***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2019***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would be livid! Maybe have the landowner forward the pics to the CO? Possible he knows them or has other complaints on them

tdk5525 likes this.
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention the dsmn bugs yesterday. Flies, gnats, spiders even a butterfly. Figured today I'd hear grogs on the pond and turtles sunning

foodplot19 and vermontwhitetail like this.
  3. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tony and dnoodles like this.
  4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dealt with gnats like I've never experienced in the past, for the first 4 days of last week. So bad that I had to use my head net! With the colder temps they're gone, for now.

foodplot19 likes this.
  5. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing for us this AM. Trying a different WMA spot for Grace this afternoon. Shes on buck patrol after yesterday's doe. Pulled a card today on the edge of the cut corn, three different shooter bucks working the hedge on the edge of the cut corn in the afternoons! We will be in that stand Monday and Tuesday afternoons when we can get back in the park, no Sunday hunting there, just WMA'S.

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    was gonna say the same...looks like a lot of fat on that arrow. Go slow @snuff or better yet back out- give it as much time as you can. Maybe go take care of that pig first, come back for the deer.

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I heard frogs over in the swamp here in Northern IL a few days after that effing Storm Olga...2 weeks ago?

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did hear frogs this morning.

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This trick works very well. I put these pockets on the back of a turtle neck shirt. They're positioned exactly where my kidneys are. Slip two Grabber Warmers in there and I'm golden. Really makes a difference in the cold.

Attached Files:

10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

What @cls74 said...
    although I doubt it would have actually been affected by the expiration date. Long as the pack was never opened it should be fine. Exposure to O2 is what activates it just like Hot Hands.

You and my wife...she's always going thru the medicine cabinet throwing out perfectly good things less than a month expired. She even threw out some perfectly good 2 year old Dayquil liquicaps never opened. Savage.

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My really cold weather gear has pockets for those in that exact same place.
    Makes it very nice!

vermontwhitetail and early in like this.
  12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's the thing, we were in the teens and below freezing for several days prior. One day warming into the 50's they wake up amd act like they never left. Bastages!

sgcableguy, early in and tdk5525 like this.
  13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I posted this at 9:17 am. Snuff shoots a buck at 9:45 am. Clear night, full moon, November 10 moon underfoot at 11:26am. The ones who stay out until at least 2pm instead of going in for lunch will be the killers today. If I could be out, I would have slept in, been on stand around 9am and hunted until dark. Stay out and KILLLL!

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I was going to use it I'd have left it unooen. Been on top of the refrigerator for 3 years. Coupon inside expired early 2018.

Only thing I use expiration date for is my license plates and milk :lol:

The Vivarin in my hunting stuff I will take if needed expired in 2017, not worried about it in the slightest

dnoodles likes this.
  15. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still on stand waiting on midday movement like past 2 days on cam. Passed a 6 pt and couldn’t get a tight 10 to stop around 9a to get a shot

Mathews HTR, Sword 5 pin, Truball release, Goldtip XT hunter 300, QAD 125 gr Swept, QAD rest

16. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t know why I own or carry a grunt call, it doesn’t do anything

Mathews HTR, Sword 5 pin, Truball release, Goldtip XT hunter 300, QAD 125 gr Swept, QAD rest

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It works on young bucka which this time of year what's better than a live decoy coming to your stand.

I've only called in one mature buck, and I didn't know what it was. Thought I was toying around with a young buck. Could only see flashes of antlers through the cedars.

I bet it does good for rifle hunters, I've stopped many mature bucks with them but never got them to come in. Just have to get the right one in the right mood I guess.

Never had luck with a can call either. Hell, I've never heard a doe bleat while on stand so not sure how common it is.

Kfili, vermontwhitetail and ash d like this.
  18. snuff

snuff Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_1062.JPG going to back out on the buck but it doesn’t look good all fat on the arrow found about 10 small drops of blood smaller than a pencil eraser about 150yds away from shot going to come back about 4 o’clock see if I can pick it back up

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

I would 100% agree with you on this except one time...one time only I called in a giant in from about 150 yards away. He was headed laterally down a treeline across the road from me and I hit a Primos UpRoar https://www.walmart.com/ip/Primos-Up-ROAR/17376405 which was the only call loud enough to reach him. He stopped and started thrashing a sapling. He stopped and started continuing on his route when I hit it again 2-3 times and he came charging in on a beeline- would've crossed the dirt road and into the woods I was in directly in front of me about 30 yards away; except these 2 jackasses who had been bombing up and down the dirt road all weekend in a mudder Jeep Cherokee w/ no exhaust decided it was time to come flying around the corner. They come bombing past just as he was about to cross; he flips a 180 and hightails it out of there. He was a tank and probably 150+. I remember thinking very unkind thoughts towards both God and my fellow man at that moment.

I have another call that has both a buck grunt and doe bleat on it that are fairly tame and I think a doe bleat tends to work better...so I don't usually use that UpRoar call b/c the doe call on it is really loud and obnoxious; but for a hail mary- it stays in my playbook and my pack.

cantexian, Kfili and vermontwhitetail like this.
  20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ummmm i really don't know what to do right now. Went and took down stand and looking for place to put it. Came to other side of farm and was driving around edge of timber and jumped a nice at least 8 pointer, he'd get a arrow, and something else. So drive back around and park to look for a spot to set up. Start walking down hill and see at least 2 deer take off again. Keep hearing walking around so sit down on ground and the buck comes back my direction trotting around like he's lost his keys and heads straight at me to about 20 yards before he looks up and sees me sitting on ground. Turns back and just kinda trots around some more before leaving. Never really blew out or anything but i have no idea what to do now as far as putting stand up. I'm assuming he was bedded down in here but it's kinda of a bowl all around and really no good trees to set up on a ridge.

Most excitement have had all season and all i got is my glock on my side

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.