Hunting with farm equipment

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Buckwounder, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Buckwounder

Buckwounder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I posted an hour or so ago about hunting a bedding area that I thought I had blown out this morning when I made a bunch of noise when I grunted and rattled at a big buck with no response. Wether or not to hunt it again.

I’m back in the tree, and after I get settled in a big farm rig started to work the field on the hill. The edge of the field is about 200 yards away.

Would you move?

2. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd stay put. I've had deer walk right under my stand when tractors\combines\etc are out in the field 100yds or whatever away... This weekend I even had a doe walk right under my stand at last light when 2 hrs earlier some pheasant hunters parked their side-by-side 75yds away, walked a round in the CRP with a dog - shot 3-4 times turned their rig around in the field not 20yds away then left.

3. Tom WI

Tom WI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would say put. Deer are used to farmers driving around. Depending on what the the guy was doing, and what kinda field it was, he may even cause the deer to leave the field and come your direction. But as soon as the guy leaves, or goes to the other end of the field, the deer are usually totally ok with coming in behind him and will begin to pick at any crops he may have left. Sometimes youll see em come out while the farmer is still pulling away from the field.

Buckwounder and oldnotdead like this.
  4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Stay there, as others said. I recall a farmer who kept his shogun/slug combo on his tractor. While picking corn, he had deer stop at the edge of the field as they were going to feed on his corn.

Buckwounder likes this.
  5. Buckwounder

Buckwounder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up having a group of does come through that evening at last light about an hour after he stopped working the field.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah can't do that in minnesota, heck Travis could lease out combine rides if it was legal here.