What is your dream?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Being from a small unincorporated town in southeast VA I have only ever hunted whitetails, turkeys, and small game. As an avid bowhunter that has only hunted whitetails it has always satisfied my thirst for big game...until now.. Although I love to hunt deer, I read a lot of books and watch a lot of videos of bowhunts for everything from elk to musk oxen.. I really hope to some day hunt other big game. When my kids are out of school and on their own and I have no obligations other than work. It would be a shame if I never touched the ground of Alaska for moose or the Rockies for elk. For now though, I will hunt what I have here, but just to see the vast wilderness and camp out there would be enough for me.. what say you? and for those that have done it, I would love to hear your most memorable trip.

Shocker99 likes this.
  2. fred_Bump

fred_Bump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn’t say no to a moose hunt. Grizzly would be quite a thrill too. We have elk here in KY but the lottery is a joke. When someone gets drawn 4 years in a row for a bull tag, that’s not random. It’s all about who you know or how much money you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I get more pride from shooting a buck on the property where I made the habitat than I could ever from an outfitted hunt.

Lung Buster likes this.
  4. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    damn

5. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    amen to that!

Sota likes this.
  6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been blessed to hunt or shadow (1 year) others in CO for elk OTC the past 4 years DIY.

When I hit 50, I decided I weighed too much (~240), and would lose weight. If I hit my goal (180) my reward would be to join others from this forum and learn.

Year 1 I just planned to learn and counted it a victory to just see an elk...and not be totally gassed in the mountains. Had an opportunity and was able to get to 40 yds from an elk. I also had a moose inside 10yds.

Each year I've learned more and more with more and more opportunities. But 2017 was awesome. My second year...my oldest daughter was getting married the beech spring so $ was tight...I passed on a license, but was able to join a member of the forum (Matt) , his Dad and his neighbor (Shawn). Matt and his Dad drew on a limited draw for elk. Shawn was going mule deer. The first 5 or 6 days I was Shawn's chauffer as we logged many miles road hunting...and conmmunting across the unit. We'd join back up in evenings to share camp and eat really well.

Shawn had chances and we did spot 1 monster mule deer (probably 180+), and a ton of doe and smaller deer. Also several moose and a vid of an ermine taking down a snowshoe hare.

Second to last evening Shawn's Dad tells me he's pretty worn out and would ride about with Shawn. I could follow Matt around.

Without a bow & license I was camera man, and we were in elk nearly all day. Dawn breaking we had a big old bull, we named the growler because of his calls, pinpointed...we just needed the thermals to change.

While we were jockeying to get close we saw a small herd above us on a ridge. We quickly ascended the ridge and got set.

We overshot the heard...but it s only about 8:30am. We grabbed a snack, dropped down the ridge and continued to wait out the thermals for the growler.

Just after the thermals changed we made our move. Through an old burn (sounds like your walking through packing peanuts as you try to stalk), we bumped a few mule deer and set up, when we thought we were close. A few calls and soon had 2 bulls circling us.

A missed shot, but we were back on one of the bulls in no time. A shredded pine, smelt like a Christmas tree farms trimmings, littering the forest floor. Soon we had eyes on the bull, from a ridge above it, calling back.

Within an hour a successful shot. 2 hours of tough blood trailing later. Success.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sota and Lung Buster like this.
  7. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was always my dream to go west for an elk hunt. I always thought they were just expensive as all because I thought you had to go with an outfitter. Well after extensive research and talking to game wardens and wildlife biologists in Colorado, got everything figured out to do a DIY elk hunt with my wife next year. Going to buy OTC tag for the unit I've researched and we are going to camp in the wilderness all week and do some trout fishing and maybe just maybe find and elk.

Vabowman and Lung Buster like this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to shoot a bull moose with a bow.

Vabowman likes this.
  9. 206moose

206moose Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dreams can come true. Set a goal and start saving. Even if it’s only $10 a week. Which is how I financed my first trip to Illinois. Took me 3 years each to save for moose and elk. Got lucky on both trips. Currently saving for brown bear in Alaska.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Once, just once kill a 150+ with a bow of my farm.

Vabowman, Ryguy3684 and Sota like this.
  11. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To never have to work again...like ever.

Vabowman likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So what is next?

13. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just want a place to go bowhunting. Even if it’s someone else’s farm/land, just to enjoy nature and have some peace and quiet after 25 years of dealing with the worst elements of society.
    Retirement can’t come soon enough.

14. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It'll never happen unless I win a big lottery but a Kodiak island brownie with a bow would be it.

15. Ryguy3684

Ryguy3684 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I've always hunted for the freezer, but I'd love for a big buck to walk in front of my arrow one day.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Longdraw likes this.
  16. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    this would be great! lol

17. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel ya..public school teacher here, and I promise you the day I can retire will be the happiest day since my kids were born! The education system is rotting from the inside out and I blame liberals in the profession.

Longdraw likes this.
  18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Southern Colorado Muley is my next archery goal. I would love to do a big trip to Alaska for moose and bear. And then their is the ultimate game, my neighbor. I'd love to hunt him on a 640 acre section just to be fair.. you know give him a thirty minute head start after I explain the deadliest game while drinking out of the last challenger's skull kinda hunt.

19. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve got a list of dreams. I scratched the bull elk a couple years ago and they have gotten under my skin for a bit. I’ve also unsuccessfully archery hunted black bears (spot and stalk), mule deer, and caribou. You can save some serious coin by doing these unguided, and to me it’s a lot more fun that way. Another huge benefit is that it will generally allow you to share the hunt with 1 or more good friends which just enhances the fun that much more.

One of my goals is to take all 5 of the deer species in North America. Last year I took a Coues so I’m sitting at 2. A Sitka trip and another
    Muley trip are in the makings in a couple years so hopefully I’ll be able to pick up some more.

The crown jewel right now is a DIY fly in moose hunt that is planned for next September with a good friend. 2 weeks in Alaska chasing rutted you bulls. I can’t wait!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Vabowman likes this.
  20. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bighorn Sheep and Caribou are first on my list. Then a Kudu in South Africa.

Vabowman likes this.