What makes a good Hunting Boot?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Buckwounder, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Buckwounder

Buckwounder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I first got into hunting I was told to buy a pair of Mucks and that's all you'll ever need. That was not all I would ever need.

I've been hunting two different properties in two different states this season and I'm finding myself in vastly different weather conditions so I'm now needing yet another boot. Snow, water and weather in the teens.

Over the first 3 years, the Mucks didn't keep my feet warm past 30 degrees and they were loud in the woods. I tried many different types of socks too.
    So I purchased a pair of Irish Setter 1200 grain boots but good luck trying to sneak up on a feeding buck in those they make a loud pop noise on the calf and are not comfortable if you have to hike in more than 600 yards. Your feet will not breathe in rubber boots. After 2 other pairs of duck boots, I was still not satisfied with my options for the type of moble hunting I like to do.

I need a boot that is strong ankled, breathable, waterproof and warm.

I had tried a pair of hiking boots by Salomon for the early season and they were fantastic but not good past 50 degrees. I liked how mobile and light they were.

I'm looking into hunting boots that are insulated, not heavy, and I'm staying away from the over the calf boot.

I'm thinking of a winter hiking boot, but will it keep my feet warm once I'm in a tree for 5 hours?

Anyone tried Merrell, Keen, Vasque or an insulated Salomon.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe stick with your Salomon boots and get a pair of insulated boot covers. Then add hot hands as needed? Put the covers on when you get into stand?

I use my muck boots for the whole season. I hunted a few hunts last year that were pushing close to 0 Degrees. Although I could feel them getting cold, it was manageable. They also make a Artic version of the muck boot, but I would assume they are bigger and bulky.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

outdoorjoe and Buckwounder like this.
  3. Buckwounder

Buckwounder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice.

What I'm learning is that there is no one for all when talking about the feet. I know my feet sweat more than others and it's the sweat that keeps them cold on a long sit after a hike in.

4. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 5 pair of hunting boots. There not a “do all” boot that I’ve found.
    Got an old pair of Pronghorns that are no longer waterproof, but they fit great.
    A pair of Irish Setter Elk Hunter, uninsulated, for early elk season.
    Kenetreks insulated for late elk season.
    Columbia pack boots for late deer season.
    LaCrosse Pro Burlys for wet deer hunting.
    Throw in a set of boot blankets and I’m covered.
    If I could only have one pair, it would be the Kenetreks and boot blankets.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wear one pair of boots all season, have a lightweight pair if I ever get out early season afternoon, but that is rare.

1600 gram thinsulate Lacrosse Aplha Burlies. When it gets cold I put some toe warmers on my base sock and cover with wool sock. Recently bought wicking socks for the base so will be using those now.

In really cold weather, i just double the toe warmers by putting an additional one over the toes then the wool socks

I have never found a boot that by itself retained my body heat to keep my toes warm. -35 degree advertised or not, stopped wasting my money on something that did not exist.

Be it blankets or warmers, you'll have to spend additional money to have the warmth you desire.

Buckwounder likes this.
  6. nocked-n-loaded

nocked-n-loaded Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of Under Armour boots that are insulated but have recently had trouble with toes getting cold. I have found that toe/foot warmers work great. I would like to look into Muck boots though. Everyone I know who has a pair say they are very comfortable.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First I hear everything your saying, especially the noise. My Irishsetter 1200 sound like echo chamber with every pebble I step on. Another thing is guys put their boots on dryers and sometimes forget to pull the foot pad . They dont always thoroughly dry.
    Now heres my fix. Boot rubber. I slip rubber boot covers over my boots. Instant silencing. And it helps to keep your feet warmer. Wet and snow stays out of those seams , it all slides off easier. Helps to keep feet warmer.plus want to change boots for what ever reason. Just slip rubbers off and switch to other boot. So good early to late season.

8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pack in a second pair of socks, switch them up before climbing up or once in blind. Sweat is the problem my toe warmers cause me sometimes,

9. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Arctics are warm but the are very stiff and make climbing tree steps difficult.

Having multiple sets of boots for all type of conditions are the way to go. Also cold weather boots work better when they are dried out after each hunt. If your insoles are wet from sweat they are going to make your feet cold the next time quicker.

Sota likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to have just one pair of boots that will serve you well from season opener till season close especially if you hunt in an area that has a cold winter.

Tags: