Nock n' Roll - Team 9

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by LittleChief, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You don’t come around much but when you do wow! Thanks Johnny!

foodplot19 likes this.
  2. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    We’ve all been there. Chin up keep grinding!

foodplot19 likes this.
  3. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly we have all been there. great buck.

4. marshbanks12

marshbanks12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I was able to get out and hunt all day Saturday after being stuck at work Monday through Friday. I decided to go hunt public land because I couldn't bring myself to sit at my farm for another all day hunt. I went to an access spot I have never been to that is close to a river. Basically the premise was to get across the river and hunt a part of the public that is a 2.5 mile walk unless you wade the river. I went in at sunrise and got across the river. It was a steady NE 15mph wind so I decided to hunt for several hours on the ground still hunting into the wind. I had several close encounters (40-50 yards) with scrub bucks and saw a lot of does as well. At about 1000 I decided to set up in a tree where I had seen the most sign. I sat until dark and had several yearling does walk under my stand. I thought about shooting one of them but then reconsidered when I thought about how bad the drag out would have been. At dark I walked out and am glad I didn't decide to pop a doe because it was a death march out that would have been extremely unpleasant trying to drag a doe out. I could have hunted tonight but decided I needed a night off from hunting. Starting to get down on myself and question what else I can do to make it happen on a buck this year. Ill probably be back out next weekend after trying to come up with a new strategy in my head over the next few days.

Ldsturg, foodplot19 and Westfinger like this.
  5. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you had a good hunt on that piece of public. Don’t get to frustrated, this stuff isn’t easy and sometimes we lose sight of that. Just stay with it. This team is within striking distance. I feel like we are going to surprise some teams with some more good scores. Keep grinding MB you got this.

6. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brother,
    Just step back and take a deep breath. I had a 4 yr dry spell due to errors and work. It will all fall into place soon enough. Enjoy the woods.

7. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    TV shows aren't real. It doesn't always happen in a 25 minute time slot. Keep after it.

Adamant2010 and Westfinger like this.
  8. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What?
    Are you kidding me! All those years of watching tv & trying every truck in the book in order to be done within a 30 min period is all for not...good thing Santa is still real !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westfinger, BigHoss and Russ morton like this.
  9. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm finally back home and I've never been so happy to have a hunting trip end. I'm exhausted. I'd been in camp for two straight weeks and hiking those hills day after day is no joke. On a bright note I did lose about 15 pounds. I came home empty handed but it wasn't for lack of opportunity. I was just selective. My brother thought I was nuts for letting that 8 point walk. I'm still glad I did, although part of me wishes I had shot it so that the push here in Missouri would be over.

Anyway, I'm gonna take a day or two of down time and then get after either this buck I've got on camera with my gun here at home, go to Kentucky with my gun to see if I can get a buck or both. If I do both it'll be hectic because Kentucky's gun season ends on the 24th and Missouri's ends on the 26th.

I'm considering going to Kentucky on Friday and hunting through Sunday morning and then coming back here for Sunday afternoon through Tuesday. It just so happens that Tuesday is the peak of the new moon. That always means good times in the woods.

I'm glad I've already racked up my bow buck for the team. That lets me get away with more gun hunting. :tu:

10. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went out
    Saw nothing in stand
    Saw 2 doe on the walk out
    I’m trying guys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's been nice sleeping in the past three days. I've put in a couple of half-hearted 2 1/2 hour sits in the afternoon but it's about time to get serious again.

I plan to hunt my home place seriously this afternoon through Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon I will tow my four wheeler back to our camp west of Van Buren in Mark Twain National Forest and hunt "my" valley Sunday afternoon through Tuesday, the last day of gun season. Tuesday is the peak of the new moon so I'm looking for Monday and Tuesday to be good days. The forest will be crowded again this weekend but most will pack up and leave Sunday afternoon. The camp site is only 35 minutes from my new place, so I'll just drive up, hunt all day and then drive back in the evening.

After that, I'll take Wednesday and Thursday off and spend Thanksgiving at home with my wife. Then on Friday, I'll load up and head to our hunting club cabin at Wattensaw WMA near Hazen, Arkansas and start bowhunting there. The season runs until 28 February there so I still have a lot of season ahead of me.

12. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. I did see quite a few deer tonight. Unfortunately it was all with 5 minutes left in shooting light. Going to be at it again tomorrow.

Westfinger likes this.
  13. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to mention.
    We have to hang stands this weekend for the start of the managed hunt on the 30th.

Westfinger likes this.
  14. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    What’s the story with the managed hunt?

Slow weekend for me as in I didn’t see a deer either morning sits which is pretty unusual. Not sure what I’m going to do for thanksgiving as far as hunting goes but that will most likely be my next opportunity.

Stay after it guys!

foodplot19 likes this.
  15. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I'll get ya a response after the boys hockey game.

Westfinger likes this.
  16. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Hey WF, the MDC has several hunts throughout the state to help reduce deer #'s in metropolitan areas. It's on a random draw.
    We were drawn for one in the area I grew up in that we always apply for. We were selected this year.
    Here we go!

Adamant2010 and Russ morton like this.
  17. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal. Any special rules? Doe only or earn a buck? I love urban zone deer hunting. It’s definitely a different experience but the hunting can be great. Good luck!

foodplot19 likes this.
  18. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, on the special rules.
    We can take 3 deer total. Have to take a doe first then can take a buck.
    This place is an awesome place to hunt!
    There is 4800 acres of park land and 930 acre lake. Granted there is a golf course, camp ground and numerous shelters but there are LOTS of areas to hunt. It's awesome!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Westfinger likes this.
  19. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys been on the road for work the last couple weeks so haven’t been out much. Was out this past Saturday morning, it was dead. I’ll be going out tomorrow morning so we’ll see what that brings!

Westfinger and foodplot19 like this.
  20. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Wow sounds like a great opportunity, good luck!
    Good luck!

I’m hoping to be able to sneak out this afternoon. Still early in the day so the schedule could fall apart but I’m hopeful. Activity on the cameras has fallen off so I’m not sure if they have switched up their evening feed routine. I’m hoping they aren’t hitting the neighbors bean field. Time will tell.

foodplot19 likes this.