Sitka gear...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Dec 29, 2019.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is the big deal? Todd? Justin? Why don't you guys wear this stuff? I just don't get it. There is such a rage over this stuff that new comers into the sport are almost being manipulated into thinking if they are not using it they won't be successful. I personally would never spend that kind of money on camo. I have worn a lot of different camo brands and patterns over the years and as long as I have decent cover and keep my movement to a minimum, the deer don't even look at me. I think it is crazy. I understand marketing and business but it's a shame that young people are made to think they need to spend thousands and thousands to get into bowhunting. I have heard warm, comfortable, patterns, etc. Am I the missing out on the breakthrough of the century? I guess confidence in the woods is expensive these days.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You will have to ask a yeti user, they can justify it just as well.

Shocker99 and WildernessPhantom like this.
  3. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do not own Sitka but I have heard it is worth the money. You'd have to ask a Sitka user.

4. toadmeister

toadmeister Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    High end hunting gear (Sitka, First Lite and others) has helped me sit longer and more comfortably with less movement. Or it has allowed me to be active longer without overheating, getting sweaty and stinky or funky. Most the high end stuff is lighter and quieter too.

That's a generalization if course and no doubt there a hunters more successful than I doing it in loin cloths and Wal-Mart specials.

But if you got money burning a hole in your pocket, spend it towards something you love doing. Life is short.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It’s the exact same as spending $1500 on a new flagship bow. Necessary? No. But if you have the jack and you want to be more comfortable while in the field then why not?

6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will come forward as a former hater. For me the attraction is being warm. I wouldn’t waste my money on this stuff if I didn’t have any interest in hunting when it’s cold. I personally don’t care for the camo pattern itself but the materials used make it a must for the late season. That’s the only time I wear it.
    I have a winter coat I wear to work and I have one I wear out west skiing. The materials used and price of each reflect that.

kentuckybuck, tynimiller and ash d like this.
  7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly....I despise the pattern...and is one of the reasons I keep fighting buying it....but having tried some of it out and the testament from my (non-bought by sitka friends that use it) I 100% know it is one of the best out there for cold weather and just the sheer inability for layering as much.

I liken it to buying suits, is a $500 suit necessary...nope...but it sure as heck feels nicer, breathes better and lasts longer than my $100-$200 ones without a doubt.

Necessary no, worth the money...I'd say yup.

Also why would Justin and Todd use something they're not sponsored by? I mean I'm sure both and the team use items by makers NOT affiliated with the show, but there is no way they could get away with an entire different camo/clothing line....

8. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I broke down and bought the Fanatic set this year...worth every penny I spent. Super comfortable, built with a bow hunter in mind and probably the most comfortable gear I've ever worn.
    Damn if it hasn't really been cold enough to even wear it enough this year, but the few times where it got under 20 degrees, I didn't think about the price. It was a different kind of warm. Like a breathable warm if that makes sense. Do not wear it walking more than 30 yards, it heats up quick.

That is the best way to sum it up.

I think I'm supposed to say "I'm a saddle hunter" as well.

Suncrest08, fletch920 and jonderrs7 like this.
  9. Garrett Godlewski

Garrett Godlewski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I debated and I think im going to be purchasing the fanatic bibs and jacket for next year. I was going back and forth between fanatic vs the incinerator bibs but settled on the fanatic.

ash d likes this.
  10. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can understand the need to be comfortable and warm. After all, hunting is supposed to be enjoyable. I guess where I live and hunt it just doesn't get that cold during the archery seasons. It is good to hear that those that use it find value in it. I hope everyone has a safe and happy new year. God bless!

Shocker99 likes this.
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka lost me when I saw a simple billed hat that they wanted $35 for, was the hat made of revolutionary fabric, no, did it perform better than any other ball cap, no. The expensive part of the hat was the sitka badge.

Shocker99 and WildernessPhantom like this.
  12. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what turned me off as well. I have no interest prestige pricing items. I love my incinerator bibs and jacket though. I spent to many days cold and wet as a kid and young man. I'm all about being warm and comfortable afield doing what I love.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thiessens is a new performance clothing company that is online ordering only for now. I think they are based out of Nebraska, but my products shipped from Minnesota. I ordered one piece to look it over after hearing some great reviews. It is still new to me, but I liked the quality well enough that I have ordered just about everything they make from the medium weight stuff to the heavyweight stuff. Time will tell, but the price is reasonable in my opinion when compared to Sitka, etc.

I do also own a Sitka jacket and will admit that it is an extremely well made and well designed piece. I have no experience with their late season products.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Uchase2 likes this.
  14. toadmeister

toadmeister Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a link?

Down in my parts Theisens is a farmer/hardware store that also sells hunting stuff.
    https://www.theisens.com/hunting-clothing/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, I actually went to the farm store looking. The online clothing place is spelled with two "s". Just google how I originally spelled it.

16. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally hate the sitka patterns (except for ground forrest which until recently was only available overseas), and I dont own the more expensive late season pieces, but I stay warmer with fewer layers and can sit longer. Its worth it just for that. I am by no means a fan boy, as I own pieces from Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu, and Cabelas, but calling it like it is, its just better made clothing than your average off the shelf hunting clothes.

You have to be selective on things, as mentioned above, $35 for a hat is ridiculous. Im sure their $80 gloves are awesome, but Im not buying them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. brett8133

brett8133 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a pair of Sitka ascent paints I think they are and a thin hoody for elk hunting out west as well as a t shirt . I bought my stuff on sale and I can tell you 3 elk seasons and deer seasons the pants are are awesome for moderate temps down to 30’s with merino under garments very durable and comfortable . The fabric is tuff as nails and stretches great when in the mountains hiking . I can see me buying more when I catch it on sale .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the cams pattern is the last thing I worry about in hunting clothing, in fact I rate not have any camo pattern at all. I killed few metic tons of game wearing sitka though that for sure.

Okiebob and tynimiller like this.
  19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You moose and other large creature killers...always making us lowly whitetail guys feel so inferior....

Okiebob likes this.
  20. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t think young people are made to think they have to spend thousands of dollars to get into bow hunting, I think that young people now a days care more about what they own, use, drive, etc.. then anything else and posting about it on various social media outlets. If someone genuinely wanted to get bow hunting and researched and we’re on a budget they can get set up with good gear at a relatively good price point. If they want to be the guy that has a corvette for his first car then ya there gonna dish out the coins. When I started out I wore used hand me down gear and I did fine, froze my butt off but I stuck it out. I do own Sitka gear now, best gear I have owned. My gear was a progression as I got older I was sick of being wet/cold and wanted to treat myself to quality gear that helped me hunt in comfort.

Westfinger and Shocker99 like this.