Hunting in New York, a quick education, please.

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Heritage, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Maine, and for the last 20 years have embarked southwesterly to OH every fall to chase deer. I usually go the third or fourth week of October to get some pre rut action, but avoid the masses that show up November. On our way home this year we saw more deer than ever coming through NY, which got me to thinking about trying there next year. OH is a long drive and the licence fees have greatly increased. I did a little research and see that Steuben county seems to be the county to hunt. We are more about quantity than we are about quality. I also see that Allegany National Park is in or near Steuben county.

This brings me to my questions for anyone that may be able to help. The licensing seems a little confusing. What do I need for licenses or tags, and what are the bag limits? Am I correct that if I timed the hunt properly I could get more than one buck?

We would hunt the public at first but want to reach out to landowners as we got comfortable. Is NY a state that leasing has become the norm? That would be out of the question for us. We've found Ohio landowners to be accommodating and appreciative of us taking out deer, and would hope for the same in NY.

Lastly, has anyone spent a lot of time on the NY side of the Allegheny? I imagine it's much like the Park I'm accustomed to hunting in Ohio, wooded hill country.

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. whydidyousaveme41

whydidyousaveme41 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to NY. Archery tags are available over the counter. Proof of an archery-specific safety course is required. You might be able to get away with proof of an archery license from another state. I actually bought my first NY archery license around 10 years ago by showing the clerk the homework book for the WI hunter safety class I took as a kid. It had a specific archery section so she sold me the license. You should be able to buy online as well. Your archery tag is good for one deer of either sex. In order to buy the archery license you must first buy a general hunting license which includes a license for the regular season that is good for one buck only. So you can get two bucks per year. This page may help: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html Depending on which WMU you hunt, additional Deer Management Permits (doe tags) are available by lottery but only until October 1, so you've missed out on this year. Non-resident hunting is $100, bowhunting is $30 more and doe tags are $10 for up to two. Very reasonable for the out of state hunter. I'm in Erie county and have heard of more leasing happening here, but I think it is a relatively new concept. Not sure about Steuben. I hope it helps. I have very fond memories of visiting my great-grandfather up in Aroostook county.

3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is tons of state land in that area. The dec web page had tons of info and maps on these lands. To hunt the park you need a permit. I think they were free or cheap. I'm sure you can probably get them online these days.

I think about hunting over there but I have enough trouble trying to fill my OH buck tag.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NY is tough but can be fruitful. I'm up in Orleans and Genesee counties. Leases are popular but finding them can be difficult.

5. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Helpful answers guys. Thank you. With the leasing, I am hoping that not all the land is leased out, so I can get some old fashion permission.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. rangerFGM

rangerFGM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    keep in mind even though u get 2 buck tags you can only use the bow buck/either sex tag during the bow early and late season and the rifle buck tag during the regular season …… so if u timed it right and straddled the end of early bow (usually the rut like right now) and the Saturday of the gun opener then its almost like having 2 tags ….. I hunt in southern NY mostly and gain permission on private land and "bow hunting only" seems to open the door and then the neighboring properties see that im posting property they then talk to the landowner who gives me positive reviews and they ask me to post their property and I say sure the cost is letting me bow hunt ……. attached is last weeks buck

Attached Files:

7. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm liking what I hear. Thanks Ranger for the info. I would not be able to time that in a way to get two bucks, but I'm accustomed to only one anyway, hunting in Ohio and Maine.

8. rangerFGM

rangerFGM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always getting educated …. some of my info above is subject to interpretation and my comment about the bow buck tag only being used during the early season and late and not rifle should be verified by someone @ the NY DEC ….

I just learned that a leftover REGUALR tag can be used during the late season … quoted from the NY DEC:

"•Crossbows may be used to take deer during:
    ◦early and late muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone and late muzzleloader season in the Southern Zone using Bow/Muzz tags, DMPs, DMAP tags, or an unfilled Regular Big Game tag (late season only);"

so IN Theory after reading the above regulation and u haven't filled your 2 buck tags yet then going into the late season (this year that would be Monday Dec 9th thru 17 Dec) u can get 2 bucks …..

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    New York regulations are a joke.

10. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see you cant hunt half hour before or after sunset. That's dumb

ash d likes this.
  11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's funnier is you can for turkey season but you can't shoot them off the roost.... Makes no sense. That hr NYers lose is severely detrimental. I never leave my stand until I can't see and 90% of my action is during no shoot time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

ash d likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If they were smart and required orange or neon pink during gun season,then perhaps 30 mins before or after would be OK. But look at the shooting deaths that occur and by guys hunting together during gun season. Seeing its OK in Turkey it should be OK in bow season.

Fix likes this.
  13. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Small deer and heavy pressure in these counties

Fix likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Look to Alleghany county. There are many small state lands. Also when looking to lease...make sure the guy actually owns the land they are leasing. That has been a problem in the southerntier. There are also logging companies that lease hunting lands, though some have strict regulations, like no camping. Some read carefully.

15. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With the leasing, it was my hope that the land wasn't all leased up. I have no intent to lease. We'll hunt public and maybe ask around about some private.

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Don't over look all the smaller state lands. Also remember you also get a crack at a blk bear during the southern zone early archery.
    Example...Google Rattlesnake Hill Wildlife unit. When the map pops up make it small. This will highlight the many other separate units around it and their names. Between Allegheny, Steuben, and Livingston counties

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Heritage likes this.
  17. mflora98ss

mflora98ss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New York State Deer and Bear hunting hours are sunrise to sunset. Not sure where anyone is coming up with a half hour before or after sunset?

I heard the Hunting Public boys mention something about this on their video so I’m not sure if that’s where everyone is getting this incorrect information from.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  18. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont think anybody did.

oldnotdead and mflora98ss like this.
  19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What ppl are saying is other states are Dawn dusk

I said some turkey (spring) is Dawn to dusk as well [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

oldnotdead and mflora98ss like this.
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget that with doe tags you can apply for two anywhere in state before Oc 1 . They give out a probability chart to help with your choice of WMU'S . THEN on Nov 1 you can go pick up 2 more in units that have high deer densities. Also there is a late doe season in the Ithica area Jan. 10th, I believe for a week. That has special requirements. Also you can have another hunter sign over their doe tag to you. Up to two.
    Oh you can use a crossow the last two weeks of southern bow season.