Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This... This is what it truly is.. I eat carbs, fats, and protein. I also do a form of intermittent fasting every day. cutting carbs way down is not good, especially if you lift weights. but in all reality, it's calories in vs calories out... a deficit will bring weight loss. tweaking it, will result in body fat loss. of course with a good weight lifting program.

cantexian, Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more! One of the reasons these low carb diets became popular was because they advertised in the beginning, you could eat as much as you wanted as long as you kept your carbs low. Of course, over the long run it wasn't true. One of the big things with losing AND maintaining is YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT LESS! Alot of the low carb diets never taught that and in the end, although you may have lost initially, you would revert back to old eating habits and gain back everything you lost. Once you get the appetite under control you can get by with alot less than you think. At the end of the day you must choose a program you can sustain for the rest of your life. I don't deny myself anything, I just eat alot less than I used to and exercise more than I ever have. Really, once you get in that mindset, you pretty much got it licked!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Westfinger likes this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Back to the workout grind. Didnt gain a single lb during the past 6 weeks of hard hunting. Worked out good up until 3 weeks ago then have been in full hunt mode. Still did some maintenance workouts and ran but nothing serious. Id like to drop 5 more lbs by Dec 31....making it 15 lbs of flab dropped this year.

cantexian, Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Started picking it back up this past week. Added a couple squat workouts into the mix. Hadnt squatted since hunting season began in early Oct. My aging connective tissues are aching! Haha

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did this yesterday to kick off my first full week of workouts since taking the family to Disney World the last week of October. Took my 29 minutes. Today I ran three miles in 23 minutes then did 30 pull ups, 30 push ups and some ab work.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Crap I have to get on the rowing machine, diet and exersize, biggest struggle is working out without a goal. I used to get on the elliptical January 1 and work my ass off to get ready for fire season and the pack test I had to take each year. Now I have to find motivation with no apparent goal.

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have I told you about Elk bowhunting... Remarkably similar, but a worthwhile goal, if your hips can hold out.

Westfinger likes this.
  8. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been steadily getting back into the swing of things. Still don't really have program follow. Been goin in and doin a heavy lift and then doin accessory bro stuff after. So far been doin Monday is heavy squat day, Wednesday heavy pressing, and Friday in deadlift day. Then after squats usually do leg and lower back stuff, press is kinda shoulder and chest, and dead do bi and tri stuff. Bout the only thing I've started thats program type is a deadlift one. Think its called the Mag/Orb program. Benni Magnusson and Sebastian Orb, I believe, kinda came up with it. Really it's a contest prep but I'm just using it to increase max. Friday will be third week of it and so far been doin good. Nothing special, it just goes off percentages and you increase every week. Whole workout is like 28-30 reps of at least 70% of max. But after 2nd week start adding weight. Like this week will be plus 10 pounds of 70, 80, and 90%. But just kinda doin it to have some kind of goal, and if get all the way through it will have to set new one. For me that's what keeps me goin to gym.

But good luck guys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    good workout there. good split and rep range

Westfinger likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not a chance

wl704 and Westfinger like this.
  11. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bumper sticker- Eat right, Stay fit, Die anyway! The carbie diet isn't really an "all you can eat" as it still limits what you can eat as the minimum is 30 grams per day and a maximum of 60 grams of carbies. Exercising is out with a bum knee and shoulder.
    Story- A friend went to the doctor for his annual checkup. The doctor poked him in the tummy and remarked he needed to lose a little weight. My friend started to laugh. Doctor, "What is so funny?" Friend, "Doc, I'm a minister and I've buried more skinny people than fat people!"

12. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Death is inescapable.. fat or skinny. But Id rather feel good and be at my best as long as I can. I have been to the extremes on both ends and being fat is way worse. out of breath, pants too tight, stomach always torn up from bad foods, sluggish, and down right unattractive. I have been as heavy as 192 lbs at 5'6. awful feeling. at 147 lbs now and a 30" waist, I feel so much better.

dnoodles, cantexian and Westfinger like this.
  13. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll still stick to my carbie (Air Force) diet just to maintain my present weight. I was at the doctor two weeks ago and he had other concerns, not even mentioning weight. I have other issues that aren't even related to dietary habits. At my age, if I lose a lot of weight, my belly button will be down around my knees.:biggrin:

Good hunting. I'm going later this week.

Vabowman likes this.
  14. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Death is inevitable, living a full life not so much. Simple fact Obesity is one of the leading preventable causes of death and disability end of story.
    I live my life the way I do for me. I love lifting, running, and eating right. It makes me strong and powerful and I feel incredible.
    We all have choices to make.

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  15. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well said! And I might add, being fit gives you more life while you are alive!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    You guys ever had something like this? Got a sinus infection months ago. Went away on its own but my sinuses have been swollen since then and the more I think about it, my energy levels havent been great. Trouble breathing through the left side of my nose. Well today I got to work 2 hrs early to workout and the left side of my nose just starts pouring blood. A blood clot comes out and it bled for like 15 minutes. Now it is almost done bleeding completely and I feel the left side of my nose opening up like I can actually breathe out of it. You yhink that infection stayed up there for months? Damn I bled like a stuck pig.

17. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    It's been working pretty good so far. I really didn't come up with much of it. I follow stongman stuff here and there and watch some of them guys on YouTube and its kinda similar to what one them guys do. Limited somewhat on what gym has but I've found some decent substitutes. Not that that's a goal or I'll never be throwing those weights around but feel more productive when go to gym if kinda have something to follow. Otherwise feel like I'm just kinda doin whatever and it's all over the place ha.

18. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Never had the nose bleed part, least not like you're describing, but I've had stuffed up nose like that for while. Then after it somewhat went away there was kind of a scab and still felt plugged up. Eventually it just kinda went away, but it definitely sucks. Sinus infections are the worst.

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

20. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could be chronic sinusitis. Really tough to say based on limited history and no physical exam. Probably worth going to your MD or seeing an ENT. Sounds like whatever it is it’s been impacting your quality of life and nobody has time for that. Good Luck I hope you get some relief.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.