HSS Heated Muff-Pak Review

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ironically enough, I just ordered one of these that should be arriving today. At this point I will do anything to keep may hands warm while on the stand. It has gotten so bad that when My hands get really cold, not only do they hurt, they are almost unusable! I am really hoping this item will be the answer. I plan on testing it out as soon as it arrives today and if it doesn't meet my expectations, it's going right back to Amazon. My hope is that it does workout. Thanks for the review.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  3. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope it works for you. I always laugh when hunters scoff at items like this and buddy heaters. You know those "manly men" types (the same ones who are too manly to use sunscreen because their skin is too strong for the SUN). I say do whatever you need/want to do to stay comfortable and enjoy more time in the outdoors.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just received mine yesterday and I'm testing it today. So far, here are my positives and negatives.

Positives:
    So far on a 10,000 mAh battery I'm up to seven hours of heat. HSS recommends an 8000-10000 mAh battery.

This thing is big so you can put alot of things inside of it.

There are alot of storage compartments on the outside to carry things like your phone, rangefinder, and etc. There's so much storage you might be able to do without a fanny pack.

Negatives:

It does not heat the entire circumference of the muff. The heat does radiate throughout somewhat but it would be better if the heat coils were evenly distributed.

It does not get as hot as I had hoped. I was hoping the temp would be almost enough to burn my fingers but we're no where near that.

Conclusion:

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. All the storage and everything is great but I bought this to keep my hands warm. I could put my rechargeable hand warmers inside of it, there's certainly enough room, and I believe the two things together will be adequate. I will make my decision when I have a chance to test it in colder temps. I hope this review helps someone who is trying to decide about purchasing this item.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using mine all fall and I love it. No, it doesn't get scalding hot inside but it's more than adequate to keep my hands warm during a typical 2-4 hour hunt. I also wish the heating elements were a bit larger and spaced out closer to the ends of the muff rather than the middle, but those are small improvements I'm hoping to see in the future. When it gets really cold or windy I'll still throw a pair of disposable warmers in my muff which work amazingly well with the battery heat. With a 10,000 mAh unit I can typically get 4-6 hours in cold temps.

I have been using the non-heated version of this muff for many years and have yet to find one I like better. I typically keep my release, extra camera batteries, milkweed/wind checker, grunt call and others misc items in the pockets or inside the muff itself. There's times when I use it more for the storage than keeping my hands warm.

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Better off with a nice muff then use hand warmers inside it. Get way warmer and you don't have to worry about recharging when doing back to back hunts often.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love this thing. It keeps your hands warm all the time you are in the stand. I plug it into my battery pack for my cellphone.. I agree with Justin, it should have a larger heating area, but overall it works really well.