Rigging a jet sled

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Michael George, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a Shappell Jet Sled to haul things through a marshy area on my property. Looking for some suggestions on how to rig a pull rope. There are two pre-drilled holes in the front; but the way my luck run I would destroy that the first time out. I watched a video on rigging a rope around the top of the sled and am looking for suggestions on what people have done with their sleds. Thanks in advance.

2. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would get a sled harness so your hands are free and it makes pulling it easier..

Attached Files:

3. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    I would wax the bottom of the sled as well

4. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a Jet Sled for a few years to haul deer/equipment in the woods, and it works well. I did not find the need to apply wax to the bottom, as it slides easily over the terrain I use it in; I wouldn't recommend it over mostly rocky terrain however. I was concerned about the durability of the "holes" the tow rope goes through, but is has been a non-issue. On one occasion I towed the sled full of firewood behind a 4 wheeler just using the tow rope and the sled held up fine.

I set mine up pretty close to the way it was done in the link I have posted, except I used an old piece of heavy garden hose I had lying around to use as the handle; threaded rope through about 18" section and it works just fine. Hope this helps

lps.

Michael George and justinwmoe88 like this.
  5. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already modifying my tree stand harness (which is designed to drag a deer); but more concerned about spreading the weight on the sled so that all the pressure isn't on the two front holes.

6. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Wish I had some advice I just use the holes on it they seem to hold up great

Michael George likes this.
  7. Devil Horns

Devil Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I installed eye bolts in the holes with large fender washers. Upgraded to a heavier rope and put the rope through a piece of 3/4” schedule 80 PVC for a handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael George likes this.