ozonics or scent lock

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Forestman, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Forestman

Forestman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I`m new to the site so I hope this is the place to ask this.The last few years I have been seeing the bucks I`m after but keep having trouble with the wind changing.I want to here from guys that have tried these two things and here your opinions on how they worked.I hunt 20 feet up and think next year I will try 25 feet but really looking for some info on these before spending the money these cost.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I ozone treat my clothing and gear, I have a scent free tent set up. I go from my shower to the tent to get dressed. As clean as I hunt I know from experience that the wind is the most important factor in hunting unbusted. Granted with all the scent control measures I use the does do not go full stomp and snort but they know something is up.

JStarr likes this.
  3. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The one constant that you have to deal with is your breath. You can be totally sent free but you have to breath. Thats why I think the ozone machine's that put out ozone while you hunt may be the ticket. My best success was when I built a fire and get smoked up. I currently try to be as scent free as possible and use the wind. I tried ozonics scent machine but it's just too much to carry around. I may go back to it because where I live you never know where the deer will come from. The higher you get the better as long as you can see. Bow season I'm at 20 ft. Gun season I'm 25 + ft. I stay low during bow season because of all the leaves on the trees plus shot angle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Forestman

Forestman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhtr1 when you used the ozonics did it seem to keep deer down wind from smelling you?They say the ozonics has a smell and that`s what makes me think it could still scare deer where I hunt.

5. Forestman

Forestman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You guys may of seen this before but I found this while looking for info.I found this to sound like pretty good info but maybe he gets a kickback.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hate it when no wind is blowing, I could not sit in a stand or blind with a fan running all the time.

7. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had deer downwind several times and not smell me. I also has some bust me. Not sure if the smell busted me or it saw some movement from me. The one's that didn't bust me might have been me doing a good job with scent control. I was just carrying to much stuff.

8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree. This year I started brushing my teeth with activated charcoal before every hunt and I do believe it's the most overlooked step in scent control. In years past I've used baking soda but the charcoal has it beat.

As for ozonics and scentlok. I wear scentlok bc I like the cut and durability of their stuff. I treat my outer layers with ozone and my base layers I treat with smoke. I also treat my towel I dry off with before a hunt with smoke and all this works well enough. I rarely get busted on scent but it does happen. Of course my dad always says I should spend less time doing laundry and more time looking for the perfect tree for the wind.

Sota and bowhtr1 like this.
  9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can spend your money on that stuff if you think it will help you go undetected, but I watched a hunting show where dude was using Ozonics and a big buck busted him at 20yrds anyway. I've killed at least one deer (mostly does) every year except one, for the last 17 years using nothing at all to mask my odor. I just try to hunt the right wind and hunt plenty high up, (no lower than 20ft) which allows your odor to stay above them for the most part. Hunting higher up also allows you to get away with a little more movement. I think movement gets people busted more than odor. jmo

10. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the morning with no wind your scent will go up. Especially after the temp starts to rise. In the afternoon you scent will drop with no wind as the temps cool back down. With this higher makes no difference for scent. Add a 3 mph wind in the afternoon and my scent will hit ground level maybe 10 yards farther away being at 25 feet instead of 20 ft high. Its also more diluted the farther away. That may still get me busted unless he comes in 10 yards closer where my scent goes over his head. Trees also will disburse scent higer and lower in the wind. Then again maybe he could see a slight movement by me or realize that blob in the tree doesn't belong. Or was it my scent trail from walking in. Lots of things to think about.

11. Forestman

Forestman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the replys so far.I do everything I can right now to be scent free and have killed some 130 class bucks but I should be killing more and bigger if I could keep them from smelling me.I hunt all state land and the deer get a lot of pressure.I just hate seeing a big old buck jerk his head up and turn and walk away.As much as the hunting shows advertise this stuff (not that I even have tv to watch them) I figured some guys on a bow site would of tried it and be able to tell me if they thought it worked or not.I`m not looking for anything that`s going to be 100%,I`m just looking to help my odds.

12. Thermal Hound

Thermal Hound Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Though ozone is a good way, its effect is still limited by wind. I think weather condition even seems more important than ozone.

13. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    use the wind it's free!

jstephens61 likes this.
  14. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wish I had all the money back that I’ve spent on Scent Blocker clothes and deer attractant scents.
    Bought into the scent control BS a few years ago. Then read the study that shows by the time you get it home, it’s overloaded and no good. Your home dryer is not hot enough to recharge it.
    Just be smart, hunt the wind, know your area and sit still. You’ll kill deer.
    Everyone is looking for a quick fix, easy way out.

BB1 and justinwmoe88 like this.
  15. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’d say your entrance or exit would be what’s affecting your hunt. Where’s your stand and how’s the property lay out. Are you down in a bowl or up on a hill in trees on a field edge there are to many variables in a hunt to think that it’s your scent getting you busted. Maybe you need to move your stand if the area isn’t huntable. There are two places near bedding areas on my property that I’d love to hang a stand but the wind just swirls right into they’re bed no matter what way it blows from so I just avoid that completely, some areas are just a no no. I’d guess the deer are seeing you, you’d be surprised how small of a movement they will pick out! Hope this helped. On my last property I was having a horrible time seeing deer and kept getting busted. I stopped walking across the field to my stand and walked an extra half mile around and down the backside of a shelter belt to avoid the sight line from the trees I hunt and moved my stand 50 yards. That made all the difference. Went from deer not being closer than 50 to 60 yards to seeing them at 20 nearly every sit. I think they were seeing me from a distance and running off then when they made they’re way back after so many hours they were on high alert and knew something was up. Anyways best of luck.