Minnesota Rut

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Birdswacker, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you think we’re at with the rut?

Last week my son and I had does around us bow hunting and saw a couple little guys tagging along with them but not chasing. I figured with the gun opener we’d be golden but for the gun opener I saw 3 bucks running solo And small and my son had 6-8 does around him both days and with 1 or 2 little guys tagging along again and not chasing he waited to see if anything bigger would come in but no deal? We’ve got lots of pictures of decent 8’s or 10’s

2. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think lots of the bucks are locked down with does right now. For me it has been hit and miss, some chasing here and there but not a lot of seeking. Now with the gun season open lots of the activity will be at night unfortunately.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Terrible season no hard prerut chase phase

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly haven't seen a single buck chasing yet this year. Granted I haven't been in the stand a lot, i've had a ton of window time in the last month during harvest and have seen none. Only thing i've noticed in the last 10 days is the does are now alone, whereas 10 days ago they still had their fawns tagging along. Not many dead deer on the roads around here either which is pretty uncommon. There is a lot of standing corn around the countryside so I have a feeling that definitely something something to do with lack of sightings/dead deer.

5. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now that you made the comment about dead deer on the roads I just realized it’s been a week or two since I’ve seen a dead deer on the road?

The corn is a possibility but where I hunt a lot of fields didn’t get planted because of the spring. I’d say maybe 25% got planted. So the fields that did get planted are super full of deer then?

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I mean I can't say for sure obviously but yes, I would say if you've got standing corn around yet there's likely to be a good amount of deer in that general area.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk