gets exposed to the wet and wild

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by Marvakins, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Marvakins

Marvakins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pre-Black Friday deals are really the north face shoes clearance heating up now,

and John Lewis is getting in on the holiday sale action with its bumper Black Friday Event, which starts today and

features discounts on The North Face clothing, accessories and footwear. Of course, there are many other brands on sale

too, across areas such as home, beauty, toys, tech and more. But we’re eyeing up The North Face waterproof jackets,

coats, hiking boots and backpacks on sale during the event. Not to mention all of the smaller accessories such as snug

beanies and warm fleece gloves to beat that winter chill rolling in.

Most of us remember when GORE-TEX first the north face shoes

mens
    appeared and revolutionized outdoor clothing and gear with waterproof products that could also “breathe”

so we wouldn’t get clammy on the inside as our outerwear repelled the elements. Since then, synthetic chemical-based

weatherproofing has become ubiquitous throughout the outdoor industry, not only in jackets, but also in boots and

shoes, backpacks, tents, swimsuits and just about everything else that gets exposed to the wet and wild.

And while we’ve all been happily the north face shoes

womens
    making our way through the rain and snow, we might not have realized that there is a dark underbelly to

all of this weatherproof outdoor gear: perfluorinated compounds (PFCs). These synthetic chemicals are related to the “

hydrophobic” PFOA formulations that make non-stick cookware easy to clean by encouraging liquids to bead up and roll

away. And like their chemical cousins on cookware, the PFCs in your jacket could be making you sick and polluting the

environment.

“PFCs are environmentally hazardous north face hiking shoes mens substances, which are persistent in the environment,” reports Greenpeace,

which launched its Detox Outdoor campaign in 2012 to convince outdoor gear makers to stop using toxic chemicals in

their products. “Studies show that some PFCs can accumulate in living organisms such as the livers of polar bears in

the Arctic and are also detected in human blood.” Meanwhile, animal studies indicate that certain PFCs can harm

reproductive processes, negatively impact hormonal balances and promote the growth of tumors.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cool thanks, I love it when $50 shoes being sold for$250 are on sale for$100

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So...don't eat polar bear liver?

jonderrs7 likes this.
  4. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [QUOTE
    the PFCs in your jacket could be making you sick and polluting the

environment.
    ][/QUOTE]
    I always like the word "could" in various and sundry statements. Like the insurance commercials- you COULD save hundreds of dollars. I also chuckle at the want ads- "You COULD make up to $XX.XX per hour or you COULD make $XX,XXX a year." Just don't count on it. That word makes me think the whole thing still has to be proven by concrete scientific research for proof.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love my North Face puffer jacket keeps me warm on the coldest day.

7. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe if the polar bears quit eating people with PFC laced jackets they wouldn't have liver issues!

Edit: Sorry for thread necro, I didnt realize until after I posted.