Team 14 - Cross Country Killers

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by slickbilly-d, Aug 26, 2019.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't realize there were states that closed bowhunting during firearms. Around here you can bowhunt during any season, although with some of the idiots around here I wouldn't recommend hunting public land during gun season unless you were curious about what a gunshot wound feels like.

2. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody else get those nights where you just don't sleep good. Like roll over and beak for 50 minutes then maybe get a 10 minute nap if you’re lucky then repeat...

At this point it’s 3 am and I’m trying to leave house no later than 5... do I go back to sleep and try for another hour and risk not gettin up or go ahead and get going early and feel tard as **** tonight.

3. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Closes for full 3 weeks. Absolutely prohibited to use bow doing gun season here, with the slugs flying around I have no desire to be up in a tree. Will be out next weekend with the gun.

4. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Well last night was the second time this season that my hunt has been interrupted by a stray cow. Had a nice 20 yd broadside shot on her, but decided to pass on the shot since that would've been a whole lot of critter to field dress and clean by myself on a Sunday night with work the next day. If she comes by during a morning hunt though i'm gonna put her in the freezer.

5. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still around guys, Congrats to those who scored with deer. We just finished with Gun and Muzzleloader here in Wisconsin, well we have a doe only season through the weekend now. I will be getting out agian with the bow, but probably only a few more times. It was single digits here today and schedule gets really busy during the holidays. I did take a doe with the rifle, but never saw any bucks that got me excited enough to want to take. I have high hopes I can locate a decent buck in the next couple of weeks and get on him. Good luck everyone

6. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Merry Christmas everyone!!!!! How many are still after one? I'm saving my last doe tag for some heavy snow and brutal cold. Want the grandson to nail one in some cold, snowy weather. Got his deer head back today. This will make him one happy hunter. Gonna trim those pictures down and glue them on and also have a plaque for it as well. 20191224_170454.jpg 20191224_170300.jpg 20191224_170220.jpg

slickbilly-d and entropyfx like this.
  7. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good!!!
    I’m still after it.
    I didn’t hunt the first 2 weekends of December because I had the flu. I am actually pretty pissed about the timing of it because November was so warm around here our rut didn’t get really going until those 2 weekends in December while I was sick. Found that out when I checked my trail cams last weekend. On both of the weekends I didn’t hunt there were dozens of daytime photos of nice bucks, nose to the ground, passing by the stands I would’ve been sitting in if I hadn’t been sick. They were going at it hard right up until the middle of the week before last, then the photos just stopped and since then I haven’t gotten a single daylight photo of a buck that wasn’t a spike or a little 4-6 pointer. I haven’t even really gotten many nighttime photos since then either.

I did try hunting a couple times last weekend but still had a leftover nagging cough from being sick and couldn’t keep from coughing every 5 minutes so all I really accomplished was running off every spike, fawn, doe, and squirrel within half a mile.

I did have some success yesterday morning and evening but I was using my rifle instead of my bow because I had 5 unfilled tags and an empty freezer to fill by January 1. In the morning hunt I Polished off a doe and one annoying ass crow that wouldn’t shut up (If anybody has ever wondered what would happen if a 180gr ballistic tip bullet hit a crow at around 3,000 fps; it pretty much vaporizes everything except for the wings, feet, and feathers) and then took 2 more does in the in the evening. My freezer is looking a lot better so I am free to switch back to my bow when I hunt this coming weekend. My last 2 tags are either sex so hopefully I’ll get lucky and see a nice buck but if not then I am planning on at least getting us another doe (or even a spike if it comes down to it).

Shawn Clark likes this.
  8. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Happy New Year everyone!!!!! Hope you all have a great new year and great hunting success this late season and the upcoming season(s). Anyone still trying? Good luck if you still are hitting the woods.

9. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Got my last die tag filled this past Friday. If anyone is still trying, good luck to you!!!!!

10. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Got a buck this afternoon during urban archery season. 5 days too late for the contest.

11. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Would be nice to still see the pictures