onXmaps????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by John T., Nov 26, 2019.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at The Hunting Public website and noticed a discount for the app. Is it worth it? I need all the help I can get.

2. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's 100% worth the money! I think you can find better discounts, like on other youtube channels, but definitely worth the money.

3. K.Taylor

K.Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely !! they have a promo going in with the code " thanks30" for 30% a premium or elite membership!
    www.onxmaps.com

I am using it for my hunt in Arizona and it is HIGHLY WORTH IT !! Best app for internet scouting and information gathering ![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

jonderrs7 likes this.
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With as close as we are to black Friday/cyber Monday might be worth it to hold out a few days to see if a better deal comes out. Those discounts are pretty much year round.

cantexian likes this.
  5. K.Taylor

K.Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is their Black Friday discount.

thanks30 is the code for it. I am part of their team

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Steven Dearden likes this.
  6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I pay full price and still think it's worth it.

7. Garrett Godlewski

Garrett Godlewski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently use huntstand... opinions on which is better/ advantages and disadvantages of either??

Steven Dearden and K.Taylor like this.
  8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love onX. I use it for work and farming as well so it's definitely worth the money to me.

9. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    K.Taylor, thanks. Used to live in KY- Louisville and Washington County. And yes, the grass is blue!

10. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's worth it. I use both the web site for scouting and then the APP on my cell phone when in the field. It would be hard to give it up after using!

Mr.O likes this.
  11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you have gps topo maps that have boundary markings, why is On X any better? Better visual or what?

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  12. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  13. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a GIS person and I used to do all of my own maps for areas that I hunted. I purchased OnX when I heard what they were doing to promote access to landlocked public lands (http://www.trcp.org/unlocking-public-lands/)

It has surpassed my expectations. I often see complaints that some data is not up to date or is not present in very rural areas but that is understandable. Some areas are still recording things on paper and do not have GIS data to consume and many counties don't update their landownership data immediately, how could a 3rd party be more accurate than the data owners? I think it is a fantastic tool for public land hunting.

Shocker99 likes this.
  14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Worth every penny. You can either get the single state or unlimited.

I know camofire usually runs a deal on it every week or two... I haven't seen it for about a week, so it may be upcoming in the rotation. I think their unlimited runs about 59.99.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had the full subscription for several years. It's a good program, works well on my phone and ipad..

Now with that said there are few other programs offering similar service and layers at significantly less money. Onx better find a way to add value or it's going to start loosing market share.

16. Freddybowhunter

Freddybowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It’s honestly changed the way I hunt. OnX has given me so much more confidence on public land to push back in far and up and against secluded private sanctuaries. My 2 MD bucks this year I wouldn’t have killed if I didn’t find a little honey hole using OnX

Mr.O likes this.
  17. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I still don't get it, hence my earlier post. I hunt public land exclusively, and just use cal topo on my phone. I hug the property line as well.

Can it get contour lines at 3' intervals or something? That is the only thing I can think of to make it worth it. I notice I have missed many land features from traditional USGS contour intervals.

18. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Camofire has the best deal I've seen on it. They usually run it for $59.95 every so often. You just have to watch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mflora98ss likes this.
  19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used cal topo, but does it show property boundaries? That's the biggest thing I use OnX for - finding public lands and knowing where the boundaries are without needing to cross-reference different map services or the horrible PDF's that most DNR websites provide. It's also handy for tracking where you walked, which I use during spring scouting, shed hunting and tracking wounded deer. I also use that to keep track of my way in and out of stands on public where I don't want to use bright eyes or tie ribbons. Dropping points on a map for stand and camera locations, and having the ability to share those with other people, is also handy.

20. mflora98ss

mflora98ss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use OnX both for recreation/hunting, and for work as a Professional Land Surveyor. It works very well for me and I have been a premium member for 4 or so years now with no complaints other than the cost is quite high. I will renew every year when I find it on sale so I have never had to pay full price. The thing that is very well done with OnX is how seamless everything functions going through your user profile, and being able to share everything with other people like @Justin mentioned. The boundary line information seems to be about the same between all the platforms which is one function that I use the most. They all receive their data from the same source so technically there shouldn't be any differences between them.

Like @trial153 mentioned, there are other programs out there like Basemap, and Huntstand that offer almost as much content for a much more affordable cost so it will be interesting in the next few years what competition does in this field.

Swamp Stalker likes this.