Team 1 - Team One Shot Wonders

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by beavertronic, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear you have some chasing going on, I saw a little bit last weekend but not as much as I had expected. Good luck everyone and stay safe.

MN-IN.A.TREE likes this.
  2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got skunked today. 21 degrees and 15 mph winds this morning. Sat all day facing into the wind and never saw a thing except for a coyote. Long day for sure. Moving locations for tomorrow morning. Good luck fellas.

Bob Thomas likes this.
  3. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven’t been around much. Work has been kicking my ace. Am out this weekend though. Have a nice tall 8 I am working. Image1573309956.109557.jpg

JGD and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  4. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Winding down my trip to Florida and my buddy's service went well. His entire Virginia chapter rode all the way to Tampa to pay their respects and we had about 150 to 200 people hanging out. Copious amounts of alcohol were consumed and a lot of amazing people came together for one hell of a man. Photo 1 was about 2 hours before the service. 20191108_144847.jpeg 20191108_152250.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Bob Thomas and Zblevins like this.
  6. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your friend. Not to get too in depth but I have buried enough that I called my father in tears and told him I was “tired of burying friends.” Enough friends (or whiskey) is the key to making it through. Don’t be afraid to talk to someone.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  7. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    I'm fortunate to have very close friends who know the situation and I have bourbon, so I am good so far. It truly sucks regardless. Looking forward to some tree stand therapy. Who all is still at it? Any prospects?

MN-IN.A.TREE likes this.
  8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in from Kansas, my final hunt will be tomorrow morning. Yesterday was pretty amazing. I saw 19 bucks and 15 before 8:30 am. Just at daybreak I could see two bucks standing in the cornfield I was hunting and they kept looking at the tree line to the east. Pretty quick a big buck and doe came into the field. I was a couple hundred yards away and had put out a decoy. I used the doe can a few times and grunted a couple of times. Wouldn't you know it, the doe led the three bucks right up to my decoy. I came to full draw on the big buck as he slowed to look at the decoy and was broadside at 30 yards but still moving left to right. He almost stopped and then the doe started moving out as the other two bucks were moving toward her and there was a fourth buck coming across the field in a hurry. They big buck jumped back from the decoy and was now facing straight away from me. I was at full draw waiting for him to turn and he did...and ran to catch up to the doe who was hurrying toward the woods. The buck coming across the field was another buck I had on camera and would have shot but he got into a fight with one of the other satellite bucks for over a minute. I videoed that fight and after they broke up, they went after the doe and other to bucks. I was really disappointed but what an amazing encounter. Today I saw five deer and rattled two of them to 10 yards but they were two year old eight points. I'll give it one more try in the morning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    MN-IN.A.TREE and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  9. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an awesome hunt!

JGD likes this.
  10. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The second pic is the one I was drawn on. The other was in the fight.

11. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice deer for sure JGD. I went out last night but saw nothing. I haven't seen any horns and the doe I've seen haven't given me a shot. I wanted to go out this morning but it's 29 degrees out and I'm not ready for it yet. Definitely going out tomorrow morning.

MN-IN.A.TREE and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  12. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Blarney22 likes this.
  13. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who dun it?? It's been a super slow week on the farm, just haven't seen the movement I expected to. Wednesday morning I seen 9 does by 730 and put one down but other than that morning I just can't seem to find where they're running during daylight hours. Still have another week to finish filling the freezer and then the looong wait until next October begins. Can't complain about my year at all but man it just seems to go by so fast compared to the offseason lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JGD and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  14. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Shane posted in the LFTS thread he downed a 7 pointer meat buck. He's in Illinois I think so it could be anything from 100 to 140 inch most likely. Either way I know the young man is probably one happy hunter.

Blarney22 and MN-IN.A.TREE like this.
  15. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been back from the farm sense Friday night. Friday was a great day. Had a deer I would have shot at 35 yards mid day but he was behind me on a trail I didn’t have a shooting lane cut to and then right at sunset I had a deer we have pics of that has been going by a stand at 25 yards. I would have loved to shoot him! Cameras only show you so much though and on Friday he decided to use a trail that put him right at 40 yards. We have very few pics of him so I’m sure he’s using that lane much more often then the one the camera is on. I ranged him twice even though I know that trail is at 40 yards, clipped my release twice.. just didn’t want to take that shot. He would have bolted into a standing corn field and 40 is no chip shot after an all day sit in below freezing temps. I don’t think I’ve ever shown that much restrain in the deer woods before. That’s the first time I have clipped my release and not killed.

Congrats to shane. Can’t wait to see the pics and hear the story. Hope you all continue to have a good November! I’ll be back out in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you made the right call

17. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
  18. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I’m sorry team...I’ve been pretty MIA. Just attempting to work hard and get caught up from my travels. I also wanted to tell the story in full. I have more pics and some with the bow though they’re no better. I’ll get him entered in when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

JGD, Zblevins and MN-IN.A.TREE like this.
  19. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Shane. Good read and congrats man! glad you where able to get it done while balancing school and everything that comes with the busy life of college and being away from home.

Shane0709 likes this.
  20. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome hunt and a great buck to show for it man way to go!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Shane0709 likes this.