Need some help

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by atlasman, Dec 29, 2019.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw the Carbon Xpress Piledriver 390 on Midway for $200 Black Friday week with everything included....crank, bolts, quiver, scope etc. Couldn’t resist at that price and I am actually astounded how nice it is as I honestly expected it to be trashy.

If I decide to change anything it will be the scope.....it’s actually fine but I’m sure there are better options.

Your opinion on best gear??

Bolts
    Broadheads
    Scope
    Rail/string lube

Anything I’m forgetting LOL

Thanks in advance

2. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I topped my PSE Fang with the HHA optimizer speed dial and the Redhead single reticle scope that I took off my muzzleloader (replaced it with a NIKON) It is accurate to the yard out to 100. Sight picture is way less cluttered than a multi-reticle scope. I also use Bloodsport bolts, gravedigger broadheads and lighted nocks.

3. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    throw away most xbow scopes you get with package, I went to bushnell dusk to dark in 1.5 to 4 power has a thick crosshair down to the x then a finew wire, can really see crosshairs to line up shot even at dusk and dawn

Ldsturg likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not a scope person myself Hatfield but my ten point scope on the wickedridge bow is spot on and I can release my target bolt in near dark dead on at 20 yards.
    Actually the scope is why I own a crossbow. Walked into Gander to buy a 10.00 card reader. I was all about no inclusion for crossbows in bow season. Well I thought hypocrite, spout off without ever shooting one. So I picked up and shouldered a couple. The Wickedridge came up and it was instant. An extention of my body with a perfect sight picture. I literally bought it on the spot and never had to adjust a thing. Dead on at 20,30,40 that was 4 or 5 yrs ago. In fact I'm taking that and my Remington 700CDL 243/ Nikon pro to the gun shop this month because I can't get the same thing out of my rifle rig that I have with the cross bow. So I don't shoot it.

5. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    oldnothead, I am glad you are happy, When I first started shooting xbow, The scopes were multi line crosshairs, up to 6 lines, the fine lines were hard to see , especially in low light, Next I tried the lighted crosshairs, which I really saw the crosshairs well but could not see the deer ! went to Fllet Farm and diligently tried about 30 scopes, came across the bushnel dusk to dawn was very impressed, I am also a simple person who will not shoot past 40 yards so I do not need or desire multi lines, with the new modern bows a competent person can shoot from zero to 30 yards with virtually no adjustments and out to forty with just a little hold over

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a strange person when it comes to my perceived comfort zone . Actually strange on many levels I just find a change near impossible...LOL It took me 15 years to give up my old Hoyt compound. It took months of shooting every bow out there in my price range before switching. I have great cutlery but go to is a cheap free knife I have with missing rivets and needs constant sharpening. It fits my hand and is the perfect thickness and shape. I have a 25 yr old GAP hoodie with half the sleeves missing and near see through. My go to work shirt , it's just comfy. The list goes on, it's a click in my brain that locks such things in. Breneke slugs only ammo that goes through my browning shot gun. DR mower is the only weed cutter I'll use,its 28 yrs old. We just keep replacing cables, wheels, even rusted handle bar. Took me 40 yrs of being a Democrat to go Republican. I just voted lesser of evil in primaries and voted the best in Generals waiting for Republicans to stop shooting off their own toes. Driven a few cars until I was nearly driving in seats over a frame... Hhhmmm reading this ..perhaps I'm just cheap...lol

7. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot my Piledriver a couple times to dial it in and then checked the scope out to 80 yards......out of a lead sled but I was DEAD NUTS at 80. I have no intention of ever shooting that far at a deer but I am super stoked at how this thing shoots with out of the box bolts and a cheap scope. Probably the best deal for $200 I’ve ever found in hunting gear

oldnotdead and pastorjim08 like this.