Bow choice help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bushnlo, Dec 7, 2019.

1. bushnlo

bushnlo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have bow hunting since I was 14 and in January I will be 43. The last 3 years I tore a forearm tendon and had hernia surgery so shooting my 70 lbs bow is good for only about 10 shots then I am hurting for a week.
    So the past 3 season I have had to use a crossbow. I am finally feeling stronger now and feel like I can start exercising again and getting back to bow strength but still afraid of a re injury in my arm. Between my age arthritis and nervousness of re injury I am think about selling my 70lbs elite energy 35 (love that bow)and getting a 60lbs Mathews. Last Mathews I owned was a switchback and I remembered it being so easy to shoot so I was hoping they had a bow in there line that was kind to me like switch back was.

2. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Vertix 62 lbs is a very smooth bow to me. A lot smoother draw than my 31 Impulse. and more quiet.

4. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now, let me first say that I have Mathews Halon 32 and love it. That being said I went this year and pulled back the new VXR and the Hoyt Axius ( aluminum bow). The VXR had its good spots and all but for what your referring to the Hoyt draw cycle seemed distinctively smoother and easier. The Hoyt at 70 drew easier than the 62 pd Mathews drew, I am going to say due to the cam sizes but I am no expert. Just thought I'd share. Also, I have not trie the Elite, Bear, Bowtech, PSE, etc. and they might be even better. But as I mentioned I have and love my Mathews 32 for the time see no reason to really switch. Best of luck!

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest thing that's going to help you is simply pulling less weight - regardless of what bow you shoot. 60 lbs is more than adequate for whitetail hunting and you'll be a lot happier when you can shoot and not be in pain. With that said - I would try to shoot a couple of bows and see which one feels best for you. What feels good to one person the next guy may not like. So don't take our word for it - go shoot and decide for yourself which you like best. If you decide on a Mathews, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Since the introduction of the Halon, there has not been a flagship bow they've produced that I haven't been very satisfied with.

7. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The draw is why my switchback xt is still my favorite bow. It’s 70 lbs but I can shoot and shoot and my shoulder stays happy. I love to shoot so The bow will always be with me. I also have a 70 lb elite that I love, but although much newer and faster, it is my backup. I shoot with friends that have triaxes and halons and while their arrows may get to the mark faster, mine are just as accurate and usually more consistent. My advice would to not pay attention to the need for speed and get another solo cam. They can be had for great prices now and are a dream to shoot. They will kill animals just as good as they did back in 2007. I admire your desire to get back into it and wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest, I have never shot a bow less than 70 lbs. the newer bows at less weight would give you similar speed to an older 70 lb bow. The stiffer risers do make a difference. I’m sure I’ll eventually find out. Oh if money only grew on trees. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had similar issue and bought an elite e32 60lb limbs and had it at 54 lbs. now I have it maxed at 60. I just shot both sizes of the the New VXR by Matthews and it was like shooting a Mercedes benz. I liked the 31.5 better. Sounds like you need to pencil in a whole day dedicated to shooting bows. As painful as it may be

10. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know you said 60lb , but last year when i was shooting the new flagships and year prier. Some were set at 50 to 55 lbs and they moved my 484 grain arrow pretty quick. Don’t over look some 50 pounders.

11. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It’s funny the conversation came up. I shoot a Matthews HTR at 63 pounds. However in November I started getting tendinitis in my left elbow. It hurt really bad to draw the bow. Last week I went on archery talk and bought an obsession sniper and I now have it sighted in perfectly and pulling 54 pounds. It draws easy and does not hurt my arm. It’s still pushes my arrow Close to the same speed as my HTR at 63 pounds. Don’t overlook lower poundage bows. Today’s bows are faster so you can get by with lower weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wildernessninja likes this.
  12. klntime

klntime Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot a lot of the new bows this year and I agree with others about poundage and go shoot for yourself. With that said, the 2 standout bows for me this year are the Mathews VXR ( and I haven't been a Mathews fan for many years). As far as draw cycle goes, the bowtech revolt was by far the easiest and smoothest. I made the shop double check the poundage because it felt that easy to draw.

13. Bowbunter k-32

Bowbunter k-32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ this exactly how I feel.

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anything but a mathews..

15. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought the VXR 28 this week and it is by far the best shooting bow that I have ever shot. Even compared to my triax it is an immediate difference. I didn't see where you posted your draw length, but I would either suggest the VXR 28 if it is 28 or below, or the 31.5 if it is above 28" so that the string angle isn't too sharp while at full draw.

16. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way late in responding, but I shoot the PSE Response with Evolve Cam system. I am shooting 60 lbs at 90% let-off at 267 fps with 478 gr arrows with broadhead. I am with Justin in suggesting to shoot them all for personal fit. I am 49 yrs old and as you can see, you do not have to sacrifice much to get great performance for Whitetails. My bow is in the $850 range (not outfitted) if price matters.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums