Best way to haul a climber

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Joe Tairei, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Joe Tairei

Joe Tairei Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got a Summit Viper climbing tree stand recently and finally I brought it into the woods yesterday. It's awesome! I've never hunted from a tree before; up to now, in the season-and-a-half that I've bow-hunted, have been safe in my ground blind or just hunting from the ground, hiding in the bushes or other concealment.

I find it really awkward to haul, though. It comes with this strap that you're supposed to use as a backpack, yet there's nothing in the instruction manual or even in the online videos how to attach it etc. Luckily, I was able to get an experienced hunter at the club to show me some stuff. But it's still kind of a pain.

I was wondering how people deal with this. I heard some hunters use Molle padded straps or similar and I found a couple of items online:
    https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Performance-Sprayers-182943-Backpack/dp/B01MY1YLJZ
    https://www.amazon.com/Military-Rifleman-Camouflage-Shoulder-Goverment/dp/B01CRGTSJS
    https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2534332

What would you recommend? Thanks for any tips!
    -Joe

2. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the bungee tether and backpack straps off of Amazon for mine. Much better setup. Still prefer my Lone Wolf Assault.

early in likes this.
  3. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I setup my summit climber with Molle shoulder straps and waist belt from amazon.
    I attached the shoulder straps to the platform and wait belt to the seat frame. Comfortable and cheap.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    this is THE best treestand packing system and it is universal far as I have found- however; finding one is almost as frequent as seeing a Booner.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100807718

My understanding is that XOP bought the patent a couple years back but has yet to actually produce it. Or at least if they did it was a short production run.

I've had my original TTS for about 5 years and use it a lot; and it has yet to break a single buckle or even have a seam rip.

I put the quick connect buckles on about 3-4 different stands and swap the harness around to whatever I want to use.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    jstephens61 likes this.
  5. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a great system. I’d have to change up my setup to use it. I’ve got a Blacks Creek fannypack that carries everything I need and then the stand go on over that. Guess I could switch to a backpack and hook it over the stand.
    Now you’ve got me thinking.

6. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was just looking at buying one of these from XOP. I even saw it at scheels sports too. Now I look at XOP's website and its not even on there. It was called the XOP treestand transport system.

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    B2B- judging by the comments on Amazon, it was available earlier in the 2019 season so it may have just sold out seasonally. Not sure why it's not on the XOP site, but I recall in a previous thread (sometime in the past year maybe) where we discussed XOP buying the TTS; the TTS was also not on the XOP website at that time either. Maybe XOP only lists products that are currently in stock?

JS- my fanny pack has a loop on the top for hanging while in the stand. I just looped some paracord on the stand(s) itself, and then use a small but strong carabiner to hook the fanny to that loop. Then I wrap the hip straps of the pack around the stand and tighten them down. Basically the pack just straps to and hangs off the back of the entire setup. But it's not really hanging if you do it right. Strapped to is a better phrasing. If you keep the weight of the fanny pack balanced between your shoulders and small of your back, it's balanced on your back and it locks in rock solid with no slop.
    Once it's all on your back, it feels like a pack frame.

I'd say with my entire heaviest setup- hang on, sticks, and fanny pack, I probably have the TTS hauling a little over 30lbs and it's never broken a clasp or ripped a seam. That's pretty tough. I walk deep, too.

While I've never seen a XOP-made version, the original TSG version is very well made.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Joe Tairei likes this.
  8. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This might be the case because a few months ago I was looking at buying their climbing sticks and they weren't listed on their website. Now I see that they are. They must do that so they don't have to deal with filling back orders or something.

9. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    My pack has full shoulder harness. Right now, my LW rides on to of the pack which helps distribute the weight better.
    The Viper only comes out for all day sits and the X2 pack would hold more than the fanny.
    May have to get the Viper out tomorrow and play with it since it’s colder than a well diggers butt.

Joe Tairei likes this.
  10. buck16on

buck16on Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Molly type straps that are rubber so I can spray them down and wipe them down for scent control. The rubbery straps are comfortable and they're quiet. I put them on all my climbing tree stands. I hunt out of climbing tree stands 99% of the time because I hunt 5 contiguous states and multiple Counties in those states and I'm always mobile and ready to instantly change locations. the rubber straps make it much easdier.

Joe Tairei likes this.
  11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    .....[​IMG]

dnoodles and Joe Tairei like this.
  12. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn’t that kinda stick out when you get to the tree? You’re one heck of a man if you haul it up the tree with you.

dnoodles likes this.