New Mexico Elk Draw

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by scarps23, Jan 20, 2020.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at trying to draw in New Mexico. Been to Idaho and Colorado. Building points for Wyoming elk trip. Will probably head back to Colorado, but thought it was worth exploring other options to see new area.

I've read quite a bit on it and have a fair understanding of it. My question is whether it makes a difference of applying earlier or is it randomly done for non-residents. I would think they would have to wait until all applications are in, but wasn't sure.

I saw 84% of the tags are to be given to residents. Then another percentage to guided hunts. Wanting to get a better understanding of it and how to best approach it. Looks like the regular hunting license is non-refundable. 3 choices and then a 4th choice that is for a zone. I would probably be looking at picking 3 choices and not the 4th option. Would be 2-3 people going if that helps or makes a difference. We aren't trying to get into a top unit for giant bulls. Just want to have an opportunity to chase either sex elk. I'm definitely meat hunting.

Please PM with any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    New mexico is a random draw, as long as your application is in and the tag is paid for before the deadline you will be entered in the random draw.. the date has no bearing as long as you make the deadline.

Nonresidents are awarded 6%of the tag allowance for each season and unit. 10 percent of the quota goes to the guided draw. The rest are reseved for residents.

Keep in mind you have to front the entire tag cost, good thing though NM issues refunds promptly.

If you have an group applicatio keep in mind that, first there has to be enough tags for the group and secondly the will pass over a groupe if your draw and not enough total tags for the group remain. So its much harder to draw in many cases. Perosnaly i would avoid it if you can.

3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've participated in the NM draw three times. All for rifle. The first time I didnt get drawn and my dad and I suspected it was bc we put in together. The second time we put in as individuals and we both got tags in a decent unit, our second choice unit if memory serves me correct. And this last time, my dad is now a NM resident, he drew a tag and I skunked. I was prepared to by a ranch tag from an outfitter but after meeting the outfitter I decided to just hunt with dad and call it good. Its really more about drawing a tag in a unit you prefer, which can be tough. Personally, I'm over New Mexico elk hunting. I shot a decent 6x7 in '14 and spent a lot trying to do it again. Realistically you need to be ready to spend $15k with an outfitter.

Oh and the year I drew a tag, I put in the last day available. I would not put in together, that's an all or nothing and more than likely it will be nothing. And be ready for residents to complain about how they give out too many non resident tags. We have a member on the forum that did a diy hunt in Unit 12 last year but I didnt hear whether he was successful or not.

4. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info from your prior experiences.