New bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ridgerunner3, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been kicking around the idea of getting a new bow. Just bought a Hoyt Helix 70# 27-30 draw used. I feel bad bc it wasn't through a local shop but it was a great deal I couldn't pass. Dammit I got kids...I shot a lot of 2019 bows and even though the new Mathews intrigued me I decided to go with the hoyt based on many things I wont really go into bc I dont feel like typing a ton. My Drenalin is still hanging in the garage and has served me well, but I'm ready for an upgrade. Going with a heavy arrow this year. Gotta figure that out as I go forward, so any input is welcome. Anyway I'm looking forward to getting it and shooting it. I'll update as things progress.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Hoyt wasn't an upgrade? I am guessing you have been at this long enough to know what you want. Heavier arrows make almost any bow seem better. Good luck.

3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do this every year when I receive the new PSE catalog. I keep debating whether or not to get a new bow. I decided last year I would upgrade all the accessories on my current bow, 2010 PSE X-Force GX, so that if I decided to get a new bow this year I would at least have that chunk taken care of. Now I'm just waiting for my local shop to get a new Carbon Air Stealth Mach 1 so I can go shoot it. And no, I'm not getting the Nock On edition. But more than likely my current bow is just fine and still kills.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  4. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Yes the Hoyt is a huge upgrade from my 2009 Drenalin.

5. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    I liked all 6 bows that I shot for 2019 while kicking tires. They all were impressive and it kind of came down to really small things with the Helix that others may not like. Never been super loyal to one brand, but I do like what PSE is doing now (at least what they say they're doing)Cant remember which PSE I shot last year, but i didnt care for the grip or the draw cycle and it came in at the bottom of my list. Still blew my old bow out of the water though. Like you said, nothing wrong with my old bow that still kills deer, but I felt it was time and the Helix got me excited.

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what arrows you prefer, but I find the Gold Tip F.A.C.T. system nice for adding FOC weight. Make sure to figure out what overall weight you want to end up with, adding weight runs you out of spine pretty quickly. With different insert weight options, plus the FACT weights you can build a pretty heavy arrow with a lot of FOC. I find that I don't notice a group difference between the Hunter Pro's and the XT's, so I went with the XT's for my new arrows last year. They are flying fine for me in comparison to my Hunter Pro's that I used previously. The Pro's will now be my 3D arrows for the extra speed they have.
    Enjoy that new bow. I keep thinking about a new one, but my simple little Carbon Knight does everything I need it to. The draw is a bit nasty to get over the hump, but that's really my only complaint. I tend to be cheap and wait a few years and then buy a left over. I'm pretty curious about the new Bowtech Reckoning with the super easy to tune cam system, and the SR6 (I've always had the vice of being a bit of a speed junky), but haven't went in and shot either one yet.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  7. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not particularly set on any certain arrow. Shooting victories this past season and gold tips previously and was pretty happy with both but I never heard of the FACT system. I'm pretty new at the FOC game so I need to see what are some good "heavy" ranges. Seems like over 400 total is what I'm finding is supposed to be a good number. Honestly idk what total weight my last set up was for sure. Thanks for the info!

8. fadlirya

fadlirya Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]