Self filming and packing

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Buckwounder, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Buckwounder

Buckwounder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Camera arms and packing. After reading many of these posts, and trying both the muddy and fourth arrow arms I like the FA set up.
    I hunt out of a saddle and am trying self filming this season. What I am getting frustrated with my pack set up. I’ve tried three different packs and I can’t seem to find a pack that I can re-pack from up in the tree that fits all the gear effectively and quietly.
    What are you self filmers using that completely packs your camera arm and doesn’t weigh a ton?
    Also looking for a smaller protective padded bag for my Sony AX700 to keep it from getting roughed up while inside my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I go to this pack year in and year out ... LowePro Flipside 400AW. I have used hunting intended camera bags and have yet to find a back pack that works better than the LowePro. I think I am on year 7 or 8 with it. Side pocket for my Fourth Arrow base. Side pocket and lashing strap for my Fourth Arrow camera arm. Orgainzed camera space for my camera, lenses, monitory, light, batteries, and other camera gear. Exterior pouch for my basic hunting gear (grunt tube, knife, wind checker, flash lights, and just stuff).

I suggest it every time and no one wants to listen because it is not made by a "hunting company" for "hunting" ... it freaking works for DSLR's, mirrorless, video cameras, etc. It even worked well back when I ran a Muddy Hunter arm with that giant base that I woud simply lash to the outside of the pack. The thing is excellent.

Buckwounder likes this.
  3. Buckwounder

Buckwounder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    DEC, you were just the guy I needed to hear from. This may be exactly what I am looking for. What fourth arrow arm do you use? Do you find the pack quiet? How about weight? Sounds like if it handled the muddy arm and base then it should be tough enough to take the weight of my sticks and platform too, what do you think?

Thanks again.

4. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Kuiu 1850 frame and pack. Forth arrow camera arm, base, fluid head, camera, and mic all go in the bag. Tethrd Platform goes between bag and frame, and 3 hawk helium sticks attached with the pack straps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Buckwounder likes this.
  5. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Regarding the Fourth Arrow arm ... I have a love/hate relationship with it. That may be a bit harsh but sometimes I feel that way. I have the triple arm and the newer 2.0 shoulder system. I had an original Stiff Arm and original bases for a year prior. This is my second year running the 2.0 stuff and triple arm. I love having a dozen bases spread across a dozen stand locations that I do not have to screw with. I love the weight of it. I hate the shoulder to base connection. The tollerances are so tight that even though the bases were assembled with the shoulder in them for alignment, they can still be a bear to get the shoulder through the two plates, and doing so quietly is nearly impossible. The newer 2.0 system can make it tough to get the shoulder tightened down on certain angles as well. And I have bent two of the tightening tools to date. It is an OK system.

I ran a Muddy Hunter arm for probably 6 or 7 years prior to that. The Muddy is ROCK SOLID on the tree. Zero bounce in the camera. Very smooth. Great leveling system. The downfall ... that GIANT base that has to be A) carried somehow and B) put up and taken down with every set up. It was also a love/hate relationship.

Regarding how I carry it all ... I have ran this LowePro Flipside 400AW with a huge Canon XH-A1, a smaller Canon XA20, various DSLR's with lenses, and for three years now, my Sony A6500 with lenses. It addapts flawlessly to whatever I need to carry. I used to carry the Muddy arm and base on the outside and have carried my Fourth Arrow arms and shoulders on it as well.

I took these photos today as I packed up from my morning hunt. This is how I am running it this year. Every year it tweaks a bit depending on my latest camera/monitor situation.

In the tree
    [​IMG]

Caged camera, three lenses, monitor, batteries, cables, flash, sometimes a light or two as well ...
    [​IMG]

Additional storage in the camera space
    [​IMG]

General gear in the outer pocket
    [​IMG]

Arm stored on one side
    [​IMG]

Shoulder stored on other side
    [​IMG]

Packed and ready to haul out
    [​IMG]

Other side ready to haul out
    [​IMG]

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here was my setup 4 or 5 years ago with a Canon XA20 and the Muddy arm. Exact same bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buckwounder likes this.
  7. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    DEC, that is one impressive outfit! Thanks for the detailed description of your pack and equipment!

DEC likes this.
  8. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OP, appologies for the brief hijack

@DEC , After season im planning on having the local machine shop class set me up with aluminum brackets to replace the heavy steel on the fourth arrow base. DIY hunter did it and seems to hold well, I use a boat strap on my base now instead of a ratchet, and run a pretty light camera (sony Cx-675), in your opinion do you forsee any issues with this?

9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I think anything has to better than the current bases. I just about cut the strap on one this morning so I could throw it through the woods. The "screech" of metal on metal as the shoulder went in, the pain on the ass of trying to get the top pin to line up with the hole in the base, and then when I was done hunting it was like the base and shoulder were seized together. I hate the bases more and more with each hunt.

10. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt public so i keep the shoulder permantly afixed to the base but I did have that issue last year when I would take them apart for transport. Its just heavy with the current steel base, i feel like aluminum would shave a couple pounds.

11. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Aluminum would be better as it would not rust too. I leave my bases up all season. They go up in early September and come down in late January. The steel ones rust. I think that could be a bit of my binding issue when I put the shoulder into and take it out of them. I think that the tollerances are so tight that any oxidation makes it even more difficult to slide the shoulder in and out.

The bases are supposed to be the heart of the system, but really they are the weakest link.

12. Buckwounder

Buckwounder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    DEC, thanks for that. I’m still going to want to attach my sticks and platform to my pack so it’ll take some figuring out but the detailed pictures of how you do were a big help.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    DEC likes this.
  13. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    ALPS pathfinder for me. I love how its 4 packs in one. I mainly use the day pack mode for my camera and hunting gear but if i need to pack around my camera arm i use the back pack mode.

14. Thermal Hound

Thermal Hound Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The bag is marvelous!!!! Thanks for your description. I can be a Doraemon if I put it in the front. hhhhhhhhhh

15. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Dec, what remote are you using in that first pic and does it allow you to focus your Sony A6500?

16. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, just saw this.

I have two different ones, but they look nearly the same and function identical.

The one in the photo is the Fotga RM-VPR1. I also own the Sony RM-VPR1. The only difference is that the Fotga has a longer cord and it is easier to attach to the camera arm. But funtionally they are the same.

They cannot drive manual focus like a Lan-C can on video cameras. But it will power the camera on and off, record start/stop, drive the zoom on a Power Zoom lens, drive the Intellizoom on a prime lens, push to auto-focus for a photo, and run the shutter for photos. It is a nice remote.

17. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, went to get the lowepro 400 while it was on sale and missed out as they were sold out. Oh well.

But QUESTION.
    When you all shoot a deer at edge of dark and then film post interview what light do you all use or to even show the deer when found?

I currently use a cannon g30 with a rode mic on top with the shoe. But have no light, and few times it would have been nice when self filming.
    Thanks.

18. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a couple small led panel lights. I have one that is smaller than a cell phone and another one that is maybe 1 1/2 times the size of a cell phone. You can buy them on Amazon.

19. DelbertKorte

DelbertKorte Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just caught your post - self-filming while hunting is quite the challenge but super rewarding when you get it right! Packing gear effectively is a common struggle, especially when you're aiming to keep it light yet protective. For the camera arm and gear, a lot of self-filming enthusiasts go for customized packs, or sometimes even military-grade tactical bags for that balance of weight and protection.
    Since it's been a while, I'm curious to know how you've adapted over time? Also, if you're looking to up your filming game, a 1-year cinematography course at https://www.praguefilminstitute.cz/1-year-cinematography-course/ could offer some great insights and techniques that might help even in the wild.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023