Hunting corn field edge shot issue

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Tink-a-Link, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last night I was sitting on a corn field edge with standing corn... In central Minnesota so you can imagine my annoyance that there's still standing corn. However, this was my first sit on a new property and I was not expecting much, more or less it was just a recon sit to find out what kind of activity was on the new farm.
    8 pointer walked out of the tree line, and quickly disappeared into the corn. I found him as he walked into a sparsely populated area of the field where the corn mostly failed to grow. Long story, short; I finally got drawn on him only to have him walk back into an area where the corn was still fully grown. There was a few moments when I'm certain that I could have shot and the arrow would have only gone through the leaves of the stocks, not the stock itself. However I wasn't confident in the shot so I let him pass.
    I'm seeking advice on whether that shot would be a good shot or not. If others have taken that shot, let me know. If you would let it walk, let me know.
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When in doubt...don't. I was raised on a dairy farm in central Ohio. Corn was picked by Halloween unless it was planted late due to weather in the spring.

3. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't have shot unless it was absolutely unobscured. Corn leaves have a strong midrip on the underside. Definitely enough to affect an arrow flight. Bowhunting is hard enough as it is, and if you add trying to get through leaves and still go where you want it, I think you're only asking for trouble. I would just be patient. If he is still coming out to a food source than I think you have a good chance at another shot.

4. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to say if the farmer is even going to cut it down this year or not. I imagine that it'll be cut down at some point, but with the amount of rain we had during normal harvest timeframe, the ground was so soft that it was impossible to get the combine on the grounds.
    So it should be a continuing food source for a while yet. I'm glad I made the right choice according to two people. I had only seconds to make the decision.
    Hopefully Thursday bring the same and ik be a little more prepared. I'll post an update if one comes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk