Team 12 - Drop Tine Dozen

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by vermontwhitetail, Aug 26, 2019.

1. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! Super happy with how it played out! This was my 4th sit in this spot and so far ive seen at least 5 deer every sit. I had clear trails in front of me and to my left but they kept skirting behind me. During my sit on friday i had a doe in the exact same spot as the doe i shot but i couldnt turn around enough. As soon as she cleared out i climbed onto my first stick and spun my stand to the opposite side of the tree. Paid off as i shot my doe right in front of me the next day! I usually hang and hunt but ive just been pulling my bottom two sticks as this spot keeps producing deer and ive yet to be busted. Amidst the buck fever and with my bow on the ground i tried to take a pic of the big buck right behind me but couldnt focus my camera lol. Im gonna sit there tuesday AM or Wednesday dependent upon wind and weather conditions [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

2. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe petros! Definitely a bummer on the buck, that would have needed your night with a bang.

I made it out last night not expecting much, it was more or less to clear my mind of matters at home. I did end up seeing 10 deer and thought I was gonna my to get a shot at a big doe but sue skirted me. I will be out a little here and there mostly on the weekends until I fill my last doe tag.

Good luck to everyone that is still out grinding away!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

early in, Kfili, Turro and 1 other person like this.
  3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m hoping to get out and check cams Friday and maybe sit. Been busy with a bunch of stuff then got sick as a bonus. Should be good to as long as nothing comes up. Been getting the itch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

early in and vermontwhitetail like this.
  4. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Currently in 3rd!

Will take a heck of a December but ya never know a couple of you have been on bucks all season long! A few bucks and a couple more doe ya never know.

CURRENT TOP 5 TEAMS:
    Team 13 - 1,083 7/8
    Team 8 - 877 7/8
    Team 12 - 835 2/8
    Team 16 - 802
    Team 27 - 738 1/8

early in, Turro and vermontwhitetail like this.
  5. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome to see! Ill be in stand tomorrow amd Thursday morning. I should be good for buck but we'll see

6. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be in NJ this weekend. VT Muzzy/2nd Archery December 7-15. NJ again the 29th to 1st. I may then go back for one more long weekend before the January 31 deadline. So we will see.

early in and Turro like this.
  7. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    You two and early have had some great hunts! Plenty of time for it to come together - stay after emm! Remember by July'ish you will look back on the previous season and go yesh why did I ever get tired of the early mornings and long nights. lol

8. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still plugging along guys. 60+ mph winds here today and tomorrow. I'll get out again after the weekend.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

maxpetros and Turro like this.
  9. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Stay after the bucks, you and I have to the very end of the contest, January 31, to put down a buck in NJ. Good luck Max!

sycamoretwitch, maxpetros and Turro like this.
  10. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely ill be hunting even harder after the semester ends. Ive been in stand just over an hour now. 5 deer so far, two bucks and one was definitely a shooter. I was able to count at least 7 points but he was moving through the brush pretty quick. He stopped at 36 yards and i grunted a few times. His ears perked up and he turned in my direction but i think the bell from the bird dog in the fields way behind me spooked him and he slowly walked away. Fingers crossed hell be back. Ive got till 10 to sit. Happy Thanksgiving guys

11. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Turro, sycamoretwitch and early in like this.
  12. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Well unfortunately those 5 deer were it. Im trying to adjust and get closer but i feel like im as close to their bedding area as i can get without spooking them when i set up. The thick brush like 40 yards in front of me just past the creek is the start of where theyre bedding and i keep seeing bucks cruising right past the creek. Think its worth trying to push up or just stay put, be patient and not ruin a great spot? Also i know its public land and everyone has a right to use it but i feel like its common courtesy to not be stepping on peoples toes. Im set up 150 yards in from the last field over a mile back in this creek bottom. I saw this bird hunter working his way in and flagged him down to let him know i was on stand there. He waved back and them continued to lead his dogs directly under me, only to turn around 75 yards later amd heading back. Super frustrating and seemed frivolous on his part.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

vermontwhitetail and Turro like this.
  13. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Too bad he didn’t get in range. I think if you think you can sneak up a little closer and set up so it’s within range give it a shot. Might be better jumping up closer and getting the shot next sit than If have to sit back and possibly be out of range and have to sit a bunch more hoping for the shot. Guess it depends on how covertly you can set up.
    I think it was a d bag move on the bird hunters part. Had that happen too and I’m always over courteous about not pulling that. Maybe legally he can do it and all, in my thoughts though there’s no decent reason to do that to you

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  14. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    No experience what-so-ever on public land... But I feel like you gotta always be moving on them as the season goes on. Staying put works sometime - but if you see a move I usually try and force mysef to make it!

early in and vermontwhitetail like this.
  15. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    I'd move in on him, ever so gently.

early in likes this.
  16. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i think thats what im gonna try and do. I feel pretty confident in hanging my stand really quietly, theres just not a ton of great trees once you cross that creek. Its very thick underbrush so i considered trying to set up on the ground but thats definitely a gamble on a mature buck. Looks like i might have the right wind for it tomorrow so we'll see!

vermontwhitetail, early in and Turro like this.
  17. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly. Im an avid bird and small game hunter too and im always super courteous of deer hunters. Even if someomes not on stand i dont like romping around near someones set if i can help it

vermontwhitetail, early in and Turro like this.
  18. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on him Max. Hopefully a little jump closer puts you in range. Looking forward to seeing the results. I agree about not going near either. Have people I know that are the other way about it and it’s one of many disagreements we have on acting that way just because can

And forgot but Happy thanksgiving to everyone. Hope it was a day all around. I got my cough back and feel like crap but laid back day with family, good enough

vermontwhitetail and early in like this.
  19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, that guy was a real jackwagon, especially when you waved to him to let him know you were there. If he were a decent hunter, he would have waved back and gone back the way he came. Folks these days just don't give a damn about the other guy.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  20. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    In NJ and very excited about a 100 acre farm I've been given permission to hunt and I'll be the only one on it. Good mix of hardwoods. Bedding, Ag fields and a creek. Going to pull a stand from the park and set it up on the farm this morning. I'll hunt the park this afternoon on the ground, like I did last time I was here. I'll be at the new farm in the morning tomorrow. Very excited about the new piece cause you can Sunday hunt private land, Bear hunt on private land, hopefully no one will be on there to steal my stuff and I'll be able to leave it. I'll be the only one hunting it and next season should be able to actually pattern Bucks due to the lack of pressure. Super stoked. Figuring out a new place is also super fun.

sycamoretwitch, MIHOYT89 and Turro like this.