some bedding logs and turkey look outs. Turkey here love climbing around on my hing cuts and logs left. Fun to watch .
    Any whoo I'm thinking 6 ft will be good and 6x6. Each east side leg will just clear to large healthy trees I'm putting it in front of. I'll have a long window between the tree's and two on each end a swiss door and two short window to the NW. Normally I do a flip up window. Keeps rain off gun barrel and shades the sun. I'm also looking to do a hoop house type roof. I have a lot of construction rebar mesh 4x8 sheets. I'll cover in 2 4x8 cardboard sheets and then a camo tarp. Siding will be cedar rehab siding planks.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to build one on the son in laws farm, will be comfortable and warm can't wait to bring the grandson to sit with his pops.

13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I built one at my house and I used sanotubes and Crete. I think it depends on where you have it. Mine is on food plot and gets high wind.

14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    All mine are in high wind, but if a building "structure" is permanently anchored, buried corner post they could tax them. They come up and check after they see google map aerials. We have a real B for an assessor. Many hire lawyers to go to their assessment hearings. County isnt too happy with her either.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  15. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Generally, I have found, living in several states, that real estate determines that anything permanently attached to the property is part of the property and taxable. I knew a fellow who lived in a major city in Ohio. Instead of an in-ground pool, he installed an a above ground pool which was not considered part of the real estate and not taxable.

Jason44680 and oldnotdead like this.
  16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    We have most people in the country that want a garage, they use " amish sheds". They are on skids and then if they want decks they go with free floating ones. As long as they aren't attached they are not taxed and don't need building permits.. One guy nearby has a seasonal camp he rents out until hunting season. 4, 100 square foot buildings next to each other. None taxed.
    Just like the 20 x 12 ft canvas "barn" we have and the old 100 sq . Ft goat barn with hay loft the 2 chicken barns I built. The hoop house won't be taxed either.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  17. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to male a quip about your taxes but then I remembered, WI taxes ponds. Yup. Ponds.

oldnotdead likes this.
  18. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    F NY

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So when I gave hubby my material list for hoop house I slid in 2 10'4x4 I've decide to go with 5' high not 6. May raise just a tad with blocks I have. Tired of climbing ladders and easier to conceal with planting vines and brush around and on it. Also to move with forks on tractor if needed.that will also get a start tomorrow weather willing. I want it up for turkey season.

20. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Canvas barn? Interesting. I have seen some big outfitters tents at Bass Pro and other places.
    ond, just got a text from my son. Was supposed to go fishing with him tomorrow at a pond in the subdivision. He said the governor issued a directive for just about everyone to stay home. So much for turkey season. Photo of the hideout? Good luck with the turkey season.