If it wasn't for bad luck......

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Nov 11, 2019.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Black Eagle Renegades. The arrow itself is fantastic, however, I have had several nocks crack while practicing. Fortunately, the arrows have not blown apart or had any other issues. However, if I have old nockturnals with dead batteries, I now swap those out for the factory nocks. It has happened five times to me in the 18 arrows I have purchased. I have been shooting the same bow since 2015. It never happened once with other brands of arrows that I used before Black Eagle. I am betting that happened and just did it with enough force to damage the arrow too.

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, any reservations at this point about choosing that zone vs. somewhere more southern in the state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! Sucks, but glad you are ok buddy!

5. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hate that happened to you Justin. It definitely could have been worse though. A few years ago, the day before the opener, I had the same thing happen to me but mine derailed the string and destroyed my bow. I also do not know what failed. I assume the knock or the arrow. Keep after em man. Can’t wait to see you connect on a monster!

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very happy for you Justin. Great WY video.

7. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    JZ I was wondering how Iowa was going for you. Glad I checked the forum.

Curious which zone you decided to hunt? I have two points now. Debating on holding out for 5 or 6

8. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We are talking about doing Kansas sometime as well. I really enjoyed Southern Illinois public ground. Ohio and myself have a serious/love hate relationship. I think the % of shooters vs the total number of deer in SE Ohio is much higher than most places I’ve been. I liked the more fragmented pieces of public rather than one giant area if I can help it.

9. BowedUp

BowedUp Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had something similar happen to me before, but it was just while practicing in the yard. It turns out that for my situation, it was a combination of factors. Basically, the nocks that I had been using at the time had two notches instead of one. The first notch would grab the string, but the arrow was almost just sitting on the string instead of being locked in. If you applied more pressure, it would snap into the second notch and be securely snugged to the string. I didn't realize this at first, and had only snapped it in partially. When I drew back, apparently it was JUST enough movement to have the arrow slide a little bit and be knocked off square. When I released, the arrow careened off the side of my rest, and then pinballed back into the riser. When it cam back and spanked the riser, it exploded everywhere and left only the front portion of the arrow in tact. Not saying this is what happened to you, but it could have been some variance of this. Especially if you were moving around the tree and holding the bow at a somewhat unusual angle. Who knows!? So many moving parts and transferring of energy in shooting an arrow from a bow. Good luck for the remainder!

10. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you weren't hurt! Not much you can do - it sucks! You got the right attitude though, get back in the saddle (stand in this case) and keep plugging away.

11. Steven Dearden

Steven Dearden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, I am sorry to hear what happened. You can still look at it in a positive light in that you're not injured and neither is the buck. It is all just part of bow hunting I suppose. It is one of those things that you may never know the reason as to why it happened but again you aren't hurt and the buck gets to see another day!