How many still do it old school?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Dec 21, 2019.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good day,

I am already thinking about next season and started looking at a farm I hunt again. I currently don't run any trail cameras but wonder if I am missing out. I had a few about 15+ years ago behind my Dads house that ended up getting smashed by someone. They were on his property as well. Anyway, I have always tried to get on nice bucks via old methods like locating in summer, finding the food, beds, big tracks/trails, rubs, etc. I currently own a hang on and sticks that I typically put up close to a bedding area and leave it there all season for super quiet access, and a climber that I bounce around with based on wind for my spots that I know are quiet until certain times of the day. I was thinking about getting another hang on and sticks next year for a second season long stand. The other options would be to get a few cameras and try to get on these bucks I have seen and know are there, but just can't seem to close in on them. The farm is owned by a customer of mine and is open to anything I want to do and is about 250 acres of posted property. I have always been borderline obsessed with the hunt(putting the puzzle together), but wonder if I am cutting myself short without running trail cameras. I appreciate all advice and wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  2. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate your methods of hunting. I always go both ways when it comes to cameras. I like to know whats in the area, but can easily become obsessed with big bucks that show up at night and only during the rut...which limits my mobility to a specific area and maybe not truly understanding if that deer is really there or is living a mile away. I hunt mainly public land now becuase I like the challenge of finding and moving where fresh sign is and there are 1000s acres to plat with. I do not used cameras as much anymore mainly because they get taken. I think they are a tool that cam be used effectively as well. So, if they help you hunt, I say go for it! If they fit the way you like to hunt, go for it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use them because I enjoy using them not much more to say about it.

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seen here that many hang their cameras high in a tree. Thief would need to carry a ladder to get them. Don't have cameras as they aren't in the budget.

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy putting cams out each season. Nice to see what's running around my area, but they can be deceiving. There's no agg in my area, mostly just woods, so the deer just browse aimlessly. Just have to hope something goes past. Regardless, I still like the anticipation of checking a cam that's been soaking for a week or two.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm limiting my use of them next year. However, I am using some old broken ones in lock boxes on my property line. Figure I'll hot glue some antenna looking dowel rods painted black for a better effect. Not that I have much of a trespassing problem but I also aim to keep it that way.

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a great idea. I have a few that have died over the years. No sense having them lying around going to waste.

Okiebob likes this.
  8. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I to love putting the puzzle together, and when I move in to kill a specific buck, I do it just about as old school as it gets.

With that said, I us trail cam's to find and zero in on the specific buck I want to kill....because really nice bucks few and far between.

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  9. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love my cams. but try keeping. only the ones close to stands running. That way they can be checked as I hunt
    The garden ones are checked.daily though that is an area deer expect activity. I basically hunt on sign not cams . Have you considered saddle hunting?

10. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been considering saddle hunting. This off season more than any other. It seems like a pretty big investment. I’d hate to buy it and not like it. I see a ton barely used for sale and it got me thinking a lot of hunters try it and don’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldnotdead and BowhuntOnly like this.
  11. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the same boat just a few months ago. I didnt think it was something inwould ever try...I normally hunt from the ground or tree climber. This last season i found i would have been more successful hunting elevated. Finding a tree to climb just was not essy in the areas i was hunting. So, this brought on the saddle...to reduce weight while hiking in on public land. I look at it as another tool. I have a lot to learn yet, but willing to give it a full out go for at least a year!
    I go into more detail here if interested on my decision. http://diybowhunting.com/why-saddle-hunting/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm DIY type person. I hit the saddle hunting.com site ,another great group of guys, and read a lot then finished this for well under a hundred. Heavier like the older saddles, but works great and is comfy. My only issueis the climb. I went alternate steps and 2 bad knees just don't cut it.
    IMG_20190719_074952_hdr.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020