Anyone else struggling?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't even see a doe! And when I do, there are no bucks following.. even the ML guys are not killing big bucks like usual..

2. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    That's bad, real bad..

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I had no does at least I could climb down go in the house, warm up and eat supper instead of waiting for dark hoping the does move off.

Vabowman likes this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well Tred's life sucked too.

Vabowman likes this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I do shoot a deer and I track it down I may just kick it a few times out of frustration.:deer:

sgcableguy, Okiebob and Justin like this.
  6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey now, that is my philosophical hunting mentor!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO!!!

8. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What I've noticed in my area is I believe there are alot more successful hunters than before. I've seen less does and the age of the bucks I see is less. Mainly because they have opened up the state park by me for 6 weeks to bowhunting. last week of Oct through first week of December. Alot of word of mouth about the quality of deer around, so more hunters out. I've seen more cars parked on the side of the road on public land this year than any other year. Almost every couple days at work someone is talking about someone they know who has harvested a deer (or 2). The statewide deer limit for Ohio is 6. Only one buck. Just more successful hunters on good quality land.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    He should have found somewhere else to hunt I guess.

Lung Buster and virginiashadow like this.
  10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, he purposefully hunted a tree stand facing a large lake. He did that to toughen his mind and eliminate the weakness from his soul. On day 69, he began changing internally.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He should have bought a saddle and been more portable.:cool:

Justin likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to start nut punching myself to alleviate the pain of watching a feminist doe party hunt after hunt.

virginiashadow and Okiebob like this.
  13. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen a few good bucks, lots of does and dinks. My main frustration has been not being able to set up on the buck I'm after due to wind direction. I have a stand in a great spot that will give me a good chance at him but the wind has yet to cooperate when I have the time to hunt. So, I guess I'm in the market for a product that has the capability to change the weather in my favor.. It needs to be small enough to carry to the stand and have not only the ability to alter wind direction but be able to raise the Barometric pressure as well. Maybe I'll put in a call to Darpa or Raytheon to see if they have it.

virginiashadow, Vabowman and Sota like this.
  14. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO!! You are on a roll this morning!!

virginiashadow and Sota like this.
  15. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ah so what you are really saying is the man is a masochist...

Or perhaps s sadist if he preaches to others to follow his example

Sent from my RS501 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

16. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just like my first marriage. Shudder.

17. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This season has been really tough for me, but I expected that. Had selective cutting done on my land this summer and continuing until early September (or so I thought). All the patterns have changed and it’s been damn near impossible to find the new ones because:
    - it’s impossible to find real rubs when 19 out of 20 trees looks like it has a rub on it from where the skidder bumped up against it
    - can’t find scrapes when 90% of the land is bare dirt and even if you do find what looks like a scrap in one of the rare patches of undisturbed ground there’s is no way to know for sure whether it’s actually a scrape or if a tree branch was sticking out from one of the trees they were dragging out and it hit the ground and scraped away a patch while the tree was getting drug out
    - until 2 weeks ago we hadn’t gotten rain since spring and we have red clay soil that’s so rock hard when it is dry that deer don’t even leave tracks.

Not to mention that they pulled out all their stuff in early September so I thought they were done. Then last Monday I drove by the land and saw they were back out there going at it. Called my forestry management guy and he said that they still had one last strand to cut and would be there another 3-4 weeks - basically right through the rut. I can’t really do anything because I knew that they were originally supposed to cut that patch and it was in the contract. I just thought they decided not to cut it when I saw they had pulled out all their equipment a couple months ago. It’s in the toughest terrain on the property (IE Bedding) so when they left I just assumed that they were unable to cut it due to the terrain. Needless to say my heart kind of sank when I saw them back and I’m pretty discouraged at the moment.

On the bright side though it’s going to be killer the next 5 years. Deer love those first few years after selective timbering with all the food and cover that they get with the new growth.

I also have an ace in the hole for this year that I’m about to use. It comes in the form of a golf course thats chock slam full of deer and I’ve got the exclusive right to hunt it. Right now it’s just a ****load of does but as soon as rifle season and the rut gets here the bucks move in for the does and the safety of a place where they’ve never once been shot. Its never been hunted before and the deer could practically care less about humans out there. You’ll see does standing in the fairway and you literally have to walk up to within 20 yds before they even think about leaving, if you don’t go within 30 yards of them they’ll just stand there and watch you walk by and then go back to eating. Bucks are always out and about in broad daylight there and seem to think that they’re invincible out there. I’ve been saving it all season for the rut and haven’t hunted it once yet. This is the first year I’ve included a clause in their lease that allows me to hunt there so I have actually never hunted there before this year but I’ve been playing golf (aka scouting) out there for 20 years so I pretty much know where to set up. It’s gonna be nice to just cruise right up to the stand on a paved path in a silent (and heated) golf cart.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Vabowman likes this.
  18. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I’m struggling alright. From just not knowing. Hit one in shoulder back in. October hit the window sill of my she shack shooting at a doe, she walked out to 20 yards I hit her in Shoulder I was so excited both times. Watched them both run away. Went out to the shack Friday and had a 6 pointer come 20 yards, I put the pin on his shoulder and moved it back to where I thought was perfect and let it fly, saw him come out to beans and lay down for about 1 hour, get up stumble and lay down again, I went to house, came back a while later followed blood and not a lot, lost it, never did find him. Saturday I had 2 more smaller bucks come to the shack, I didn’t shoot, and Sunday had 2 more come by. Gun opens Saturday I’m taking both, I so want one with the bow and will try if in my zone, I would be happy with a doe! But fellas I am having the time of my life! This is fun! Now I’m not first pumping the air, cause I know I’m killing, but I’m also providing for my family. I’ll keep at it till I get one with the bow.
    Western Kentucky

19. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Shoulder shots never end well.. that shoulder blade is never good.. been there and done that.. lots of people think they are " blowing through shoulder blades" when they are not.. they are blowing through cartilage not the actual shoulder blade.. it happens.the one that stumbled and laid down was likely guts, he needed a good 10-12 hours .. leave the gun at home dear lady.. take one with the bow if that's what you desire... I am glad to see you having fun, and not in the streets marching for some feminist non sense.. hunting is blind to the sexes, we accept all and stand with anyone who enjoys the outdoors.. go get em!

20. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    im learning! This is my second archery season. The first one I shot and ducked down lol. I dunno why. I was a lot more comfortable this past weekend still excited but more in control. It’s so much different than using the rifle, that’s easy. Not going to look at the horns so I don’t get all freaked out, just breathe and put the pin where I should. And I’m for sure not into the feminist crap, I hunt and fish keep the home front for the man, we both work but he travels, construction, carpenter so he built my she shack, equipped with a my buddy heater, he doesn’t mind I go out to hunt even on the days he is home.