Hunting in the Northeast

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Brian Pye, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Brian Pye

Brian Pye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and also to whitetail hunting. I've lived in Massachusetts for awhile now and am trying to wrap my head around how to bow hunt up here on public lands. I live in Zone 10 but travel between 9 and 11 to hunt. So far I've been unsuccessful but I'm definitely learning a lot - and learning it the hard way.

I joined BHA to (hopefully) get linked up with a mentor but so far no luck - the gent I've been paired with is about as green as me and is also unsuccessful. I didn't grow up in a hunting family and am inflicted with "Adult Onset Hunting" and I have no buds to hunt with and learn from nor know of any private property to try on.

I read a lot, listen to a bunch of podcasts, and live on Google Earth, OnX, and Caltopo daily. I'm a mobile hunter at the moment, I carry a climbing stand with all my gear attached. I'm open to different styles but this is where I'm at currently. I don't mind a long trek. Last week I hiked over 2/3 a mile into Pantry Brook WMA to go where I thought no one else was (totally wrong) and I'm willing to go further.

I've been out 4 times this year and have only seen a group of does once (out of range). I'm all-in and plan to hunt at least once a week if possible. I feel like swamps could be where it's at but don't know where to start (and I've heard some horror stories about Hockomock).

I'm looking for any good advice, things to avoid doing, things to try, etc. I'm up to meet up and hunt with someone or just walk through some property to learn what to look for if that's an option anyone is willing to consider.

Thanks in advance for any feedback - cheers!

Joe Tairei likes this.
  2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brian welcome, bowhunting in the northeast especially on public land comes with steep learning curve and low success for even experienced bowhunters.
    Mass has healthy deer population howver I woudlmt call it robust by any means.
    For a starting point in would look public lands in zones that highest deer per square mile as published by the state. From that point I would focas on one or two areas until you get a feel for deer behaviour and use patterns. How you determine which areas would best to focas on would be though actual sighting and sign.

BHA is great organization, stick with it and may open some doors for you as well.

Another peice of advise is to hunt private land. Use your network of friends and family to gain permission. Youd be surprised how good a small peice of private land can be in the right location

Joe Tairei and Brian Pye like this.
  3. Joe Tairei

Joe Tairei Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also in eastern Mass. Tried to msg you but it said my msg was "spam like" and wouldn't send. Anyway, feel free to write/msg and we can share info. The bottom line is that there are deer around here -- I see them frequently in my back yard -- but they're pretty elusive on public land and I suspect the easier ones have already been taken. Opening week some guys reported getting deer, since then it's been scarce. I wonder if the coyotes have thinned the herd the past couple of years?