Pin Size

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Steven Dearden, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Steven Dearden

Steven Dearden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,

I currently have a .19 HHA optimizer light, and have shot it on the same bow setup since 2014. I am looking to get a King Pin or a tetra with a dove tail so that I can extend the pin out farther away from my bow as well as getting a .10 size pin. What are the pro and cons of this and is it worth the extra money to have a clearer sight picture? All feedback is welcome.

Thanks everybody!

-Steven Dearden

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    .10s are TINY. Even with a really bright dot they're hard to see.

Steven Dearden likes this.
  3. Steven Dearden

Steven Dearden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Would I be better off sticking with a .19 and just extending my sight housing farther away from my bow?

4. syecklamia

syecklamia Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only pro of moving the pin further out from your riser is if you need the extra distance to clear up your sight picture in relation to your pin. If that’s not needed then honestly your wasting time and money moving it out. In fact I would argue that your most forgiving pin location is a close to the riser as possible to minimize the effects of torque.
    For pin size I like .10 pins, at least I do on my MGB and spot hoggs, that said not all pins are equal in size and brightness. I run .19, .10, .10 on all my sights floating the middle pin.
    On my dedicated white tail bow I use .19, .19, .10,.10

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've found the same as trial153, it is way more forgiving to have the rest closer to the riser. If you're wanting it for a hunting set up, I'd keep it closer to the riser. If you want to shoot dots at 3D shoots, and possibly find flaws in your form to fix I might add, then move it out and see how you do with it.
    Personally for pin size I much prefer a .010". I don't mind a .019" at 20, but beyond that I don't like how much of the target it covers up. As far as seeing a .010 in low light, its been my experience that seeing the pin isn't the issue in low light...it is seeing where to hold it on the animal when it is nothing but a brown blob. I struggle way more with seeing the front shoulder line on the animal than I do with seeing the pin on an early morning or late evening in the timber. I have an HHA optimizer light with a .010" pin and have more trouble with halo affect than I do with seeing it. I usually have the hood slid over the FO wraps so that only about two or three of them are exposed.
    Ideally I think a 3 pin mover with .019, .010, .010 pins would be perfect...for me anyway.

7. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 4 pin, top 3 are 19 bottom and flat is 10. I really like it. I love the smaller pin at longer distances to let it float similarly to the larger pin closer

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted with a .010 pin for a year and didn't like it much so I went back to the .019. Just personal preference but I had a hard time seeing the .010 in low light even with the rheostat wide open.

If you want to use the .010 you may want to consider adding the sight light, just in case.

dnoodles and Steven Dearden like this.
  9. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My current pin is a .19 but I do believe at some point I used a .10 I am going to upgrade sights soon to an HHA not sure what size pin though.. either a .10 or .19 my eyes ain't what they used to be and I don't shoot far even in practice.

dnoodles and Steven Dearden like this.
  10. buck16on

buck16on Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pin size is a choice that you need to make to fit your personal situation. personal meaning do you need pins you can see in low light and how are your eyes? If your eyes don't see the smaller pins very well then you need the larger pins. I'm not an archer I'm just a bowhunter So, I can't tell you what's best for competitive shooting. I use the smaller pins because I use 7 fixed pins and I have a special high powered light on my bow to light up my pins. Sometimes in the woods even 2 hours after day light lighting up my pins really helps. I read somewhere that the end of your pins should be in line with your arrow and your bow string. I always go to an archery shop to have a new string put on my bow and I have found that I'm most accurate if I have the end of the pins and the arrow and the bow string all in alignment.

11. Steven Dearden

Steven Dearden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the advice. I think i will go to my local bowshop and see what the options are. I do not see sense in buying a whole new sight just to have a smaller pin. Thanks again!

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a touch far sighted so it's hard to focus on a tiny pin and a deer simultaneously at any real distance. So it's .19s for me all day at any range.
    And the larger dot doesn't affect my distance shooting at all. I do have my Fast Eddy set out about as far as it will go, and use a small peep- it makes me more accurate because it tells me if I'm torquing my grip.