Team 12 - Drop Tine Dozen

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by vermontwhitetail, Aug 26, 2019.

1. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck early! Kill that buck you jumped last week resetting a stand! I am stuck at work with no buck tag and the bitter part has hit me. I want to be in a stand so bad! I recently talked to a college buddy that moved to my area but in Indiana. We are going to work our tails off to find an Indiana piece for next season to hunt together! 320 days until October 1st!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Team 19 had a member post a buck that he scored at 141” and I’m pretty sure he made a mistake... Take a look and see what you think? If I’m wrong then I’m wrong - his team members don’t seem to have cared or noticed.

I’m just pretty sure that buck is closer to 120”. But... been wrong before.

3. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    most definitely agree. His mass measurements are nowhere close to where they should be. The deer definitely needs to be rescored. As an 8 I see 118-122

sycamoretwitch likes this.
  4. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    most definitely agree. His mass measurements are nowhere close to where they should be. The deer definitely needs to be rescored. As an 8 I see 118-122

5. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only one pic wants to load for me, but from that I’m leaning towards probably worth him double checking. Pics and angles sometimes come off funny and I am not the best at guessing so could be wrong too, but I’d say worth another check. Great buck, but agree it seems a little high from what I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  6. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I messaged team 19 captain just asking if he could have him check it out and remeasure the deer.

early in likes this.
  7. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I hate to be that guy I just noticed it - I don't look at every entry to scrutinize it by any means. I just saw that one and thought - nice deer! What did he score?! Wait... What?! Just seemed off - if indeed a mistake I don't think it is anything more than an honest mistake.

Turro and vermontwhitetail like this.
  8. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in today through Sunday. Looking for a buck but if I get trigger happy baldies are on the menu too!

9. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are right. My dad said the same thing to me when he posted it. That deer is no where near 141. Long tines but the mass just isn't there. Maybe 120 on a good day.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like he added the outside spread and tip to tip spread also! Needs re-scored for sure!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

11. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I messaged the captain and he said they were looking into it because one of the teammates also said something. The captain said it was his first good buck and the first he scored if I understood right.

early in, vermontwhitetail and Turro like this.
  12. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey gents. I was playing catch up on this thread while on the stand today and meant to respond but got interrupted by a buck coming in. No shots taken but one of the most exciting hunts of my life. Absolute emotional rollercoaster. Total of 7 deer around me for a little over 2 hours from 40 to 6 yards. The buck that interrupted me was a super funky deer with what appeared to be a turkey foot on the right side and his left looked like an oar that went straight down next to his eye. He had a nice body so I decided to take him of he gave me a good shot. He headed straight towards me and the veered off behind some brush at 35 yards. He was behind cover for a while but if he continued the same trajectory he wouldnt come broadside at 27 yards in a clear shooting lane. As I was waiting for him to work up I caught movement off to my right. A little doe had hoped the creek behind me and was working her way in. The buck looked like he was gonna move away from that one lane until he caught sight of the doe and started working his way toward her. At this point I hear the bell of a bird dogs collar working it's way toward me. The dog ends up working his was into 45 yards and I think my hunt is over. I manage to wave and get his owner's attention and he pulls the dog back. 25 minutes go by and I see the doe working back in. If she gave me a shot I was ready to take it. Out pops two more does behind her and then I see the funky buck coming in behind them. Two does stay behind me and to my right, while the other skirts behind me and comes up from the left. The funky buck starts walking straight towards my tree and stops behind me at 6 yards. As I try and maneuver to get a shot off while still trying to keep an eye on the does he catches movement and trots off but surprisingly doesnt blow. The does work around me every which way but they're either head on, behind some brush, or I'm pinned down by another and cant draw. Eventually one spots me trying to make a shot and we get into a stare down with her stomping her foot and bobbing her head. After 5 motionless minutes she goes back to feeding. Another doe joins the party and by know it's getting hard to even move my head to look around. I would have fleeting opportunities on varying sides and kept kept flopping back and forth to try and shoot off the right side or back over on the left. 25 minutes before the end of legal light the funky buck crosses back over the creek, followed closely by a decent little 7 point. The both start to chase off the mature doe feeding in the brush to my left. 10 minutes before last light the big 9 I had an encounter with comes trotting in with his nose to the ground. He passes in front of me at 14 yards while I'm at full draw but no matter how many times I grunted i couldn't get him to stop. All in all one of the best hunts I've ever had and on public land to boot. I'll be back in that stand in the morning. Tuesday morning I had a little 6 point working in at 16 yards and just before he stepped into a lane he got scared off by a bird hunter as well. The guys ive run into are pushing into the woods and bedding areas but its public land so they have just as much right to be there, just very frustrating.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Kfili, P&YChaser, early in and 2 others like this.
  13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up just seeing 2 yearling doe at 4:35PM. They may be the offspring of the doe I killed on Tue. I'll be doing an evening hunt tomorrow.

Turro and vermontwhitetail like this.
  14. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Sat from 2:00-5:00PM today. Saw one lone doe, then a small buck chasing a young doe later on. It's still happening!

15. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Keep grinding!! You’re going to get an opportunity or two yet! Make it count. You got this

early in, Turro and vermontwhitetail like this.
  16. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Up and headed out, down to the last two days of my 9 day stretch. Cams show 2 day light walkers, 8pts at last light on the 9th and 13th. Of course the 9th was the day we were traveling to NJ and the 13th was the day I brought the kids back to VT. Maybe today will be the day!

early in and Turro like this.
  17. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping to get out one of these days again. Had a glimpse of one on our field the other morning. Wasn’t hunting then. Kids have been too crazy from excitement from older kids birthday so haven’t tried getting them out with rifle anymore. And works to save so can still bowhunt. Might be done with family sits. Well see. Too many things interfering.
    Good luck out there guys. Makes it a little easier not getting out getting to see secondhand through you guys

vermontwhitetail and early in like this.
  18. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Our score hasn't been updated yet, but I see us as a serious contender. I think we're in the #3 spot?

MIHOYT89, vermontwhitetail and Turro like this.
  19. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Haven’t added up specifics but thought we should be something close. Few more could really tighten things up. Not sure when I’ll be out much. Really gonna be unplanned and sporadic but hoping to send another arrow still.

early in and vermontwhitetail like this.
  20. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Uneventful rutcation. Could have killed a bunch of Doe but kept letting them go thinking a buck might be trailing. Never saw a buck even close to worth shooting. Back to VT and rifle season. I'll have a bow some days and rifle others. Back to NJ the weekend of Thanksgiving, I'm going to fill my two Doe tags and hope a Buck walks by.

Kfili, early in and Turro like this.