New Bow wearing me out!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ridgerunner3, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Moved up from 60# to 70 and from 85% to 80% letoff. This thing is an absolute monster, but I'm having to limit the reps so much that I'm struggling to sight it in completely. Today is the first day I've been able to really make an effort to sight it in, since I had to take it back to the shop to adjust the peep up about half inch. Noticed I was moving my head down to the peep, messing up my anchor point. About 10 shots is all I'm getting before I start making mistakes executing the shot, but I think I have it close at 20 and 30 yard range. I can tell over the past couple of days my shoulder stamina has improved somewhat and I think it may take longer to get used to than I initially thought. Typical overachiever crap; biting off more than I can chew. I love shooting, but I am taking breaks as soon as I start to feel mistakes creeping in, because I know the misses are me not the bow. As soon as I get it sighted in, I'll be on coyote thinning mission. Anybody else ever made this kind of move?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to practice all year maxed out and then drop it to 55-60 right before season. It gave me a huge confidence boost. But last two seasons I stayed maxed.

3. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I personally would work my way up with the weight, this will build your confidence as you increase your weight. Shooting too much weight can lead to frustration and shots not being properly executed. As long as you stop when you feel any type of fatigue you should be fine. Just know that too much weight can lead to mistakes and mistakes can become repetition if you are getting tired after a few shots.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  4. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    with today bow's it's not all about you're draw weight.
    i'd stay at 60# and save those shoulders... a torn rotator cuff will affect other thing in your personal life (speaking from experience)
    what would you do if any injury happen (shoulder) and you could only shoot #40 draw weight bow

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got her dialed in pretty good now and feeling good about it. Modified anchor point is getting easier to repeat as well. I do appreciate the thoughts from you all and definitely dont want to hurt myself, but I have zero problem pulling the weight. It's just the reps were fatiguing me pretty quickly. Plus I haven't put in this much shoot time since about September. Crazy the difference 10 years between bows makes! I haven't had this much fun shooting in some time. Ha! Too bad I have to wait almost 8 months to kill a deer with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

kgtech likes this.
  6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the 80's there was a video floating around of a guy named Dan Fitzgerald, don't know if you ever heard of him. Anyway he was shooting an 85lb bow and shooting broadheads through new 55 gallon barrels. Well I thought if he can do it so can I. Now you must remember, back in the 80s bows didn't have the high let-off like they do now. So I shot 85lbs for several years which was stupid and unnecessary. Now in my mid 60s I can't even draw a 50lb bow without a lot of shoulder pain. What I'm trying to say is, take care of that shoulder.

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

JStarr likes this.
  7. Pasty_Man_Thighs

Pasty_Man_Thighs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Did the same thing you are doing and ended up with a torn labrum that kept me out of the woods for two years. I'm a 30 year old very active guy. My mistake was not listening to my body. I could feel myself getting tired at the end of my sessions but I was thinking like I do at the gym "one more rep, you can do it." Well, I got sloppy with my form trying to plunk one more arrow and felt a pop. Nine months of hardcore PT and then rolling through the Archery Strong program a few times I'm finally able to draw 45# with no pain and discomfort.

My advice, dial it down. Hit the gym and do some form of focused Archery lifting/training program and slowly work up your weight to where you want to be. It's gonna take longer but you might just save yourself from my stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Solid advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk