***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2019***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    E98D88BB-8410-402E-9339-413CEF830997.jpeg

3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To cold to update from the stand. Kept hands in pockets most of the time. Saw 1 spike a small doe with a yearling. Still seems really slow in NY.

4. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, you got at least 2 bruisers there. That last one is a giant! The fourth pic, that buck is all bristled up, ears back. Be careful, one of them may be tending a doe in there.

5. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20191109_181216.jpg
    Grace's Doe this evening. So proud of her!

6. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just catching up after working all day, congrats on a nice doe!

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! Congrats!

8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One lone mature doe came by all alone at 5pm. WTH?

9. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out. Got zeroed again. Starting to wonder where all the deer went. Looks like tomorrow I may have to head down to the family farm. Two sits where I expect to see deer has me baffled. I haven't over pressured them.. Deer hunting.. Just when you think you have it figured out it humbles you again!

10. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, they say it only takes 15 seconds to trun a crappy hunt into a good one. Happened to me today so must be true.

Started out chitty and didn't get much better. Forgot my gatorade at home, but still had half of yesterdays in the truck, figured didn't need it yesterday I'd be fine.

Bumped an unkown in the area of the stands on the way in, but pretty clean after and not overly heated from the walk. Had an unkown about to come out 5 minutes before legal but didn't like something and turned around.

Started off a little better than yesterday after legal light. Had a fawn with 6" serrated spikes come in about 6:15, then look upwind and see a doe headed my way. Get turned a little bit incase she has a stalker behind her, then she disappears. Heard soke rustling to my right(upwind) and see some legs coming and she steps out, doe fawn, probably same one as yesterday left to fend for herself while her mom is out whoring up the woods. Almost gave her a forever home, 3 times, but wasn't even sunrise yet so passed. She walked around aimlessy for about 10 minutes then went down towards the box blind. More rustling to my right and out steps a fawn with 2 forks. A lot of this years fawns with more than enough antler to meet either sex tag criteria so never even crossed my mind to shoot. He heads back in the woods and back comes the doe fawn(3rd shot temptation, almost unclicked the safety) and she heads into the bedding area.

And that was it, not a glimpse nor a sign of another deer the rest of the morning. Full fledged lock down is all I can gather, neither of the other two hunters seen a deer, they only hunted morning. I planned to hunt all day butdidn't end up happening. Debated leaving at 11 so I climbed down, on my way outI seen the box blind and figured I would check it out again. Inside wasn't an iota of wind for the most part, heavy gusts would cause a draft even though there are 6 windows. Sat in it for a good 45-50 minutes hoping a cruiser would come down the highline right of way down wind of bedding. Didn't see a thing so decided that was a wrap.

Got out and started up the 4 wheeler trail and stopped. Told myself I've been waiting since last November for this string of days. I'm already here, why leave? Ultimately decide to climb back in stand.

First time the wind died down I let out some grunts. No clue what kind or what I'm doing, just emulating TV, did a long, folled by not as long and 3-4 shorts.

About 30 seconds later I hear the gawd awfullest sound. Sounded like a pig with a cherry bomb attached to his oink, or a sick cow. It did it like 3 or 4 times, then I hear a deer blow. Thought aomeone was messing with me for a second, then thought, that's a buck growl. Did the only thing I could think of and snort wheezed. About 5 seconds later all hell busts loose, crashing and limbs breaking getting closer. I think holy chit, he's coming for me. I stand up and turn around waiting when it goes silent. I'm scanning the woods behind me and down the trail when a doe leaps out on the trail the shooter from yesterday was cruising. 2 seconds later a spike junps out and zi laughed to myself. Then another ruckus and out pops a year and a half old spike, then shirtly after a 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 racked buck.

I almost slid down the ladder and crawled in the shrubs on that trail thinking if she was in estrus more bucks would follow at some point. Looled at my watch was 12:15.

Decided not to as nothing else came out, but watched it closely. About 10 minutes later I hear something coming where the doe fawn and forked fawn come out and here comes that 1 1/2 spike second in tow of that doe,mouth wide open and pa ting with a slight limp.

Can only imagine the biggest and him got into a fight over the doe and the little one started chasing her and almost stole her away until they realized what was happening :lol:

Didn't see anything the rest of the day and packed it up about 2:45. Never had any luck in the evenings, rut or not.

First time I've ever heard the buck roar/growl knowingly. I'll never miss it again, was one of the coolest sits without killing anything.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  12. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  13. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  14. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely a lot of lockdown going on, but there should be a steady flow of bucks breaking loose and going back on the prowl in the next few days. I go on vacation on Thursday, I still feel very optimistic of my chances to see some action.
    FYI, the bucks you're seeing with horn, I don't think are this years fawns. Those are 1.5 year olds, IMO

15. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  16. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome congrats!

CMTRAV and vermontwhitetail like this.
  18. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Swamp Stalker likes this.
  19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Retiring the crossbow. Bow only from here on out. Said I was switching back to a bow, spent the money on everything to do it and with the cold have been using the crossbow being bundled up. When I got back to the truck this afternoon I seen something in the door storage. Ended up being my release, I swear I attached it to my bow string when I cased it. Had I switched out for the bow before today I'd have likely driven bacm to town and bought one or just went home pissed. Think that was my sign use your bow as promised and better things will happen.

Think that is my curse, going to try to get out tomorrow. If I can get some sleep, I almost said screw it today as I was so tired. Just can't get set in a deep sleep to sleep through the night for some reason.

Anyhow, will only be sitting until 1 or 2 tomorrow if so, as I told my brother I would take my stuff to his house to watch the Steelers game.

Monday looks horrible with light snow, dropping temps and winds gusting near 30.

Tuesday looks cold and not so windy. Might be a huntable day see what it lools like Monday evening.

Wednesday starts the downside of vacation and I'll probably become less selective and drop standards a bit. Filling the freezer is what its about, but the rut gives me the chance to add antler, once it is gone so is my antler chances for the most part.

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lets go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.