Team 14 - Cross Country Killers

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by slickbilly-d, Aug 26, 2019.

1. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice deer!

2. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job on the buck. Looking forward to better pics and the story!

3. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work on that buck! I am heading out right now to see if I can add to it.

4. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Quick photos, 46 yard shot slightly quarter to. That Swhacker at him up. Heading to the woods soon for Doe or second buck. Will type up the story later, boy I am tired)))

IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg

Dave

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  5. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is that a Traverse you got there?

6. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
  7. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    That's a pretty cool rack he's got on him... Not sure if tall is the technical word for it but its definitely not the standard looking rack I usually run across in my woods.

8. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Not hunting this morning, body needs a break. Let me suck down some coffee and get my head screwed on straight and I will type up the story about this buck.

Dave

slickbilly-d and Shawn Clark like this.
  9. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    So here is the long and the short story about this deer. I have pictures of this deer from last year, basically same rack design, he may have grown another 10 inches at most this year. Him and a six point are basically the same, thin rack that grows up instead of out. I've told you guys about the young hunter I am trying to help, I had shown him pictures of these two bucks and told him to take them out if he see them.

He had two encounters with the eight I shot and one encounter with the six, each time he failed to make the shot or got busted. So I decided that if I saw either of these deer they needed to go, this is not the kind of deer we want down there on the property. I decided that morning driving to hunt that if I got a shot at either of those deer I was going to take it.

At 705 A.M I look to my right and see a doe running down the hillside into the swamp area, quickly following was this buck. I only caught a quick look at the rack and knew it was either the eight or the six. The doe ran about 70 yards in front of me from right to left and the buck followed. I quickly gave a soft grunt and she turned and ran down past my left side and slightly behind me at about fifty yards. The bucked rushed in and ran past her then turned back towards her, she then ran back up the same trail she came down and stopped.

Right then I knew he would do the same, I quickly ranged an opening between a double V crossed tree at 46 yards. I connected my release and as soon is I did he started walking towards her again I drew the bow, when his head hit the first tree in the V I gave him a loud MAAAAAAAA!!! He stopped perfect, head behind second part of Double V tree, I settled the pin on him a little low "bottom third of body". I released the arrow and he tried to duck it and I knew he would at that distance. I hit him perfect left to right and just an inch or so of the middle of the body from top of the back to bottom of the stomach. He was quartering too me, arrow took out both lungs and exited back on the other side, the Swhacker ate him up. The entry and exit wound were impressive to say the least. He ran about seventy yards and piled up, a blind man could have followed the massive blood trail.

I have a second buck tag and will back at it after one of my target bucks !!!

Almost forgot, as soon as the butcher calls me to pick up the meat I will get the rack and score it.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  10. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys think about this trail cam pic, real or fake. I think it's fake, but you never know I guess. 20191126_234020.jpg

11. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I am going with fake... If it were real he would've gotten that unhooked pretty quick once the rest of the body wasn't attached. Also, what trail camera has resolution that low in 2017. Who ever made it probably reduced the resolution so the photoshop wasn't as obvious.

12. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Fake, I do not see that deer ripping the other deer head off. If they were locked up that tight, both would have died from starvation.

Dave

13. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Doe fight!
    upload_2019-11-30_13-16-1.jpeg

slickbilly-d likes this.
  14. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
  15. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody still getting after it? I had a state park draw hunt Monday and Tuesday. I was close to the action. 5 does were killed Monday and I swear, one of them couldn’t have been 50 yards from me. I thought I’d got shot lol. May go out Saturday morning after another doe.

16. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I've got my one doe tag I'll be using late in the season. I want it snowy and below zero or close to it. I love those hunts.

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  17. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    It’s been windy and raining every day the last 5 weekends so I’ve only been able to get out for a couple hours here and there when there was a break in the weather. Finally looks like im going to get a little better this weekend. Saturday is at least going to be dry, although the wind is gonna be pretty strong and blowing the wrong direction for most of my stands, but I may get lucky. Sunday looks slightly better, calmer wind but still in the wrong direction. Possibly some showers in the evening, but I can deal with light rain and it sure beats the .25 inch/hr rain and 25mph wind combo we’ve had the last 5 weekends.

At the very least I ought to be able to poke a hole in a doe or a Fergie and get us another 50.

18. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Shotgun season, I usually give the orange army a week to wear themselves out. I will be back at Saturday if the stars align and I can make it out.

Dave

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  19. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Me too... Hunting in the snow is by far my favorite way to hunt. Unfortunately our whitetail season ends January 1 and December snow isn't that common in this area so I usually only get the chance every 2-3 years. I always save at least one tag until the last week or so of the season just incase we do get snow. A couple of my buddies do the same, we call it the snow drive tag. If it does snow we all get to use it to hunt in the snow and if the last week rolls around and they're not calling for any snow then we load up the buckshot and spend the last weekend going to each of our hunting properties and doing deer drives until we all close out our tags. Either way its a whole lot of fun and a great way to close out the season.

So far this season is looking like its going to be a drive year, but maybe we'll get lucky and get a snow.

20. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Our bow closes today until late december. Might get out this weekend with the 45-70.