Bowhunting...with glasses??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mr.O, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Help! Im 46 years old, and going to the optometrist this week. It looks like these aging eyes may need glasses!
    Any tips on getting glasses for archery and bowhunting? Can you still use a peep sight? Do you "see" the frames in your sight-picture? What about lenses fogging up?
    Thanks in advance.

kgtech likes this.
  2. HillviewHuntClub

HillviewHuntClub Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m 20 and I hunt with glasses already. It’s for my distance vision. Sure helps me spot deer easier. As far as shooting I don’t notice the glasses at all. I use a 1/4 peep sight and I shoot with both eyes open. But beings it’s for distance it makes the pins glow more so they look bigger than they actually are. So I have a CBE sight with the smallest pins they make. And my glasses fog up if I walk in on a cold morning and my body temp is warmer than the air temp. So when I stop moving and get In the stand the temperature difference makes them fog until my body temp goes back down.

Hillview Hunt Club

Mr.O and MUDSHARK like this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the opposite, my eyes are getting worse for reading. Though my pin is blurry, I remove my glasses to hunt. Problem solved.

Try it both ways (with our workout glasses) to see which works best for you.

Mr.O, Okiebob and MUDSHARK like this.
  4. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I need glasses for distance as well. They do fog up as hillview said. You just need to make sure the lenses are tall enough. I have gotten a couple of frames that had smaller lenses and when I closed one eye to aim I could see the top of the frame. When you are trying them on just keep your aiming eye open and close the other. If you see the top of the frame get a different pair. I have also gotten a second pair just for hunting for this reason.

Mr.O and MUDSHARK like this.
  5. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have glasses and I hate them when it comes to hunting. Anytime it’s cold they fog up constantly and it’s so much extra movement to clean the fog off the lenses. Just wait till a deer comes out your blood pressure rises you release a breathe and boom you can’t see a thing and they won’t unfog until you clean the lenses or wait long enough the deer is gone. I’ve never had an issue with peep sights being bothersome. I am nearsighted, I much prefer contacts I have a couple months of them I save just for hunting season. One more thing, don’t think you’ll ever wear a face mask again with glasses on. Stock up on face paint haha

Mr.O and Okiebob like this.
  6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear contacts because I hate hunting with glasses. As others have said, the lens fog up and if the lenses are small, it can be difficult to actually see through the lens and peep correctly. Personally, I would consider contacts before hunting with glasses.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to contacts years ago because I hated hunting with glasses on. That's one of two or maybe three good decisions I've made in my life. :lol:

MUDSHARK, BowhuntOnly and Mr.O like this.
  8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm nearsighted and wear glasses, I'm almost ready for bifocals.. So yeah, no face masks due to fogging up. As far as shooting, I spoke with my optometrist and told him I'm a archer for what that's worth. When I draw I automatically use my thumb to push my glasses back so as to not get the frame in my sight picture. Other than that, I'm still accurate out to 60 yards when target shooting and I fling a couple at the 80 occasionally with success. I've tried contacts but Oklahoma is well known for blowing dust and so I've just learned to live with the glasses.

Edit* make sure to pay the few extra dollars for the anti glare treatment.

Mr.O likes this.
  9. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After 20 yrs on submarines I developed distance issues. I have glasses and multifocal contacts. I wear my contacts anywhere from 12 -18 hrs a day and have worn them for over 20 yrs. The glasses rarely get worn. I recommend trying both options.

Mr.O likes this.
  10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hated it, one of the reasons i have worn contacts the last 25 years

justinwmoe88 and Mr.O like this.
  11. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tell the optometrist what you are needing. I knew of a fellow who worked in the construction trades and did a lot of overhead work. Glasses were bifocals in reverse. I have been wearing glasses for about 30 years. Never had any problem with shooting firearms, handguns, archery.

Mr.O likes this.
  12. bogob

bogob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Glasses are a pain in the butt perriod! Especially for hunting !! And with eyes that require a different prescription in each lens, it's a bigger pain in the butt!!
    On the fog problem, try fogtech. You can order it online at fogtech.com
    The only thing I've found that helps.

Mr.O likes this.
  13. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been wearing glasses most of my life. I haven't found any major issues. Fogging can be an issue but there are ways around that. Keeping your nose uncovered, wearing a bandana over your face allows for greater airflow and less fogging. I have used "Fred" an anti fogging solution used on surgical equipment as well but rarely bother.
    I started wearing Bifocal lenses and that is kinda a drag when hunting from a tree stand. Things up close and under you will be blurry. When I remembered I would just use my distance vision glasses. I have kinda adjusted to this as well. I think you will adjust.

14. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lasik..... Best decision I've ever made.

15. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone! That gives me some things to think about. We'll see how this goes

16. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    I have glasses with anti glare on the lenses. An up here in North Dakota where it’s windy, like mentioned earlier, the little bits of sand and debris over time from the wind hitting the lenses has worn some of the anti glare coating off and makes it like Looking through a windshield in the rain with no wipers on. Those are not scratches it’s what’s left from the anti glare coating and it has to wear off you can’t scratch it off. I now have to replace my lenses which I wouldn’t have to do if I never had that coating on them. It started coming off 4 years ago and I just dealt with it until it started giving me headaches. But in 4 years of wearing them there is still some on there and if you try scrape it off it scratches the lens. Glasses are a need and contacts are a serious help for hunting. You can hunt with glasses but you will regret having to take all those extra steps. And i would hate to have to tell someone a shooter buck stepped out and I couldn’t take a shot because my glasses fogged up. Anti fog sprays don’t work. I used to play hockey with an itec clear face mask instead of the wire one and I tried every anti fog spray out there. Some work for a short period of time but when your blood starts flowing and you start breathing they fog up. Just my 5 cents worth!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Okiebob, MUDSHARK and Mr.O like this.
  17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can remove that coating with etching liquid... Might save you some money brother.

Mr.O and justinwmoe88 like this.
  18. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Where do I get it this could be a life saver. I’ve tried goo gone that didn’t work neither did gasoline

19. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    This is on the list of important things to have done in the next year or two

20. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rain-X makes an anti-fog liquid that tested best in a car magazine article

MUDSHARK likes this.