Team 2 - The Double Deuces

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by alenhard15, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Had another shooting moving well before dark at my lease last night - right in front of my stand. I swear, cellular trail cameras are gonna be the death of me! :lol:

IMG_0189.JPG

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Justin. I had my target buck for the last four years under my stand on a Sunday afternoon two weeks ago. First daylight picture I’ve ever had of him in four years. Unfortunately, like Pennsylvania, we can’t hunt on Sundays. It really sucks.
    Ohio was a bust when I was there. Weather was not good and did not see any shooters. Saw plenty of does and a few small bucks. I passed and at least six large mature does in hopes that it a shooter would come out behind them. No such luck. A couple guys in camp had encounters with shooters and both missed. I had to come home early because the guy that was with me had a work obligation. My other buddies are finishing up their final sit in the next couple of hours. Hopefully they have better luck than I did.
    I just checked my cameras back home and had a couple bucks cruise through one night. Otherwise it’s been very dead. This has got to be the most frustrating season I have ever had. Hopefully, it will change

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, I need some help, I wanna get the BE:1 in the O2 camo but i cant decide if i should do the voyage jacket or the fortress, I wanna get the fortress bibs but how warm is the voyage jacket??

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It really just depends on what conditions you plan on hunting in. I've hunted down into the 20's in the Voyage suit with a few layers and have been fine. If you want something that's going to cover you for teens and below, or cold and really windy, the Fortress is the way to go.

I own both and I will say that I'll probably use the Voyage 10x more each season than I will the Fortress. It just covers a wider range of temps and conditions. But if you need that super warm, insulated, windproof suit for bad weather or late season, go with the Fortress. Just don't plan on walking much in it unless you want to sweat to death.

5. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man! I figured the voyage would be the better option, I’ve got a really late season jacket that I can wear later on

6. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to remember to post my updates here, not just LFTS; terrible team mate
    Well, if no one saw, I stalked into 12-pack and arrowed him super high. General consensus is that it was non-fatal and he should be fine. I have a VA appointment this afternoon so no evening hunt, I'll be out probably all day tomorrow for redemption. I set some cameras up in hopes I see him around still.
    I'm kind of kicking myself since I've made excuses to let deer pass all season and I'm still empty handed...so this weekend end the first brown doe that walks by me is getting stuck...unless 12-pack is with her.
    I'm not sure if I should should hunt the top field where I saw and arrowed him or the lower field. I feel like he would avoid the top spot for a little while. I'll probably hunt the lower field/woods edge and try and catch them on their feeding paths.

7. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well the cluster of season just keeps getting better
    Went to public spot and almost got stuck cause of how soggy ground is truck slid sideways and almost had to get pulled out
    So decided go to other area I scouted out last week another car her when I arrive figure no big deal
    Walk back the road towards field was gonna hunt and he’s set up on the edge of path that leads to field
    Didn’t wanna be a **** and ruin his hunt so turn around and head towards another area
    Find a tree looks good and alive get climbing up and further I go notice woodpecker holes
    So climb down and head toward the truck and come across heavy used game trail and leads to a opening and thick **** all around and deer **** everywhere see what happens
    Not expecting much
    Been a rough season so far

Sent using Smoke Signals

8. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a doe and skip this am in ny for gun opener. That’s it.

9. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Big 12 is still alive, no daylight pics over the week, but he lives. I had a crap morning today and was ready to put all my crap away for the year, I’m going to get out in the morning and get motivated again.
    21663197-0274-4E7C-AF73-445167AF38B7.jpeg

10. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Finally made something happen, trophy pics to come!
    36517275-C721-4F91-89E9-C376B05F32DB.jpeg A30B6CA0-B1DF-4A26-AB1E-2218430938BA.jpeg

11. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Points are posted! E4DEABCE-09FA-411B-A95D-AF2F96ED3382.jpeg

Justin, smctitan, rednas5 and 3 others like this.
  12. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Doe! Congrats!

13. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!!!

14. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    worst season I have ever had guys. the deer just aren't around this year. They were early on before season and a couple of odd times during, but for the most part, they are gone! I just don't get it. Very little sign around and even when I went for a long walk I didn't see much sign of deer. The only spots I could see deer sign I found stands... ugh... oh well... last year was great, so maybe it's pay back :)

Still plenty of time left, but bow ends soon. Then on to shotgun season. Everything changes then. Maybe it will change things for the better in my spots. We shall see.

15. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, what’s going on with the Bowhunting.com app? I haven’t been able to see pictures in 2-3 weeks.

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure - I have someone working on it.

I'm headed home from Wyoming now. Killed a nice little buck on Saturday morning. Didn't score much but it was 15 yards on the ground, no blind, rattled him in and 12-ringed him with Dustin behind me running the camera. It was an awesome hunt! I'll post the score details when I get back tomorrow. On the way to the airport now.

17. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Justin!
    I can't see pics on the phone app, only desktop.
    Can't wait to see pics.

18. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Came really close to tagging a decent GA public land mountain buck. He just wouldn't come another 15yds closer. They seem to be moving pretty good so I'm going to stick it out.
    IMG_20191121_092912_246.jpg

Western MA Hunter and Justin like this.
  19. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    congrats justin! looked like an awesome hunt!!

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Friday night I finally caught up with a good one and capped off one heck of a week of bowhunting. I got back from Wyoming on Weds afternoon and hadn't unpacked anything yet. Friday afternoon I snuck out of work early, ran home, grabbed whatever clean hunting clothes I could find, grabbed 3 good arrows, tossed some broadheads on them and headed to the woods. I was settled in by 3 and around 3:45 I caught this guy moving across a swamp about 200 yards to my North. Some aggressive rattling and grunting brought him my way and luckily I was able to get him stopped in a very small hole in some thick brush. He was hard quartering away at about 10 yards when I let the arrow go. He mule kicked and tore off into the brush, but I did not hear him crash. I waited 30 minutes then got down found first blood before it got dark, which looked really good. I then backed out as I was a bit unsure of the hit. I thought it may have been too far forward at that angle and was worried about only getting a single lung. I returned 4 hours later with my buddy and we followed a stand-up blood trail about 125 yards right to him. Turns out the shot was perfect - entered right behind the last rib on the near side and took out the liver and both lungs. He doesn't have a huge rack but he's probably the largest bodied deer I've ever taken. His neck and head were stupid big.

Took him back out the next morning and did some trophy pics. Not bad for a tripod and a self-timer! Getting that sucker back up in the truck on my own was a bit of a chore though. :lol:

[​IMG]