Suggested/Recommended Draw Weight for Recurve?

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by afishhunter, Oct 30, 2019.

1. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After much deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that my hunting days are over.
    Phisical disabilities (such as the inability to walk 1/4 mile on a smooth hard surface without severe knee and hip pain) will keep me from going afield in search of game again, be it with modern rifle/shotgun, muzzleloader crossbow, or vertical bow. :(

I don't want to give up archery.
    My current recurve has an effective draw weight of around 50 to 55 pounds at my pathetic draw length.

What draw weight would y'all recommend for strictly shooting paper at an indoor 20 yard range with a recurve barebow?

I'm guessing 30 to 35 pounds would be sufficient?

I have not decided if I will shoot competitively yet.
    I doubt I will. From talking to the guys that do shoot competitively at the range, it sounds rather stressful and expensive.

(They are not discouraging me. They are not afraid of/worried about my abilities. All are much better than I with a barebow. I strongly believe I would consistantly win last place were I fool enough to enter a shoot against them.)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go to an archery shop and try different draw weights. Only you can judge what is comfortable for you.

3. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Problem with that.
    The local shoppe does have light bows to 35 pounds at a 28 inch draw. They normally don't stock traditional bows with a heavier pull. (the one I bought was a consignment bow)
    My draw length is 23 inches (I'm deformed) with my compound bow.
    My draw may be shorter with a recurve, since I cannot contort enough to reach the same anchor pount.
    I lose 2.5 pounds draw weight for every inch under whatever the bow is rated at.
    My current recurve is rated 70 pounds at 28 inches. At my 23 inch draw, I have an effective hunting legal for all big game in Idaho draw weight of 55 pounds. (confirmed on their draw weight scale)

Any new traditional bow I buy will be a special order.
    They won't special order bows for me to try. (Can't blame them for that.)

If I knew what brand my take-down recurve is, lighter limbs (if available) would be an option.
    Unfortunately, any brand decals that may have been on my bow were long gone before I got it.

4. LauraKenn

LauraKenn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see what you mean. Our local Bass Pro shop has a few recurves on the rack. Pondered buying one but scratched the idea when I saw the prices. I can buy a compound cheaper.